I am running windows 98se. I had this happen to me with 2 different usb devices. I plug in the usb device (external cd burner the first exercise) the computer recognizes it, load the drivers / software. Everything is good, and it works great. I restart the computer, and it will no longer recognize the Cd burner. 2nd device was an ipod. I downloaded drivers to be able to use my ipod with windows 98 (I tried them on another computer first and they worked flawlessly) I bought anapod, and then plugged in my ipod. The computer recognized the ipod as a removable drive. As I was using anapod I think I tried to transfer too many songs at one time and ground my prehistoric computer to a halt and it hung. I ctrl-alt-del to close anapod, ejected the ipod, and restarted the computer. Now the computer will not recognize the ipod? Yet the ipod is charging when plugged into the usb port.

Then I bought a new usb2 hub, installed it and the computer still doesnt recognize the ipod.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

I am running windows 98se. I had this happen to me with 2 different usb devices. I plug in the usb device (external cd burner the first exercise) the computer recognizes it, load the drivers / software. Everything is good, and it works great. I restart the computer, and it will no longer recognize the Cd burner. 2nd device was an ipod. I downloaded drivers to be able to use my ipod with windows 98 (I tried them on another computer first and they worked flawlessly) I bought anapod, and then plugged in my ipod. The computer recognized the ipod as a removable drive. As I was using anapod I think I tried to transfer too many songs at one time and ground my prehistoric computer to a halt and it hung. I ctrl-alt-del to close anapod, ejected the ipod, and restarted the computer. Now the computer will not recognize the ipod? Yet the ipod is charging when plugged into the usb port.

Then I bought a new usb2 hub, installed it and the computer still doesnt recognize the ipod.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a tough one.

I have enough problems with iPod and WinXP! :o

Maybe restore the iPod and reinstall the 98 divers? You'll lose all your data though, unless you can back it up.

Maybe even reinstall Anapod?

I'm sure you know that Win98 does not support USB2.0. So your hub will only transfer with USB1 speeds.

Good luck.

Joe

Hmmm.... I didn' know this:

"Many USB 2.0 card manufacturers have developed USB 2.0 drivers for Win98 SE, ME and Win2000.

Although, all PCI/USB cards are currently using the same NEC µPD720120GC-9EU, the drivers are by and large proprietary and only function with the branded USB2.0/PCI card that the drivers are written for. In other words, the drivers obtained from Keyspan will NOT work with an Adaptec card and vice versa.

If you plan to use USB 2.0 with Windows 98SE and ME and your older motherboard, your only option is to purchase a card from a manufacturer that supplies the drivers for your OS" (from USB Man)

Edited by irregularjoe
... Hmmm.... I didn' know this:

"Many USB 2.0 card manufacturers have developed USB 2.0 drivers for Win98 SE, ME and Win2000. 

Although, all PCI/USB cards are currently using the same NEC µPD720120GC-9EU, the drivers are by and large proprietary and only function with the branded USB2.0/PCI card that the drivers are written for.  In other words, the drivers obtained from Keyspan will NOT work with an  Adaptec card and vice versa. 

If you plan to use USB 2.0 with Windows 98SE and ME and your older motherboard, your only option is to purchase a card from a manufacturer that supplies the drivers for your OS" (from USB Man)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you may have hit the mark here. It may be an incompatibility with 1.0 vs. 2.0.

I have a 2.0 card up and running on my '9x machine.

... Hmmm.... I didn' know this:

Although, all PCI/USB cards are currently using the same NEC µPD720120GC-9EU, the drivers are by and large proprietary and only function with the branded USB2.0/PCI card that the drivers are written for.  In other words, the drivers obtained from Keyspan will NOT work with an  Adaptec card and vice versa. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you may have hit the mark here. It may be an incompatibility with 1.0 vs. 2.0.

I have a 2.0 card up and running on my '9x machine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the same exact computer at home, and it works fine there. But all my music is on this computer. I had windows re-installed a few months ago, and I think it may be related to that. I found out that a usb mouse works fine, but anything that is an external driver wont work. Is there any way to re-install windows without wiping out all my files?