I recently took the plunge to update my computer. I already had an AMD 1300+ Duron, Maxtor 40GB hard drive, Lite-On CD-RW drive, and power supply, case, etc. I bought a Gigabyte 2004RZ motherboard (7VT600P-RZ, VIA KT600, FSB 400) Gigabyte GeForce FX5200, and PQI 512MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM.

This being my first computer build/rebuild, I was surprised when I turned it on, and it worked... to a point. It goes through the CMOS screens okay, and it even starts running Windows. But it stops as soon as the opening screen becomes visible, I get a blue screen with what looks like a memory address, then it immediately restarts before I can read it.

My big fear is that while upgrading my motherboard, I now will need to upgrade my processor as well. The GB MB says it only takes AMD AthlonXP and Sempron 1400+ and up. I didn't notice this when I bought it from NewEgg. If it is true, then a new processor isn't that hard for me to get. I am only posting here to get advice from someone who has built a few on what to do next before I continue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by paxman356

Are you running Windows 2000 or XP? If so, then you will need to reinstall Windows. NT-based versions of Windows cannot handle sudden hardware changes such as a motherboard replacement. In these situations, they will die at bootup with a BSOD that usually says "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". The only way to fix it is to reinstall Windows.

Oh, and before anyone else brings it up: yes, it MIGHT be possible to get it running again using the emergency repair option (Available when booting from the Windows CD), but there are no guarantees that it will work, and even if it does it might not be very reliable. I tried emergency repair once after upgrading a motherboard, but it didn't work for me at all (It still died at bootup with a BSOD). Even if it does work for you, there might still be a handful of drivers left over for the old motherboard that could occasionally cause problems. So, the best option is to do a complete reinstall.

Also, keep this in mind: if you are running XP, you might need to go through that product activation drudgery again after reinstalling/repairing it.

I could not find the specs for that board, but I got the impression it does not support lower FSB speeds. accoding to this remark

The GB MB says it only takes AMD AthlonXP and Sempron 1400+ and up

so it looks like you will get stuck buying a better cpu. Since you have a board that supports it, that is a nice fairly cheap upgrade.

usaully if it supports an athlon xp it usually supports a Duron. windows has trouble when you change mobo's or if you move the hard drive to a new system. windows says "HEY, this ain't my home." you'll have to reinstall windows.

It's cool how FC4 doesn't care when moving from system to system. i moved the hard drive from one pc to another and FC4 didn't care. it just ran like normal.

I do have the MB set to run at 200mhz FSB, there is a jumper there for that. The mobo even detects it as a 1300 Duron, which I found reasuring the first time I turned it on.

I was just curious if dying the way it does (a quick BSOD flash then reboot) is a Windows thing, or a MB/FSB thing. I have another hard drive I can re-load on, so I will try that tomorrow. Your input is appreciated.

I do have the MB set to run at 200mhz FSB, there is a jumper there for that.  The mobo even detects it as a 1300 Duron, which I found reasuring the first time I turned it on. 

I was just curious if dying the way it does (a quick BSOD flash then reboot) is a Windows thing, or a MB/FSB thing.  I have another hard drive I can re-load on, so I will try that tomorrow.  Your input is appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No need to flash bios as of yet it is not your troubles.

You can change the the FSB in the bios to get it to recognize your CPU size.

First I think the problem is with your OS recognizing your new hardware. you will need to call Microsoft and tell them you did an upgrade and reinstall XP.

Thats if you have XP

I do have the MB set to run at 200mhz FSB, there is a jumper there for that.  The mobo even detects it as a 1300 Duron, which I found reasuring the first time I turned it on. 

I was just curious if dying the way it does (a quick BSOD flash then reboot) is a Windows thing, or a MB/FSB thing.  I have another hard drive I can re-load on, so I will try that tomorrow.  Your input is appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when you say you set it to 200mhz on the board, that might mean you set it to 400mhz. athlon use double data rate. most of the time setting it to 200mhz on the board, is like setting the FSB to 400mhz(double data rate). By any chance are the settings on you board giving in increments like 166mhz and 200mhz, that would mean your borad supports 333 mhz and 400 mhz.

Edited by shanenin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when you say you set it to 200mhz on the board, that might mean you set it to 400mhz. athlon use double data rate. most of the time setting it to 200mhz on the board, is like setting the FSB to 400mhz(double data rate). By any chance are the settings on you board giving in increments like 166mhz and 200mhz, that would mean your borad supports 333 mhz and 400 mhz.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a 100MHz setting. Sorry I misquoted it. I will be reinstalling Windows on another hard drive tonight, so we will see how that goes.

Edited by paxman356

Just an update. It did wind up being the hard drive. I have installed Windows fresh in a 16GB hard drive, with the old 40GB as a slave. Now the hard drive juggling begins, as I will be switching from 40GB/80GB in my work computer to just an 80 in my old (but faster) home computer, and dual 40s in the upgraded computer.

Thank you all for the help.