I wanna find a Mac Dual G5 mobo and a couple of G5 processors from eBay and buy the rest from newegg. i seem to remember something on TSS 2-3 years ago about building your own macs and it not being legal. my brother needs to upgrade from his woefully underpowered G4 iMac for his audio software (256mb pc2100 ram 800mhz CPU) but he is kinda low on cash and dual G5 Macs are expensive (they overcharge for things like displays ram and others and not just upgrades but the basic system itself). Also is this even doable are their specail PSU's or case configurations. Will regual drives like Lite-On's work. will a video card like a regular GeForce 6200 or 6600 work (i've seen some Mac versions of a few cards but i'm not sure what is different AGP is AGP). Thanks for any help.

There is nothing illegal about building a mac. The problem is even if you could find a logic board (mobo) and some G5's it would cost more to build one then to buy one new.

Tell him to save his money and wait there are some incredible mac's coming out soon. Even if he can't afford a new one this will bring the price of old models down.

What audio software is he using? And 256mb of ram is minimum to run os x if he drops in another 512 he will see better performance. I've been doing recording on mac's for a few years now and started with machines slower then 800mhz G4.

Edited by isteve

his protools or mbox or some of his other hardware and software (he has a LOT of stuff) causes the sytem to crash cause it can't handle it. the CPU is the biggest prob (plus it'd be nice to have a system more upgradable than his current one)

Yea.. I understand the imac G4 was really not meant for high end apps. Although the new imacs are pretty upgradeable he really needs a powermac, of course even a mac mini will out perform his old imac. He still should put some more ram in the imac anyway, he can get it from just about anyone.

Also this won't help much but OWC is a great place for mac upgrades.

Honda_Boy your not doing anything illegal. what your thinking of is there was a company putting the guts of Macs into their own custom cases and reselling them. that was illegal but not building a Mac.

the old iMacs were not designed with upgrades in mind and parts are not easy to come buy. there are plenty of upgrades for them but he really is better off just saving a little and getting a new Mac or and older Powermac like the old Dual Mirror G4s. with a little work and OS X they're pretty powerful for cheap. well for a Mac anyways.