Debian Version Of Fire Fox

This is a note to all of you Debian 3.1 users out there. I just re-loaded my repositories today and noticed that there's a new version of Fire Fox availble, 1.0.4-2sarge4. :thumbsup:

If you've already go it please disregard this notice. I'm not sure how long this has been available. :D

This is a note to all of you Debian 3.1 users out there. I just re-loaded my repositories today and noticed that there's a new version of Fire Fox availble, 1.0.4-2sarge4. :thumbsup:

If you've already go it please disregard this notice. I'm not sure how long this has been available. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Further to my previous post, 1.0.4-2sarge5 is now available. :D

Not to sound like I'm bashing Debian but aren't they a bit behind? Or are these repackaged 1.0.7 versions and given a deb name?

I know they're known for only releasing the most stable apps and have an outrageously long release cycle (imo) but I remember a few upgrades to firefox being significant security flaw upgrades and one would think that might qualify it to go right to the repo.

Not to sound like I'm bashing Debian but aren't they a bit behind? Or are these repackaged 1.0.7 versions and given a deb name?

I know they're known for only releasing the most stable apps and have an outrageously long release cycle (imo) but I remember a few upgrades to firefox being significant security flaw upgrades and one would think that might qualify it to go right to the repo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aren't they still using a 2.4 kernel by default? I know I accidently downloaded 3.0 and it used 2.2. I see there point to using stable versions, but IMO thats more dangerous as some of the software must have vulnerabilities that get patched with new releases.

Edited by naraku9333

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The latest version of Debian Fire Fox has all the security fixes included in 1.0.7. So it is virtually the same as 1.0.7.

Edited by hitest

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aren't they still using a 2.4 kernel by default? I know I accidently downloaded 3.0 and it used 2.2. I see there point to using stable versions, but IMO thats moe dangerous as some of the software must have vulnerabilities that get patched with new releases.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Debian uses the 2.4 kernel by default, but, I've found that it runs very well on this old box. Apt-get, and synaptic are great. Using on-line updates with some distros will break your system, I've not had any issues updating my Debian box yet.

I'll concede that the 2.4 kernel isn't as advanced as the 2.6x kernel.

Apt seems to be really anal about dependencies. While trying to install Varicad (didn't need it, just wanted to try it) a few weeks ago an

apt-get -f install

after an attempt to install a dependency Varicad reqiured failed (I forget the package name) uninstalled more than half the installed app's. Was pretty funny nearly every KDE app was removed from this Kubuntu install (girlfriends laptop). I'll admit I have fairly little experience with debian (based) distros, I prefer Gentoo to all others which by the way installed Varicad with no problems although it wont run due to a missing 32 bit library (I run 64 bit cuz I enjoy makin my life harder ;P ). Dont take this as a "I hate Debian" rant, I actually like Ubuntu alot (Gento o still rules all), just need more experience with apt.

Apt seems to be really anal about dependencies. While trying to install Varicad (didn't need it, just wanted to try it) a few weeks ago an
apt-get -f install

after an attempt to install a dependency Varicad reqiured failed (I forget the package name) uninstalled more than half the installed app's. Was pretty funny nearly every KDE app was removed from this Kubuntu install (girlfriends laptop). I'll admit I have fairly little experience with debian (based) distros, I prefer Gentoo to all others which by the way installed Varicad with no problems although it wont run due to a missing 32 bit library (I run 64 bit cuz I enjoy makin my life harder ;P ). Dont take this as a "I hate Debian" rant, I actually like Ubuntu alot (Gento o still rules all), just need more experience with apt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frontends are useful, try Synaptic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aren't they still using a 2.4 kernel by default? I know I accidently downloaded 3.0 and it used 2.2. I see there point to using stable versions, but IMO thats more dangerous as some of the software must have vulnerabilities that get patched with new releases.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Debian project will often times simply roll their own security patches. It does get a bit confusing to people who are used to something like Gentoo, though.

Anyway, you *can* install 2.6 from the get-go in woody. Just pass bf26 when starting the installer. I'm not sure if Sarge defaults to 2.6 or not.

Edited by TheLetterK
apt-get -f install

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, I don't take this as an anti-Debian thread at all. I really like Ubuntu and Debian (I use both), I'm getting used to how Debian/Ubuntu handles installations. I first had problems setting up printing on my Debian box, but eventually figured out how to use apt, apt handled it easily, with two shell commands CUPS was installed, configured, dependencies handled for my Epson printer:

aptitude -r install foomatic-bin, cupsys-driver-gimpprint

I know very little about Gentoo, and at some point will try to learn more about it, and install it. :D