The Myths Of New Orleans

Yes, I seen on the news where there weren't nearly as many as everyone expected. That is good news.

We all know how rumors go. By the time 10 or 50 people repeat a story...... I'm supprised the southern states didn't fall into the sea.

"I've got a report of 200 bodies in the Dome," [Louisiana National Guard Col.)]Beron recalls the doctor saying.

The real total was six, Beron said.

Of those, four died of natural causes, one overdosed and another jumped to his death in an apparent suicide."

As I recall, officials were claiming the death toll area-wide might be as many as TEN THOUSAND. Way to stir things up.

I have an explanation why the press got it so very, very wrong, but it might start some controversy so I won't express it. :unsure:

"I've got a report of 200 bodies in the Dome," [Louisiana National Guard Col.)]Beron recalls the doctor saying.

The real total was six, Beron said.

Of those, four died of natural causes, one overdosed and another jumped to his death in an apparent suicide."

As I recall, officials were claiming the death toll area-wide might be as many as TEN THOUSAND. Way to stir things up.

I have an explanation why the press got it so very, very wrong, but it might start some controversy so I won't express it. :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I would probably agree with what you are thinking

and since when are we afraid of controversy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

Are you new here? ;)

It's a "liberal media" thing, ya really wanna get in the middle of that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YUP...think that puts the whole thing into prospective!

What I don't quite get is how the 'horrors' were widely reported and now the exact same media outlets are reporting how much of that was rumor and speculation, without mentioning, of course, that THEY were the ones that spread those rumors and speculation nationwide in the first place!

Apparently they feel no culpability for spreading rumors and speculation and bear no responsibility to get the facts right before they report on a story. To me that makes any outlet that repeated those rumors and speculation without clearly defining them as such as low as the lowest tabloid. Unless they come right out and apologize for being in the wrong -- and the odds of that happening are less than slim to say the least.

Further comment self-censored! :rolleyes: