When one of my friends formatted his hard drive and installed windows XP the drive was supposed to be a 60GB's but it was only 55.9GB's when we checked the bios it said 60GB's so I guess he didn't format it proper can you guys please give instructions on how to format a hard drive without this happening.

THX guys :D:lol:

not to mention that once you install windows XP and all of its componants, not to mention other things that work behind the curtians to make things function your not going to have the full 60ish Gigs anymore... that sounds about right to be left with 56ish Gigs

I was looking...but can't find...

I read that a 5 - 10% loss is common. You have a 6.83333333333334% loss. Allow 2-3 gigs for XP that bring you down to a 3-4% loss.

It sucks but that's just "The way the cookie crumbles."

M

Actually the reason for this is in the way the Manufacturer calculate a Gigabyte.

A true Gig is 1024MB but the Drive makers round this out to 1000MB when stating a drive capacity, so...

Drive maker says 60G but it is really arond 58G, then you can calculate a small percentage as "Lost" space

Dave

Actually the reason for this is in the way the Manufacturer calculate a Gigabyte.

A true Gig is 1024MB but the Drive makers round this out to 1000MB when stating a drive capacity, so...

Drive maker says 60G but it is really arond 58G, then you can calculate a small percentage as "Lost" space

Dave

Thanks Chappy! I couldn't remember the exact reasons.

The space that you do notsee is taken up by the autoexe.bat files that are permanent on the computer.

In addition to these files that are necessary, there are a whole bunch of duplicate files that are on your computer that you can not view even if you select show all hidden files. The links to some files are disabled by microsoft on purpose and can only be viewed by going through the DOS applications. Even if you accidently run accross these hidden files at a particular time, chances are that you will not be able to find them a second time unless you know what to look for and how to call them up, since they are programed to move around and stay hidden.

Since it is to complicated to explain here, you can go here

http://microsuck.com/contents/ms-hidden-files.shtml

and look fo the article "Microsoft's Really Hidden Files". I went through my system on some of the items and cleaned out a lot and regained almost 2-gigs of space and still have not hit pay dirt. Hope the info helps.