my step son gave me his old gatewaycomp, and os but lost the cd key. is there any way to retirve this key form the cd itself? it is an older machine about 6 yrs. only a 700 mhz processor.

Edited by pigmelt
have you checked the case. usually there is a COA(sticker), that has the key on it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there are no stickers on the case or in the case, they were stuck on the inside of the os manual, i think he lost the manual. thanks

From Troubleshooting "Invalid Product Key" support page:

"If you are unable to locate your product key, or your product key label is damaged, contact Microsoft Product Support Services. For more information, please see the following Microsoft Web site: "

The page apparently had a phone number to call but unfortunately as they no longer support 98SE the link is invalid. Looks like they took down many 98SE pages as I tried others with no success (though it's possible there is a problem with their servers).

If they won't support their own product I would not hesitate to use the Internet to find a "work-around" of any type (yeah, that includes not-entirely-Kosher ones).

my step son gave me his old gatewaycomp, and os but lost the cd key. is there any way to retirve this key form the cd itself?  it is an older machine about 6 yrs. only a 700 mhz processor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it still has the OS on it try this http://www.angelfire.com/va3/vic3/winkeys.htm

IF the machine is running, do this: (and I know the registry is a scary place, don't worry, you're only looking at the registry, not touching anything!)

Start > run > type regedit

This will open the registry editor. From there, navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Click on the CurrentVersion folder, and on the right pane there will be a key that says ProductKey. There will be a 25 digit key (both numbers and letters), copy it down.

I used this to make sure we had the right key before reinstalling windows, and it worked!

If you still can't find it, then:

Edit > Find

Type ProductKey in the find box and click Find Next.

Thanks to Macmarauder, he found this info! :thumbsup:

And if you have the Windows Manual, the key is on the front of it.

Liz

IF the machine is running, do this: (and I know the registry is a scary place,  don't worry, you're only looking at the registry, not touching anything!)

This will open the registry editor.  From there, navigate to:

Click on the CurrentVersion folder, and on the right pane there will be a key that says ProductKey.  There will be a 25 digit key (both numbers and letters), copy it down.

I used this to make sure we had the right key before reinstalling windows, and it worked!

Edit > Find

Thanks to Macmarauder, he found this info!  :thumbsup:

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks but the other problem is i cant get the machine to boot up yet. havent had time to work on it.

hmmm my cow box never needed a CD key with the OS it came with (ME). but now i use 98se. mine also had the serial number of windows aka the Key, on the side, but i never needed it

Edited by Honda_Boy
my step son gave me his old gatewaycomp, and os but lost the cd key. is there any way to retirve this key form the cd itself?  it is an older machine about 6 yrs. only a 700 mhz processor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can try a repair install of 98SE and see if that helps. Here are instructions.

Windows 98, 98SE, and Me Repair Installation

Boot from CD

Select Start PC with CD ROM Support

Change to Optical Drive A:\>D: [Enter] where D: is optical drive

Change to Win98 directory (win9x for ME) D:\>CD\WIN98 [Enter]

Run Setup D:\WIN98>setup [Enter]

Windows setup will perform a repair install.

Settings, files, programs, drivers, etc. will be retained. May need to reinstall Win 98/Me updates.

Note: Do not allow Windows to automatically install, it won't work.

I dont think it will ask for the Pin. no.. If you can get it to boot after that then you can find the key

Edited by Machinewar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can try a repair install of 98SE and see if that helps. Here are instructions.

Windows 98, 98SE, and Me Repair Installation

Boot from CD

Select Start PC with CD ROM Support

Change to Optical Drive A:\>D: [Enter] where D: is optical drive

Change to Win98 directory (win9x for ME) D:\>CD\WIN98 [Enter]

Run Setup D:\WIN98>setup [Enter]

Windows setup will perform a repair install.

Settings, files, programs, drivers, etc. will be retained. May need to reinstall Win 98/Me updates.

Note: Do not allow Windows to automatically install, it won't work.

I dont think it will ask for the Pin. no.. If you can get it to boot after that then you can find the key

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks everyon the system is ok now.

did you find a key, or did you use a method to retreive it, just curious?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"found" a key. thanks again. got he olld pc running long enough to get the key from the reg.

Edited by pigmelt
  • 2 weeks later...

Small freeware program can find Windows Product Key instantly.

The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder is a freeware utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping. It works on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Office 97, and Office XP.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

IF the machine is running, do this: (and I know the registry is a scary place,  don't worry, you're only looking at the registry, not touching anything!)

This will open the registry editor.  From there, navigate to:

Click on the CurrentVersion folder, and on the right pane there will be a key that says ProductKey.  There will be a 25 digit key (both numbers and letters), copy it down.

Edit > Find

Thanks to Macmarauder, he found this info!  :thumbsup:

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol! Blim giving registry advice. Time to give up the newbie title. I'm curious, does Everest work on older os's? I don't have any older systems to try it out on. (TT_75?)