Defrag Issue?

Not sure i fthis is related to the problem I had in this post or not? http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php...857entry46857

If I leave my computer on everytime I go to use it disk defragmenter is running and says 0% complete. The box disappearsas soon as you move the mouse. I looked in the disk defrag properties to see if there was some sort of automatic schedule set up or something. There is not, but I noticed that the file was created in 2000, but was modified Monday August 29th 2005. I did not modify it to my knowledge. Any ideas?

On a side note how much system resources should be free?

Thanks

I'd try defragging in Safe Mode. If you still can't use yours restore it from the original disk (or from the hard drive if there's a restore folder or partition) or search for the ME version and use that. I no longer have the link but the Windows ME defragger works with 9x and is considered an improvement over the older version.

Resources vary enormously, and so does advice regarding them. Each item displayed uses another chunk of the limited amount of resources pre-XP Windows has available, so the less you display the more you have available for running programs (fewer icons, lower resolution/color depth, small tiled background instead of a large graphic, fewer background utilities such as screensavers, etc.).

In MY experience you don't even need to concern yourself about them unless they regularly dip below 30%. At that point another opened program or window may need more than Windows has left, or Windows may begin swapping to disk items that are still needed causing endless disk access. At that point Windows eventually missteps and crashes.

Ok just to repeat what JDoors said, boot to safe mode (I believe you're running 98SE so the hjt log says, so the link below should help):

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm#01

Then try running defrag. It will probably run, sometimes it can't run in normal mode due to the fact too many things are trying to access the drive, etc.. So safe mode should work. Have you tried running it in safe mode? If not, I would try it for sure. :thumbsup:

Edit: Thanks to Efwis for pointing this out to me:

I noticed that the file was created in 2000, but was modified Monday August 29th 2005. I did not modify it to my knowledge. Any ideas?

We think you may have a rootkit, but to make sure we would like you to do the following:

Jotti File Submission:

• Please go to Jotti's malware scan
  • Copy and paste the following file path into the "File to upload & scan"box on the top of the page:
    • C:\windows\system32\defrag.exe

[*] Click on the submit button

[*] Please post the results in your next reply.

Also, while in Safe Mode:

Download rkfiles.zip and unzip it to its own permanent folder.

Important! Reboot in SAFE MODE !!

Start in Safe Mode Using the F8 method:

• Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
  • As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.

Locate the rkfiles.bat file and double-click it to run it. It will start scanning your computer and could take a little while so be patient. When the DOS window closes, reboot back to normal mode.

Post the contents of C:\log.txt back here and I will review it when it comes in.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

B

• 1 month later...