Disabling/locking Delete Key?

Hey all,

I was wondering if there is such a program that would prevent someone from deleting any file on a computer. or maybe there is a windows setting to do this? the problem i have is that some of the people in my house have tendencies to press the delete key randomly so its just a matter of time when an important file is deleted.

Edited by StealthG
Hey all,

I was wondering if there is such a program that would prevent someone from deleting any file on a computer. or maybe there is a windows setting to do this? the problem i have is that some of the people in my house have tendencies to press the delete key randomly so its just a matter of time when an important file is deleted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what os?

check u'r file permisions and/or group memberships. u can't, in all practicality, prevent users from deleting their own stuff.

Im using XP home edition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe try to train them to NOT hit DEL? ;)

xp home does not support full file level permissions for what i'd do w/ xp pro but ... u MAY be able to use the 'windows shared computer toolkit' which offers some nifty preventative measures. it's avail from MS and u should read the docs before u attempt to do such as some prep work in terms of having to repartion might be necessary.

even if u kill off the DEL key on the keyboard, they can still purge files. i think the best method here is 'if u DEL it, u don't get it back' ... that SHOULD be enuff to teach them. no offense intended but ... if they can't figure this DEL key thing out then ... maybe they shouldn't use a pc ;)

and i'd get a good backup routine or something like the xp sync powertoy or folderwatch which can make copies on the fly.

Edited by skeet6961

Previous advice, good. Why I went this way, I don't know:

Glue broken glass to the top of the key. Or pry the key off and push a pin through from underneath so it sticks out the top (then cut off the excess underneath). Glue small foil strips to either side of the key & wire them to the wall socket (single use, however). :thumbsup:

<edit> Guess I could'a been more specific as far as real advice; I'd make them learn (an electric dog training collar maybe?), OK, seriously, I'd use the previously mentioned keyboard mapping utility. Change the Delete key to another location like Scroll Lock (does ANYONE use that key any more?).

Edited by JDoors

I've been following this as I have a "blonde" daughter ;) Stealth, I personally would be stringent with back up copies of everything important and make sure hidden files are hidden. And nag incessantly, "watch what you are doing on the idiot box!!!!"

Wonder if you put bright red nailpolish on the Delete key to make it stand out?

My concern about disabling the delete key is what would happen if you needed to press Control-Alt-Delete to fix a glitch?

Broken glass, Jdoors? :D:D:D Love it.

Liz

Edited by blim

maybe deepfreeze, but that can be a pain. i guess you could have deepfreeze protect a partition (with all the important system files) and another that is for user files that it doesn't delete after reboot. you could also try to backup; a stratigy such as Ghost's "ISO image backup" may work for you. :thumbsup: