C++ Or Python

Hey all, I was just wondering which is better to start with, C++ or python? I have *Very Limited* knowledge of C++, but not really enough to do anything useful. I have seen books on python at local bookstores but haven't really picked one up and looked in it. I have been hearing a lot about python so I was wanting a little info on it. Like do you have to have anything special installed on your computer to run the programs, or will it make a .exe (or something like) that will run on any box? Anyway, thanks for the future help.

I would say python myself. It is a joy to use. You can make something useful with python without a whole lot of experience. that makes it very satisfying to use. I think I read you can make a similar parogram in python using 1/5 the code needed with c++

this guy wrote a much more elequent explanation on learning python first

http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/foreword.html

Like do you have to have anything special installed on your computer to run the programs, or will it make a .exe (or something like) that will run on any box?

you will need to install python on your computer. There are ways to make executables using something called py2exe, for example, Bittorent is a python app that uses p2exe to mae it an executable.

• 2 months later...

I have to agree, python is a good place to start, it's easy and pretty much straight forward.

there is a ebook tutorial on using Python called Byte of Python. you can go here and download whatever version you like.

http://bop.iabusinessprojects.com/

this is my mirror of the books different versions.

Availavble Version I have up are:

HTMl
HMTL Zipped for offline browsing
PDF
text

Hope this helps

Edited by Dragon