Ok I installed XP on a new hard drive was going to make a 20GB partition but did 2 GB I turned the computer of an formated installed xp on the drive with no partitons start the system still have the 2GB partition ok was going to just format it but it has hidden system files on it is there any way to transfer this files so i can get rid of this partition.

Are you sure you deleted the partitions after the first time? It sounds like you just formatted (formating and partitioning are to different things). If you want to merge the 2G part to the rest then use partition magic or the like (windows diskmanagement MAY be able to handle merging but I dont remember off hand).

If I put my xp cd in a get rid of the partition it wont screw my other partition im not sure if there is system files on the 2GB partition here are this files on the disk AUTOEXEC,boot,config,NTDETECT,pagefile,IO,MSDOS,ntldr?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did the install finish? If not it would be easier to delete the parts, re-partition and re-install.

whoa hangon you have a 160 gig harddrive. and you said there is a 158 gig partition. your system almost never registers all of what is advertised. are you sure there is another partition?

What happened is that the boot files were installed onto the 2G drive...its probably the C: drive right?

XP will install the boot files to C:, even if that is not the same drive the OS is on, so if the 2G drive was created first, it was designated as C: and XP loaded the boot files onto it.

As others have said, I would just start over again and erase that 2G drive, and reinstall XP. Its not worth spending that kind of $$$ on Part. Magic just for this, and there really isn't another way to do it without spending money for a 3rd party partitioning tool.