(Solved) Pci Device Driver For Windows 2000

I just installed windows 2000. The device manager shows that I don't have a driver installed for the PCI device. I checked windows update with the reinstall driver wizard, but it could not find it and I have no software for it as far as I know. :blink:

I checked the driver site, but found nothing. :wacko:

Where do I get the driver for this? :unsure:

Thank you for your time. :mellow:

PS .... sorry about the double post .... when I first tried to post I got a "page not found" message, so I did it again and got the double post.

Edited by spirittoo
Heh. "The PCI Device"?

Its talking about one of your "PCI Cards". What  "PCI" cards do you have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure ..... :unsure: .... I don't think I have one .... it's the device manager that say I don't have a driver for it, but it doesn't specify want PCI device I need. :wacko:

Is the a + sign by it? If so, click on it and it will open it up and show you more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No there is a - sign with a yellow question mark next to "Other Devices"

below that there is another question mark with an exclaimation mark over it and it states "PCI Device". That's all she wrote.

Another question ..... do you know if windows 2000 pro has a firewall? If so where is it? If not can you recommend a freeware program?

Thanks

In Device Manager highlight the device then click the Properties button. It should name the device.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I did that it would only state that the device is unknown ..... anyway I found the drivers I installed the software for the mobo and that clear up everything. The device manager is happy now.

As for the question of a firewall for Win 2000, sorry it doesn't have one. Only XP does, and I think only after SP2 update does it work both ways. Also it isn't as good as a real one like Norton's Personal Firewall, or one of the free ones so often mentioned on the boards. If anyone with XP does get a real firewall, they should turn off the XP one I have read. But Windows 2000 doesn't have one, just as we don't have system restore either and probably a zillion other XP things, but I still like it...most of the time anyhow. :rolleyes:

I get my Norton antivirus and firewall free or nearly so every year with in store instant rebates, and mail-in rebates, and after first year I get upgrade rebates too, so it ends up being free.

If you are looking for an online free one, check out this thread (link below) for one (though have heard that Zone Alarm has had less positive feedback from people in last year or so, and that Sygate was bought out or is no longer free and the same with Keiro (sp?). Personally I like to have the disk and manual for mine so I get Norton's free after all the rebates. I even have the 2005 Internet Security, with antispyware (new) on hand for when my current subscriptions run out.

Check out this thread for links to all sorts of good stuff.

The list of good free stuff

Pat.

God bless everyone.