My Niece recommended a movie I probably would never have considered on my own, too "girly" (if you can say that without offending anyone nowadays). Holy cow. Seriously, this movie is as perfect a movie as I've ever seen: "The Man In The Moon." It's a few years old but as I said, not the type of movie I'd be picking off the rental shelf, so I missed it.

It was Reese Witherspoon's movie debut and it's ... well to be honest it's left me almost speechless. Every scene in this movie rings true, every bit of dialog, every performance. The settings, costumes, cinematography, all perfect for the period. It takes place in the '50's in a farming community. Two very close sisters are tested by their mutual attraction to a new neighbor (sound sappy enough for ya guys?). Some of the emotional pains these people experience, well, let's just say I'm glad I watched it by myself so I wouldn't have to explain to anyone how I managed to get something in my eye. OK ... both eyes ... that wouldn't go away. :blush:

Although my Niece doesn't know me as much as she thinks she does, as a kid I spent my summers on a farm, went swimming down by the "crick," fell in love, had my heart broken, and experienced many other events related to living on a working farm similar to what took place in this movie, so it packed one heck of an emotional wallop for me. I'm tellin' ya, this movie has it down to a 't'.

<edit> So ... I'm watching the news this morning and have a few minutes so I switch over to see what's on Oprah (I practically never watch it with the exception of the occasional "wow" episode, like the car giveaway). Who's today's guest? Reese Witherspoon. One of life's coincidences?

Edited by JDoors

Mmmmm, I seen that one, but it was a few years ago. (always watch them kind with the wife). I can't remember it to much. But I do believe it was one of the better movies I've seen.

Now you got me going. I'll have to pick it up and rewatch it to refreash my memory.

That was a good movie--my daughter made me watch that one years ago!!!!

Now, to show how "behind the times" I am, I watched the last half of Monsters Inc. tonight---was that ever cute, I'll have to try to watch the whole movie someday.

Liz

My Niece recommended a movie I probably would never have considered on my own, too "girly" (if you can say that without offending anyone nowadays). Holy cow. Seriously, this movie is as perfect a movie as I've ever seen: "The Man In The Moon." It's a few years old but as I said, not the type of movie I'd be picking off the rental shelf, so I missed it.

It was Reese Witherspoon's movie debut and it's ... well to be honest it's left me almost speechless. Every scene in this movie rings true, every bit of dialog, every performance. The settings, costumes, cinematography, all perfect for the period. It takes place in the '50's in a farming community. Two very close sisters are tested by their mutual attraction to a new neighbor (sound sappy enough for ya guys?). Some of the emotional pains these people experience, well, let's just say I'm glad I watched it by myself so I wouldn't have to explain to anyone how I managed to get something in my eye. OK ... both eyes ... that wouldn't go away.       :blush:

Although my Niece doesn't know me as much as she thinks she does, as a kid I spent my summers on a farm, went swimming down by the "crick," fell in love, had my heart broken, and experienced many other events related to living on a working farm similar to what took place in this movie, so it packed one heck of an emotional wallop for me. I'm tellin' ya, this movie has it down to a 't'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AWESOME MOVIE...man in the moon! My girl made me watch is one night...WOW...it was just very estatic movie that i would only watch with her, but WOULD watch it.

That was a good movie--my daughter made me watch that one years ago!!!! 

Now, to show how "behind the times" I am, I watched the last half of Monsters Inc. tonight---was that ever cute, I'll have to try to watch the whole movie someday.

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Monsters INC...LOL...another awesome movie...that i happen to watch yesterday as well...it was on the Disney Channel!

A few weeks ago, i watched "Just like Heaven" with Reese Witherspoon, it was a simple "Soul Mate" movie, but it put different prospectives on how your have to fine tune your feelings for the people you don't meet and and could have stepped out of the way to just hello to them!

Also for some of you baseball fans..."For the Love of the Game." Somethings are priceless, but don't happen that way unless the one that means to most is there to share!

"Lifes treasures are just the things you can hold on to and show off, but when the feelings you have when they are there and when they aren't there don't change, you'll be able to discover real treasure"dv

Edited by Vile_DR

Ya got me thinkin': What's the FIRST "perfect" movie you remember seeing?

For me it was 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'd have been about thirteen years old and had only seen movies at The Biograph, the theater on my street (at least it had history: John Dillinger was shot out back, and several movies on the subject had been filmed there since).

For 2001 I had to go downtown late at night, a mini-adventure right there. Then I had to find the one theater showing the movie; Marina City. Amazing architecture. That theater was huge compared to the Biograph, so I was ready for a heckuva movie experience. I was the only kid in the audience, for whatever that's worth.

Then ... Whoa, a movie like none I'd ever seen! Kubrick's signature direction, stunning ... well, everything. And a story that left more questions than it answered. Like nothing I'd ever seen. I was nearly dizzy as I left the theater. My mind was reeling so much I don't remember how I got home.

And for those of you who think 2001 is pretty tame, it wasn't for 1968. Other movies released in 1968:

Blackbeard's Ghost

The Planet of the Apes

Yours, Mine and Ours

The Odd Couple

Rosemary's Baby

The Green Berets

The Thomas Crown Affair

Funny Girl

Barbarella

The Lion in Winter

Oliver!

Some good, some not-so-good, but none as influential as 2001.

The first "perfect" movie I saw has to be either Wizard of Oz (on television) or Mary Poppins (in the theatre)

Yeah, I know, kinda lame, but I was a little kid and you wanted the first!!! ;) And I still love those movies.

Liz

I'd have to say "*batteries not included"  I just wiggle and get all fuzzy when I watch it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I loved that movie as a kid...couldn't watch enough..but it followes my all time list of favorites...

Dumb and Dumber

Spaceballs

Good Will Hunting

Full Metal Jacket

Oceans Eleven

wow i just realized how much more i could devulge into this...i have to stop...

Out of those I'd say Full Metal Jacket is significant, but then I think Kubrick is a genius. I still wouldn't put it on a list of "perfect" movies though. Very good, and very disturbing!

You got me thinking if there were any comedies I'd consider perfect or even significant, couldn't think of any. However when my friends and I saw Uncle Buck at the theater we laughed as long and as hard as we have ever laughed. At one point (which I'll descibe below) we were rocking with so much laughter we nearly broke the entire row of theater seats! The only reason we stopped laughing was because we were making a spectical of ourselves, everyone else had stopped and there we were, still hysterical. Not sure if it holds up since I haven't seen it but once since.

The scene that had us crying was when Uncle Buck went to the teacher to stand up for the kids. The teacher had a massive, scary, ugly, HAIRY mole on her face. After standing up for the kids, as he's about to leave, he flips a quarter on her desk and says, "Here's a quarter, why don't you go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face!"

Yeah, good times.

A Love Song for Bobby Long

John Travolta and Scarlett Johansson. Fantastic!!!!

Off the Map

Sam Elliot

Loved it!!! The young girl in it, can't remember her name. Is a great little actress.

She just may go far. :thumbsup:

Danny Deckchair

An Australian film. B) A favorite!

Edited by Scarlett

Hadn't heard of Off the Map so I looked it up. The actress portraying the daughter is Valentina de Angelis. Netflix didn't have any other movies with her in it so this may be her first movie. The critics and member's reviews made it sound pretty good so I added it to my queue, thanks for the recommendation.

(If anyone else is tempted be sure you enjoy "slow paced" movies, from the synopsis and reviews this isn't about car chases, explosions, gunfire, etc.)

Good grief, I cross-referenced the director -- He's been quite prolific.