Os 9.22 Reinstall Help..

topic sounds easy right.. I thought so..

ok to keep everyone up to date.. a few months ago I bought a g4 dual 400 (I know , but I can mix 24 tracks in garageband from my MOTU2408. with zero problems)

but being mhz envy I bout a dual 1.8 gig upgrade card.. now the problem..

I have OS 10.4 and only OS 10.4, As I saw no need for 9 and blew it away the day the box arrived from E-bay.

I am running firmware 1.8f something.. and need 1.9 or above to install the firmware patch to let the system see the new processers.

well you can't upgrade the firmware in OSX it must boot from a local 9.1 or better partition.. Great.. so now I spent another $30 on Ebay to buy os 9.2.2 (I figure I can also have classic mode with this)

now my question..

how do I load 9 with out messing up 10, and boot between them, I do have another harddrive if that would just make life simpler..

(note I have not recived my os 9 yet.. just planning ahead.. like I did not do the firs time..)

thanks..

I've only used OSX a few times (brother in-law has a powerbook, I love that freaking thing), but this how-to MAY help. To stray off the topic a second, with MAC laptops an x86 laptop just doesnt make sense. You can actually put a PowerBook on your lap without fear of never being able to father children, not to mention an incredible OS.

Edited by naraku9333

don't worry it's not nearly as hard as you might think. when you get the disk boot off the CD. (standard holding C key while booting with cd in drive or just select the cd in the start up disk preference pane in the system preferences.) go ahead and try to install OS 9. it'll install just fine with OS X. when done the OS 9 system folder should now be a bootable option in your start up disk preference pane. just select it and reboot.

lets us know if you run into any trouble. you might run into trouble depending on how OS X was installed the last time. but we can always find ways around that ;)

Anyone that can mix 24 tracks in garageband with a dual 400 G4 should have no problem getting OS 9 installed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the key to that is RAM.. 1.5 gig (max for this system)

and mixing is diffrent from recording.. I have a alesis HD 24 for that ..

don't worry it's not nearly as hard as you might think. when you get the disk boot off the CD. (standard holding C key while booting with cd in drive or just select the cd in the start up disk preference pane in the system preferences.) go ahead and try to install OS 9. it'll install just fine with OS X. when done the OS 9 system folder should now be a bootable option in your start up disk preference pane. just select it and reboot.

lets us know if you run into any trouble. you might run into trouble depending on how OS X was installed the last time. but we can always find ways around that ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, The CD still has not come in.. and I will be out for a week for work, so I'll let you guys know what happen when I get back..

Anyone that can mix 24 tracks in garageband with a dual 400 G4 should have no problem getting OS 9 installed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the key to that is RAM.. 1.5 gig (max for this system)

and mixing is diffrent from recording.. I have a alesis HD 24 for that ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah the advantage of memory based systems. upgrading ram on older Macs makes a huge difference with certain processes.

if anyones worried about OS 9 installing over OS X or conflicting with each other. don't, they're pretty well cut and dry and separated. 2 completely different systems so they will rarely conflict while installing.

ok.. to close this up , I booted the 9.22 Imac cd (yes in my g4 tower), and updated my firmware and have classic mode... I am now running with dual 1.8 gig processers.

not bad for a total out lay of $700 for dual 1.8 mac..

ok.. to close this up , I booted the 9.22 Imac cd (yes in my g4 tower), and updated my firmware and have classic mode... I am now running with dual 1.8 gig processers.

not bad for a total out lay of $700 for dual 1.8 mac..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very cool. I'm glad everything worked out for you, man! :thumbsup: