Now for the third time since I built it over the summer my computer will not boot. This time my problem might of started because I installed a new harddrive and a case fan. It worked fine yesterday and I was able to play battlefield 2 on it. It even worked this morning when I had to print something out. But this afternoon the image on the screen started to screw up. There wer thses lines and random boxes and other weird objects that kept poping up especially near moving objects such as my winamp player. It looked like interfearence on a TV. Then my picture just turned to fuzz. I turned my computer off manualy since I really couldnt see anything. Now it wont boot. Ussualy when my computer boots it beeps once or repeatedly and then my image appears on the screen. Now it wont beep and I dont get an image. I can hear my HD spin up and all the fans and CD drives are powerd. I see that the computer keeps cheking my CD drives over and over again because the lights keep blinking. It wont boot though. The green light on my case ussualy blinks but sometimes turns solid green like its supposed to. I unplugged the new HD and the fan but still nothing. I really dont know what to try next. I kinda think that the computer keeps reboooting after POST by the order my CD drives lights blink in succession but I cant be sure. Any other info you guys need to start working on this? I have windows PRO

Motherboard - DFI lanparty nf3

Video card - Radeon 9800 PRO

Uhh now as my own hypothosis could this can be me frying my hardrive or motherboard or VGA. I didnt pull out my entire antistatic kit when i installed my new HD. I just grounded myself on the power supply while it was plugged in. Cant remember what I might of touched while installing it and my case fan.

Modern boards and electronics aren't as finicky as they used to be. As long as you're not shuffling across the carpet then picking up the CPU with your bare hands, static isn't likely to be a problem. If you touched any metal part of the case beforehand you very likely discharged any static that could cause a problem, plugged in or not.

Now, Sid, I am a real Noob, but I remember reading about folks having awful problems due to their video card. Did you maybe bump it loose when you were installing the "new toys", or could it have loosened with the addition of a more powerful fan? And wait for the experts either confirm this or tell me I'm full of baloney (you all know I don't mind!), as this chicken has never opened a computer case!!! :thumbsup:

Liz

From your description I would first check the vid card like Liz said. Then I would check the ram and heatsink/cpu and make sure they are all well seated and the cpu doesn't have any brown spots on it. (burned)

Touching a plugged in and ground p/s should discharge your static electricity.

I would also try restting the cmos.

Ok i reset CMOS, Video card, ram and my harddrive. Im not even plugging in my second one yet. Now something has changed. Im still not getting a video output but after about 10 seconds or so there are two red lights wich start blinking on my motherboard. These lights usually turn on when i give power to the motherboard by turning on my P/S. Iv never seen them blink. My manual says they are the standby power led and the DRAM power led. have no clue what this means.