Ok, so a while back ago i made a thread about how i was going to fix my friend's comp, i never got to it but he did let me have this computer he found(trash)

i put the harddrive from the machine into mine as a slave(after a few tries) and finally XP started and then is did some kind of scan disk on the drive.

the first time i tried to put the HD in my machine, nothing happened, it was just stuck on the DELL logo screen, after that it would tell me to strike F1 to retry and such

i figured out how to make the drive a slave then XP did it's magic

so i opened drive E: and it seemed ok, i found some music files and stuff, and it has windows ME on it.

so what i want to do now is maybe clean it up as much as i can, so all i want left is what is really neccesary like just ME and what it needs to run, but i don't have a windows ME disc of anykind

what i'm doing now is just running ad-aware, spybot, a2, and avg has found quite a few trojan horses :\

then i wanted to run hijack this on it, but i don't know how to make it scan that drive, i have it on my C: drive, can i run it from there like i am the ad-aware?

in a nutshell, i want to clean the E: drive so it is use-able with windows ME =)

any tips?

I doubt you'll get the Win ME OS to boot on your machine, the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) is totally different than the machine it was installed on.

XP probably had trouble booting at first, because it now has 2 boot sectors it was trying to read, and probably 2 C: drives as well, thus confusing it.

i'm not trying to use it on my machine, i'm trying to get it to work on a friend's machine, it is the same as the one that was trashed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So are you saying it won't boot when in the pc you want to perminantly put it in? If that is the case you can try this for starters. Get a boot floppy, it can be ME or 98 and boot with the floppy. You may have to set the bios to boot from the floppy first. Then on the A prompt type fdisk /mbr. It will blink quickly if you do it right and not give you any command errors. Then ctrl+alt+delete to start rebooting. Take out the floppy as soon as it starts rebooting. Just to be clear on this, you want to do this on the pc that will have that harddrive in it. Not the pc with XP. That harddrive should also be set as master in the pc on the first ide.

do you know anything about jumpers cause if you don't here's what you need to do to make installing slaves a little easier. look on the backside of the harddrive next to where the IDE cable goes. there should be pins labeled Master, Slave, and CS. you place the the little plastic thing (the jumper) on the pins of the desired status. I'm sure you already know this but with you saying the dell screen was hanging it sounded like you had both set as master like i did. my eMachine would just hang at the eMachine logo.

#EDITED#

ok i got the trashed(found in the trash) computer to work, after running adaware removers and an anti-virus, i'm on it right now, i got it to boot ,after several tries, and i got it connected to the internet.

it's a gateway with Microsoft 2000

now all i need to do is fix and delete anything i don't need, mabye even run a hijack this log?

problems:

When i boot it up windows will run a disk check on it(doesn't this mean the gard drive is gonna die soon :\ ? )

after that i have to press ctrl+alt+delete to get the sign on box, it says administrator in the username all i do is press enter and it works, how do i get rid of that so it just boots to windows?

an error message about some service or driver not working Serveice Control Manager At least one service or drive failed during system startup. Use event viewer to examine event for details.

runtime errors when i use the internet-it asks me to debug...

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

missing dll's- when i boot the computer it'll tell me certain dll's are missinguntitled.jpg

those dreaded pop ups from the messenger service:

untitled2.jpg

the active desktop- i'll get an alert in the background asking me to restore my active desktop.

that's what i know as of now...

any help with some of these problems?

BTW, i did finally figure out the jumper thing so i could use the drive as a slave...

EDIT: i updated windows

Edited by inferiormeansme

I'm not sure what you mean by gard drive? And Windows 2000 is different from Me, which is what you said you had in your original post. If the registry is corrupted, it will need to be fixed. You can do a chkdsk and defrag on it first. When you set it to run on reboot make sure you put a check on it to fix errors. The original info I gave you won't work on Windows 2000 if it is NTFS. You can also run sfc /scannow in a command prompt but if it finds problems, you will need a Windows 2000 disk to fix them. I am not aware of another way to fix a corrupted registry in this situation. Deleting extra programs is not your big problem right now. The registry is. There is also a chance that the harddrive has bad sectors on it and the corruption problem could be useless to fix any further. A chkdsk should show if there are bad sectors on it.

Dare I say it?...sure!

Linux could breathe new life into that machine. :lol:

If you have no specific use for the PC and it's just gonna be a spare toy, there's some good learning to be done by installing a linux distro...most PCs capable of running win2000 are usually more than capable of running most distros.

Would be a whole lot easier than trying to clean up the mess.

I'm not sure what you mean by gard drive? And Windows 2000 is different from Me, which is what you said you had in your original post. If the registry is corrupted, it will need to be fixed. You can do a chkdsk and defrag on it first. When you set it to run on reboot make sure you put a check on it to fix errors. The original info I gave you won't work on Windows 2000 if it is NTFS. You can also run sfc  /scannow in a command prompt but if it finds problems, you will need a Windows 2000 disk to fix them. I am not aware of another way to fix a corrupted registry in this situation. Deleting extra programs is not your big problem right now. The registry is. There is also a chance that the harddrive has bad sectors on it and the corruption problem could be useless to fix any further. A chkdsk should show if there are bad sectors on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry typo, i meant hard drive not gard.

when i boot the computer it gives me two options, boot "windows 2000", or boot "microsoft windows", when i choose windows 2000, it will boot "windows 2000 advanced server", and it WILL boot, when i choose "microsoft windows" it will ask me how to boot it, i'll choose normal and i'll get a windows ME loading screen, but the computer will shutdown right away, before it does something appears on the screen in orange font but the computer shuts down too fast to read it.

i'll do what you said, thanks

Dare I say it?...sure!

Linux could breathe new life into that machine.  :lol:

If you have no specific use for the PC and it's just gonna be a spare toy, there's some good learning to be done by installing a linux distro...most PCs capable of running win2000 are usually more than capable of running most distros.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is linux like? i've heard of it but never tried it out, is it hard? or how much diffrent is it from windows? and most importantly, is it freeee? =D

I'm not sure what you mean by gard drive? And Windows 2000 is different from Me, which is what you said you had in your original post. If the registry is corrupted, it will need to be fixed. You can do a chkdsk and defrag on it first. When you set it to run on reboot make sure you put a check on it to fix errors. The original info I gave you won't work on Windows 2000 if it is NTFS. You can also run sfc  /scannow in a command prompt but if it finds problems, you will need a Windows 2000 disk to fix them. I am not aware of another way to fix a corrupted registry in this situation. Deleting extra programs is not your big problem right now. The registry is. There is also a chance that the harddrive has bad sectors on it and the corruption problem could be useless to fix any further. A chkdsk should show if there are bad sectors on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry typo, i meant hard drive not gard.

when i boot the computer it gives me two options, boot "windows 2000", or boot "microsoft windows", when i choose windows 2000, it will boot "windows 2000 advanced server", and it WILL boot, when i choose "microsoft windows" it will ask me how to boot it, i'll choose normal and i'll get a windows ME loading screen, but the computer will shutdown right away, before it does something appears on the screen in orange font but the computer shuts down too fast to read it.

i'll do what you said, thanks

Dare I say it?...sure!

Linux could breathe new life into that machine.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is linux like? i've heard of it but never tried it out, is it hard? or how much diffrent is it from windows? and most importantly, is it freeee? =D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

most linux distros are free, i just downloaded the Ubuntu distro for my new pc and had no problems except the sond card, but got it working by asking for help on the forums. right now i am trying to get my old pc a gateway 400c running with Ubuntulite. the linux forum suport form here are great for helping people out, but try to do some research on the different distros. personaly i like Ubuntu. my pc is dule boot with win xp and Ubuntu. just download and burn the iso image and install.

sorry about being long winded. just finnished a 16 hour work shift.