hey,guys!

let me be the one to post the first problem here (officially, chappy's thread wasnt his problem :D )

i'll be setting up my first network.

well,i simply want to share my printer and internet connection between my laptop and desktop.

currently,im just thinking of adding a LAN to my desktop so i can use LAN as my basic setup.but i sometime want to work outside my room.

with that in mind,wireless seems to be a tempting setup to have.

but the only advantage i can see with going wireless is that i can access the net wherever in the house.and the big downside to it is the price of routers.

if i go wireless,how many pc's can i hook it up with?

because im expecting a few more pc's in the future.

can i also network linux with windows?

will linksys be a nice hardware to have?

thanks!

First off let me say I know nothing about the subject. But that doesn't usually stop me from chiming in on things. Ha! :rolleyes:

But sometime ago someone posted these links on another board.

Tutorials on networking

Practically networked

Microsoft's info on networking

I don't know if these will help or not. I saved them for "someday" in my favorites.

God Bless everyone.

I had a lot of trouble setting up my network. I am using a Linksys BEFW11S4 router and at the time I had a D-Link PCI card in my daughters computer upstairs. Verizon said it was compatable, so I went ahead. No good. I called tech support again, and they sent me to a Linksys site, http://kb.linksys.com, which whisked me away to another site I dont remember, but they configured the router from there for me (remotely), and they suggested I purchase a Linksys card for upstairs comp. (of course, but it did work), and I have not had a problem yet, even though only running about a month so far.

Anyway, take a look at the site above. May be of help, if you have, or are thinking of purchasing Linksys.

Good luck

Rich

We need to know what OS your using on both comp's first off. You dont have to use a router with just two computers, you can use a crossover cable and link them directly (by the way linksys routers you can pick up fairly cheep). If your going to run your desktop with XP and laptop with XP, for example, then you should be able to simply run the network config. wizzard. Make a disk (floppy) when it asks you to then reboot desktop. Put the disk in your laptop and run netsetup.exe. Also, in case you dont know you need to have network cards installed and cables connected BEFORE you run the wizzard (if cables are hooked up correctly the green l.e.d's on the network card should be lit up).

It will be much easier though to walk you through it when you have everything and are ready to go. Personally I would go ahead and get a router, wireless and its + and -'s you'll have to figure out on your own. I mean, the biggest problem I see with wireless is security and I'am thinking if security is a problem then you live to close to your neighbors. But post back when you get all your hardware together...I dont think you'll have any problems setting it up.

thanks,crow!

i dont think security will be an issue with wireless system.

i mean wireless tech isnt that popular here.

i got XP on both.i dont have the CD with the laptop since someone only gave me this laptop and a CD wasnt included.

anyway,i'll try and assess my budget and see what i will come up with.

but most probably i will opt for the LAN.

thanks again!

Well like I said you dont have to use a router unless you just really want to. Now 3 or more comp's then yes get one, but with what you have a crossover cable will do just fine. You will need a small female-female addaptor, sending and receiving cable (crossover cable and your regular CAT5) ..plug them in and your ready to go. Run the network wizzard on your desktop (as I am sure that will be your primary connection to the net) and it should do all the rest for you. Theres a couple things you might want to jot down how ever. The "workgroup" name has to be the same. Windows 2k default workgroup is named WORKGROUP and XP's default is MSHOME...you also need to make sure that in services Internet connection/firewall is started and running...but like I said, you shouldnt have to worry about any of that just a few simple things to check if the first time dont work.