Maximizing Ups Life And Reliability

Well, I put it off for far too long. But now, I finally have a UPS on my computer. It's just a small one, rated only 575VA/345W (I'm not looking to continue working during power failures, just hoping for a few extra minutes so it'll shut down properly), but it seems to work beautifully.

Anyway, since this is my first UPS, I was wondering if there is any regular maintenance I need to do, any steps that need to be done to help maximize the life and reliability of the UPS. About the only maintenance the manual goes into is how often it should be recharged while in long-term storage.

BTW, if you're wondering, the model of UPS I got is the OPTI UPS Value Series 575C (Like I said, small, but sufficient for my needs).

Edited by Torin_Darkflight
Plug it into the wall.  Plug devices into it.  Forget about it.

Sealed lead acid batteries don't need a whole lot of attention when they're just sitting there waiting to be called into duty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. The lead acid batteries used in UPS devices shouldn't be deep-cycled (discharged). Just plug them in and forget them. They'll usually last for five years plus. The only thing you should be concerned about is not letting them get over heated or frozen. Keep them in an open area indoors. My Belkin has been plugged in, turned on and working fine for three years now.