Question On Installing Xp

OK folks I was just wondering something. I know I can't use my XP disk and key on installing it on 2 or more computers, but what if someone bought a pc with XP pre-installed but no cd? Would I be breaking any laws by using my cd, but using the key that they have with your computer? The computer in question is a fairly new HP with a restore partition on it, but with all of the junk that they load on it, it runs like crap. Would their key work with a fresh install?

Worst case - borrow a copy, don't activite it, and make a call to Indian Tech support to read off a 20some digit number to a computer than to a person. I've only had to do this a couple hundred times at work, lol!

Good tip for anyone, if you know you are going to need to talk to someone at Microsoft and you get a machine, just say HELP and it'll ask if you need help then transfer you - this happens alot with reformatting eMachines

OK folks I was just wondering something.  I know I can't use my XP disk and key on installing it on 2 or more computers, but what if someone bought a pc with XP pre-installed but no cd?  Would I be breaking any laws by using my cd, but using the key that they have with your computer?  The computer in question is a fairly new HP with a restore partition on it, but with all of the junk that they load on it, it runs like crap.  Would their key work with a fresh install?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The key won't work, its an oem key for that machine and won't work on a different cd. Unless the pc came with a seperate XP cd , which it doesn't appear to have.

I don't think MSFT would have a problem with you reinstalling it as a plain vanilla setup, although, technically it might violate a OEM agreement with the manufacturer of the pc.

OK folks I was just wondering something.  I know I can't use my XP disk and key on installing it on 2 or more computers, but what if someone bought a pc with XP pre-installed but no cd?  Would I be breaking any laws by using my cd, but using the key that they have with your computer?  The computer in question is a fairly new HP with a restore partition on it, but with all of the junk that they load on it, it runs like crap.  Would their key work with a fresh install?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it will not work. also the key used on teh pc with XP preinstalled that has a restore partition, is an OEM, and it can not be transfered to another pc. also i tried to do what you are talking about, and it will not work.

I had an hp computer that came preinstalled with windows XP. I later installed linux on that computer. I since built a new computer, and installed with an oem disk and the cd key from my hp computer. All I had to do was call microsoft and tell them what I did, and they activated it.

Worst case - borrow a copy, don't activite it, and make a call to Indian Tech support to read off a 20some digit number to a computer than to a person.  I've only had to do this a couple hundred times at work, lol!

Good tip for anyone, if you know you are going to need to talk to someone at Microsoft and you get a machine, just say HELP and it'll ask if you need help then transfer you - this happens alot with reformatting eMachines

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

borrow a copy, don't activite it

I am going into business doing repair in febrauary, so I am sure I will be doing this alot. Are you saying to use the key that is on the COA of the computer you want to reformat, or the key that came with the cd(the one you said to borrow) you are using to install it?

I am going into business doing repair in febrauary, so I am sure I will be doing this alot. Are you saying to use the key that is on the COA of the computer you want to reformat, or the key that came with the cd(the one you said to borrow) you are using to install it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have to ask this question, you need to study up a little more before you go into business and get somebody's PC messed up

I will do just fine :-) To be honest, there is a lot I have not ever done, but am confident I can figure anything out. I have a brain and natural instinct to make things work. My customers will leave happy, because they got good service, and at a good price.

I own a copy of xp sp1 and xp sp2 oems. I assumbed I can use these with the cd key on the coa of the computer I am working on. I have used this method in the past, but was wondering if there is a better way.

your solution of buying multiple licences, does not make any sence. The people already own a licence, that one that came with there computer.

Edited by shanenin

I have used my WinXP Home OEM disk on a Gateway and EMachine that had XP Home (OEM) previously installed on them. You need to use the key that came with the PC. I had no problems activating or updating to SP2. OEM keys work with OEM disks only. You cannot use a Dell disk on a HP and etc. though. I cannot say this will work in every situation.

I had an hp computer that came preinstalled with windows XP. I later installed linux on that computer. I since built a new computer, and installed with an oem disk and the cd key from my hp computer. All I had to do was call microsoft and tell them what I did, and they activated it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, I could install it but I would have to call MS to be able to use it? Sounds simple enough. Knowing my luck it will not go that easy.

It depends on your version of WinXP. Why not just vanilla the PC and use the restore partiton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason I don't want to use the restore partition is because HP has so much junk on there that just bogs down the system. It will not let you do a bare install. It has to all all of their "Features", and I use that term very lightly.

And btw, someone told me once that on some pc's that have the restore partition that sometimes part of the bios is stored there. So if you trie to del. the partition it will del. part or all of your bios settings. Anyone ever heard of this?

The reason I don't want to use the restore partition is because HP has so much junk on there that just bogs down the system. It will not let you do a bare install. It has to all all of their "Features", and I use that term very lightly.

On 4 or 5 Dell's that I have used the Restore disc on, there wasn't a lot of junk left on it. There were 3 or 4 other disc to load the unwanted crap on. I just bought a new Dell laptop and the first thing I did was delete all the crap that I didn't want then installed a AV and Firewall and the other programs that I wanted. Had 26 Critical updates to do also.