Hey guys, i am a highschool student in a computer class and today my documents got deleted off the server that the whole class saves stuff to. Im pretty sure an individual did it in that class, however have no way to prove it. i was wondering if the computer administrators at my school could trace who has edited/changed/deleted my folder... we are a novell networked network... i need to prove that it was that person or else i have to bite the bullet. anything at all would be appriciated. thanks.

Hey guys, i am a highschool student in a computer class and today my documents got deleted off the server that the whole class saves stuff to. Im pretty sure an individual did it in that class, however have no way to prove it. i was wondering if the computer administrators at my school could trace who has edited/changed/deleted my folder... we are a novell networked network... i need to prove that it was that person or else i have to bite the bullet. anything at all would be appriciated. thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

shouldn't u ask the netadmin at u'r school? u'd need them for this anyway.

yes very true, but first ill need to talk to the principal about it first to find out when i can setup an appointment to talk to him. I just wanted to know if there was a way or should i just forget about it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

u lost me ... but i don't really need to know.

in any event, the admin would be able to help u. why u'r hooked on the IP is puzzling ... all u'r gonna get is a location. u want the userID

i'd add that this is a direct responsiblity for the admin. that's my point here. u should direct this to them and ... i can't seem to get the idea of why u can't just ask them ;)

Edited by skeet6961

we all have the same user ID username is:lit1 password:student... i plan to ask them now, but before i wasnt sure if this was possible to do.. thank you for your response ohh and the IP thing, i could tel which computer it was on that way whoever sits at that workstation is screwed.

we all have the same user ID username is:lit1 password:student... i plan to ask them now, but before i wasnt sure if this was possible to do.. thank you for your response ohh and the IP thing, i could tel which computer it was on that way whoever sits at that workstation is screwed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean that only one person in the world can sit at that PC?

absolutly not, we have security cameras in that class (im guessing to prevent us youngins from hidding the schools main server in our backpack and taking it home)... but on a serious note, if we found out what time and from what IP the file deletion was done then we could pin point it. thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sounds good. i'd tell the admin that if they add userID for each, they'd save lots of $ on cams/tapes ;) hehe ... but i hear ya on the ip vs locaiton point.

Being a Novell admin (version 6), you will not be able to trace the deletion to an IP, unless the admin has installed 3rd party software for such things. Typically, the deletion only lists the username and the date/time stamp.

Perhaps that has changed in version 6.5, but I doubt it.

im really not sure if it would be backed up anywhere. the server that we use is one in the class room and is a tower type which i found out today is administered by our computer teacher... bad thing is he knows very little about networking. soo i dont know if the admins would even bother backing up his server. Also i doubt that the admins would be running a third party service (to trace deletings/editing ect.) since their job is most likely to keep the main servers running.