Newb Wnating To Try It

i was reding through this forum and seen a mention of Ubuntu, and a link to a test. when i tried to find the distro, i was unable to. i took the test,and it offered some different distros. can any one help. was thinking on trying it on an older comp with a 700 mhz processro, but also might try it on a newer comp. thanks

never tried that, knoppix is good, or Iccaros or some of the other live linux distros. You can run them from a cd to try them out to see which you like best and which ones find your hardware easily. If you need links or to know how to burn an iso to disk just post back here

never tried that, knoppix is good, or Iccaros or some of the other live linux distros. You can run them from a cd to try them out to see which you like best and which ones find your hardware easily. If you need links or to know how to burn an iso to disk just post back here

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks i am downloading both will giv them a sipn a little later. :thumbsup:

I have SuSe running on a k6 500mh AMD with 10 g hard drive, could have put it on smaller, without problems

Here is a link for ubuntu.

Have fun with it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks a lot also found mepis is this one good for a newb?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried SimplyMepis awhile back, thought it was a pretty good/user-friendly distro, debian/KDE based...If I'm not mistaken, you can use the live cd as a graphic installer for a hard drive install.

The only problem I had with it was something about my sound hardware and no one ever getting it to work with MEPIS....Might try it again down the road to see if they fix that or try it on different hardware...thought it had potential.

Edited by tictoc5150
On a Plll 700 just about anything will run fine.  For a first install I'd go with Ubuntu.  Just out of curiosity how much RAM does the unit have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it has 288mb ram, and a p2 processor not sure yet of the mhz on the processor, it is a gateway built in about 1999. sorry for not haveing anymore detail yet. just now got it up and running. it has a 10 gb hdd, had win 98 on it, currently doing a clean install of win 98se just to see if it is fully functional. will get back to you later hopefuly with more detail. im back it is a celearon 400mhz processor, how big of a partition should i need for Ubuntu on my hdd. i plan to make it dual boot win98, and Ubuntu. thanks

Edited by pigmelt
On a Plll 700 just about anything will run fine.  For a first install I'd go with Ubuntu.  Just out of curiosity how much RAM does the unit have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it has 288mb ram, and a p2 processor not sure yet of the mhz on the processor, it is a gateway built in about 1999. sorry for not haveing anymore detail yet. just now got it up and running. it has a 10 gb hdd, had win 98 on it, currently doing a clean install of win 98se just to see if it is fully functional. will get back to you later hopefuly with more detail. im back it is a celearon 400mhz processor, how big of a partition should i need for Ubuntu on my hdd. i plan to make it dual boot win98, and Ubuntu. thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A 400 MHz processor with 288 MB RAM will run Ubuntu just fine.

I checked my Ubuntu box and I've got a little over 1.8 GB installed. A stock install of Ubuntu is less than 1.8 GB. I think 4-5 GB should be fine for Ubuntu, that'll give you enough space for a swap partition and room to grow. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I checked my Ubuntu box and I've got a little over 1.8 GB installed. A stock install of Ubuntu is less than 1.8 GB. I think 4-5 GB should be fine for Ubuntu, that'll give you enough space for a swap partition and room to grow. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks i just got win98 up and running everything seems to be working fine this weekend i'll try to install ubuntu on. you mentioned a swap partition would that be considered a third partition? thanks Edited by pigmelt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks i just got win98 up and running everything seems to be working fine this weekend i'll try to install ubuntu on. you mentioned a swap partition would that be considered a third partition? thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

got the old pc is up and going with Ubuntu. did not have to do a lot to be able to post this it took off right out of the get go. by the way i am usting the old 400 mhz to do this posting. thanks a lot for all the help. now to finnish off with the 88 updates. yea! :thumbsup: again thanks

Edited by pigmelt
got the old pc is up and going with Ubuntu. did not have to do a lot to be able to post this it took off right out of the get go. by the way i am usting the old 400 mhz to do this posting. thanks a lot for all the help. now to finnish off with the 88 updates. yea! :thumbsup: again thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are very welcome! :D

Congratulations and welcome to Linux! :thumbsup: Have fun. :D