I Need To Recover My Files From Unaccessible Install

alright i messed up the bootloader when i reinstalled winodws on the first drive. well i installed linux over it to access my second hard drive to access it's files. well since it knew there was an install of linux on that drive it won't access it. someone once told me how to open up the drive but i forgot. if someone could tell me i'd much appreciate it. Thanks

no i formatted the first drive and installed FC4 so i could get my files on the other drive and put them on a disc and then go back and redo everything having 98se on 1st and FC4 on the 2nd. there was a tweak i was once told that would open up the other drive but i forgot what it was.

are you able to mount the drive?

if the files are on your slave(second ide drive), you should be able to mount them like this

mkdir /mnt/recovery
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/recovery

you second drives first partition should be available at the location /mnt/recovery.

hdb1 is the first partition, hdb2 is the second partition. Is it giving you problems or errors when you try to mount it?

both drives have only linux i trashed windows so i could recover my files in linux

i had no clue how to access drive 2 i'm not havein any real probs it's just you can't see drive 2 cause FC4 sees another os in that drive.

Edited by Honda_Boy

cool :-)

Just a thought. the location of your / partition is probably not /dev/hdb1, it is more likely /dev/hdb2, or /dev/hdb3 . An easy way to check would be with the fdisk command, it will show your partition table, your biggest partition will be the one you probably need to mount.

fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Edited by shanenin