Stumper...

Hey all

If anyone has noticed, I'm not online here as much as I used to be.

The reason is simple, but the problem is very much widespread. My ISP (Access Communications) simply loses the ability to resolve any domain name on the Net-Integration servers!!

Its very weird, and even my ISP has yet to figure it out, but over 250,000 users cannot connect to an Net-Integration server at certain times. Of course since Besttechie.net is hosted by NI, that means that I cannot get on either. Its almost like they just don't exist at times...

I can't even do a traceroute, all I get is "Unable to resolve target name"

This has been happening for the last week or so, and I'll be unable to get on for a couple of days, and then all of a sudden...its back...like now.

They're working on the problem and promised to call me back when they find the solution, if there is one.

What I, and they, would like to know, is if anyone else here has been having the same problems, or is it confined to our area alone?

Have you tried placing aluminum foil in your attic, and taping your cable to the rain gutters with scotch tape?

If that doesn't work, put on a bright yellow rain coat and run around your house 3 times counterclockwise repeating the words. "Thanks for all the fish" :lol:

NO seriously. I hope you get the problems cleared up. I know what it's like when you can't get connected. So I wish you good fortune. And hope they figure it out.

Howdy Dave, i seem to be haveing a similar problem >>>>> http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php...8&st=0&p=46921&

do you think they may be similar ??? all my other links worked last night except for COYOTE !!!!!! Strange, then it started working this morning !!!!!!! & they were not down !!!!

Later friend

Chuck

Chappy, I get it just occasionally, along with a real slow connect sometimes. Or even unable to click a page in a thread. I just move along to my other forums only to return to it being fine. I didn't know anyone else was getting it, I just thought some updating was going on at the server or forum itself.

Well, Chappy, your post put another wrinkle in my brain. Like Bozodog, I'll also sometimes have problems with an occasional site or series of sites. After rebooting the modem (....wait,...scroll and read again.... you did try that, didn't you??) I'll call Charter and hear a recording saying "we are experiencing intermittent problems in the following areas..."

I never thought that the "intermittent problems" could be the internet company having trouble connecting with a certain web address ending, like "net"....Now when the kids are wailing, I can tell them it has to do with the ending of the sites they're going to and sound techy ;)

Hope your ISP gets things figured out, 250,000 customers having the same problems has to be a real headache for them. At least you're not the only one!

Liz

this could be part of the trouble for you lately.

Network feud leads to Net blackout

Two major Internet backbone companies are feuding, potentially cutting off significant swaths of the Internet for some of each other's customers.

On Wednesday, network company Level 3 Communications cut off its direct "peering" connections to another big network company called Cogent Communications. That technical action means that some customers on each company's network now will find it impossible, or slower, to get to Web sites on the other company's network.

Hi everyone!

Well, this AM I could not get on, but just an hour ago it was all back to normal again.

I called my ISP again today, and this time the top techie and I went thru a whole bunch of stuff together. The final verdict of what is really happening is still not in, but he's put a tracer on all packets going thru the dns1accesscomm name server, and heading for any server registered to net-integration.

Efwis

We talked about that too, wonder if that may have something to do with all this stuff. When I can't access the site (or anything hosted by NI), its almost as if they just don't exist anymore for a time. Its truly weird...

TT75

That could also have something to do with it, never know at this point.

Liz, BD & Flash,

Hmmm...next time you guys can't connect, try a pathping to www.besttechie.net and see what happens. Also try typing nslookup www.besttechie.net at the command prompt, and post results please.

JSky

Will try...and will post results as soon as I'm released from jail...or loonie-bin, whichever I end up in.

Thx All!

"Liz, BD & Flash,

Hmmm...next time you guys can't connect, try a pathping to www.besttechie.net and see what happens. Also try typing nslookup www.besttechie.net at the command prompt, and post results please."

Ha!!! I have no idea what you're talking about (ping is a fun noise to make to aggravate your kids, right? *ping!!*).....But Bozodog and Flash do, I'm sure :thumbsup:

Liz

Edited by blim

Thanks Efwis, for the link to the CNet News article about this mess. I just read the article and all the comments about the problem.

They talked about alot of the same things I have been thinking about regarding this, and some added more info including who to report this to in the government. I found it all to be interesting reading.

How fragile the whole internet system is. We have seen it slowed by worms, and other slimeball stuff, and heard of possible future terrorist attacks to it, but it takes a couple of stupid shoot themselves in the foot companies to bring it to a crawl or take out whole sections of it and affecting many financially and others being 'just' inconvenienced by the mess. What a sad commentary on the capitalist system. Only out for themselves, and to heck with who they hurt. Well it will come back to haunt them I bet.

Now I wonder if it wont cause the government to try to regulate it due to the potential for undermining commerce, and to disrupt important communication especially since the world seems to be getting more dependent on the internet that it is now an important, almost an essential, tool for communication. So the various companies running things, like these two involved in this dispute, have been yelling for no government control, yet they do things like this that will almost guarantee getting some form of regulatory action on them? Definitely not their smartest move to keep the feds out of things. :wacko:

Also I wonder how many slow down times before this have been caused by some company pulling the rug out from under another for whatever reason and causing the dominoes to fall down the line? :unsure:

And another consideration, the UN has been wanting control of the internet, and US just recently said no again, but with this problem affecting several, if not many, countries it gives the UN more fodder to push for them to control things. As if they could do any better...yeah right...looking at their track record on other things I doubt that would work. :wacko:

I just hope this all gets resolved before it gets worse.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

quoting Liz:

Ha!!! I have no idea what you're talking about (ping is a fun noise to make to aggravate your kids, right? *ping!!*)

Hey Liz...I see your newbie label is getting old elsewhere on the boards so I think this might just be you "playing dumb" but just in case you're not playing. :lol:

PING (wikipedia.org)

I don't think I've ever had a use for ping outside of LAN troubleshooting but it does come in handy to know about it.

Oh, no, Tictoc, no playing dumb here!!! :thumbsup: Son tried to explain what a ping was (although he was mad at me poking him in the stomach saying, "ping"). I'm going to show him this article (thanks!!)

Now, to "watch a ping's thing", do you have to get one of those programs listed in the article?

Liz

Oh, no, Tictoc, no playing dumb here!!!  :thumbsup:  Son tried to explain what a ping was (although he was mad at me poking him in the stomach saying, "ping").  I'm going to show him this article (thanks!!)

Now, to "watch a ping's thing", do you have to get one of those programs listed in the article?

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Liz,

You have what you need to ping things in windows xp:-)

Programs-------->Accessories-------->Command Prompt

The command prompt will open up a black screen where you can enter commands and check to see if your network is working. For example I ping my router to see if my network problems are local (ie my router is down) or if my ISP is down.

ping (router address)

When I enter that command I can see if my router is working:-)

Oh, no, Tictoc, no playing dumb here!!!  :thumbsup:   Son tried to explain what a ping was (although he was mad at me poking him in the stomach saying, "ping").  I'm going to show him this article (thanks!!)

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Liz,

You have what you need to ping things in windows xp:-)

Programs-------->Accessories-------->Command Prompt

The command prompt will open up a black screen where you can enter commands and check to see if your network is working. For example I ping my router to see if my network problems are local (ie my router is down) or if my ISP is down.

ping (router address)

When I enter that command I can see if my router is working:-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, looka' that.....there is a command prompt box lurking in the computer. Heh, heh, yup, never knew it was there :blush: Wouldn't have touched it even if I did know it was there--looks mighty DOS-ish.

Thanks Tictoc and Hitest!!! Now that I know what it does, I'll have to give that "new toy" a try.

Liz

Well, looka' that.....there is a command prompt box lurking in the computer.  Heh, heh, yup, never knew it was there  :blush:  Wouldn't have touched it even if I did know it was there--looks mighty DOS-ish. 

Thanks Tictoc and Hitest!!!  Now that I know what it does,  I'll have to give that "new toy" a try.

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're very welcome, Liz! :D

Yes, the XP command prompt is very DOS-like.

Chappy, heres what i got following your suggestion above !!!!!!

Can't find server name for

address 212.97.132.112: timed out

server : un-known

address : 212.97.132.112

dns request timed out.

time out was 2 seconds.

dns request timed out.

time out was 2 seconds.

*** request to un-known timed out.

thats all greek to me !!!!!!!

Hi Flash,

I got to Tom Coyote (through Google, if it makes a difference) Did notice it ended in "org". Have you tried any other sites with that ending (thinking of Chappy's dilemma) like PBS.org?

Greek to me, too, isn't a "timeout" punishment for being naughty?? :blink:

Liz

yep LIZ timeout is being sent to ya room. & yes it ends with org. don't think that should make a difference but need better tech help than this brain can come up with. i pmed whiskeyman & he could get there but they wouldn't reconigize his name !! If it wasn't for my classes there doing logs i'd just give up on it !!!

any who's thanks LIZ

STAY SAFE friend

... dns request timed out.

time out was 2 seconds. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cripes, I don't know about this stuff but it seems to me that 2 seconds isn't much time to wait for anything. Sure, you might expect a response in less time than that, but if things "stick" occasionally I'd guess increasing that setting would give it time to "unstick." Um, no, I don't know where that setting is. :blush:

I'm sure an Internet "tweak" utility would give you easy access to it though. Worth a try? (Say, increase it to 5, for starters?) (It's a TOTAL guess.) (But you probably knew that.) (Ok, I'm done.)

... dns request timed out.

time out was 2 seconds. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cripes, I don't know about this stuff but it seems to me that 2 seconds isn't much time to wait for anything. Sure, you might expect a response in less time than that, but if things "stick" occasionally I'd guess increasing that setting would give it time to "unstick." Um, no, I don't know where that setting is. :blush:

I'm sure an Internet "tweak" utility would give you easy access to it though. Worth a try? (Say, increase it to 5, for starters?) (It's a TOTAL guess.) (But you probably knew that.) (Ok, I'm done.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Y'all

Still on again, off again for me here. My ISP's top techie said he's never seen anything like this before. He, like me, say's its almost like these sites just stop existing....and then they do again....must be that black-hole we fell into, has transported us into a parallel dimension, where things suddenly cease existing for no reason.

JDoors, in Internet ping time, 2 seconds is an eternity, normal times are measured in milliseconds. For example, I just pathpinged Google.ca and had a return trip time of 76ms over 11 hops, 6.9ms per hop. So waiting 2 seconds is around 26,000 times more time than it should take....;)

Well, whatever is causing this problem, I sure do hope it gets sorted out soon, I'm getting tired of that Can't find server message while trying to get to my home site here.