Setting Fedora Core 4 As Primary Boot On Grub

i wanna set my FC4 as the primary boot cause windows never works right and i always boot into linux anyway. i set Windows as the primary boot at first but now i want linux priamry. It uses whatever version of GRUB that came with FC4. HTanks for any help.

PS this is on my gateway not the sidewinder in my sig. older 800MHz PIII system with 98se

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, change the default line to whatever number Fedora is ie: if its the first OS (probably the case) the line should read

default 0

ya know for such an evil cartoon character your pretty helpful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evil gets boring after awhile (as does good) :P

Heh-heh, naraku9333 rules!  We're lucky to have him at the Linux forum! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Hitest, it's definately nice to feel appreciated every now and then.

Edited by naraku9333
ya know for such an evil cartoon character your pretty helpful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Evil gets boring after awhile (as does good) :P

Heh-heh, naraku9333 rules!  We're lucky to have him at the Linux forum! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Hitest, it's definately nice to feel appreciated every now and then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're very welcome:-) I'm glad you, shanenin, iccaros, and jcl are here!

Our Linux forum has the best experts!

Keep up the great work!

brick wall whether i have entered the root password or not it will not let me open the file it says i don't have proper permissions. do i have to open up the file properties amd say that the owner or all users can modify it or is that even possible.

brick wall whether i have entered the root password or not it will not let me open the file it says i don't have proper permissions. do i have to open up the file properties amd say that the owner or all users can modify it or is that even possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, thats pretty odd. Root should definately have write permisions to the file. Check the permisions of the file with

ls -l /boot/grub/menu.lst

if it doesnt show rwx for root

chmod 755 /boot/grub/menu.lst

Permissions shouldn't matter, root is omnipotent.

# echo foo >foo
# chmod 0000 foo
# ls -l foo
----------  1 root root 8 Oct  6 05:14 foo
# echo bar >>foo
# cat foo
foo
bar
# rm foo

Edited by jcl
Permissions shouldn't matter, root is omnipotent.

# echo foo >foo
# chmod 0000 foo
# ls -l foo
----------  1 root root 8 Oct  6 05:14 foo
# echo bar >>foo
# cat foo
foo
bar
# rm foo

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never tried that, definately good to know. Kinda makes you wonder why theres root permisions at all.

Nevermind, I most be too tired. Forgot the first byte is the file owner not root.

Edited by naraku9333

It sound like you are trying to execute a fiel that is not set to execute.

mainbox shane # touch file
mainbox shane # chmod -X file
mainbox shane # ./file
bash: ./file: Permission denied

what command, or how are you trying to edit you menu.lst file?

root has special abilities in the Kernel, another thing if you vi a read only file root can wq! and it will still write to it. This is why they created a Wheel group for somedistros so that not everone can even try to become root.

Bastille Linux add-ons remove the special root abilities from the kernel.

whoops just discovered that i can log-on as root. didn't know that. thought you just had to enter root password to be root. it's actually an account. who knew. (i honestly have no clue how i got the crazy idea to type root into the account name) naraku what you said worked. once i logged on as root i had access to the file. thanks for the help ya'll.

whoops just discovered that i can log-on as root. didn't know that. thought you just had to enter root password to be root. it's actually an account. who knew. (i honestly have no clue how i got the crazy idea to type root into the account name) naraku what you said worked. once i logged on as root i had access to the file. thanks for the help ya'll.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you can log on as root on most distros, some like Ubuntu (and OSX)disable the root account (cannot log in as root until its enabled). Those distros you use sudo for root tasks. Try not to gt into the habit of logging in as root it's just dagerous, use

su

(switch user)instead, just be carefull in either case ROOT=GOD.

Edited by naraku9333

i always log on to my regualr account. i've completely customized it and that took frickin ages and i ain't goin through that again. man KDE is so much better than windows, too bad you can't use KDE in windows.