I Miss Ttv Board's Style Reply Button

I know nothing about setting up boards like this, so I have no idea what the degree of difficulty is in doing this.

I miss having a Reply button in each post that gave you a brief header like:

Replying to BestTechie's post Aug 25, 2004 4:14 PM

It made it easier to follow multiple trains of thought in a thread.

While the Quote function does this, too often the entire post is quoted, not just the phrase of interest.

After several levels of nested quotes, a simple "Me Too" is a screen or more long.

That said, I do like the "Edit the Quote" way you've got this set up.

It's a BIG improvement over most of the boards around.

Maybe I just need to play around with this board some more to get used to it.

You can edit out parts of a post on the G4TTV board too, but it is definitely more intensive and requires more work than doing it on this style of board. I enjoy editing posts and posting in general on Invision PB boards much more than the one over at G4TTV.

What I'd really like to see the quote button do is have me highlight the text I want included, then when I click the Quote button it would copy the text out, add a header about the poster I'm referring to, and paste that text between the Q /Q braces.

If no selection was made, it could default to the whole post, (although I'd just have it do a Replying To header with no quoted text).

Just a wish...

I'd rather have the quotes go straight to the reply box instead of having a separate one. The only problem with this is that some people have trouble editing the quotes.

As for the "Replying to..." you could try just using hte fast reply box. You have to push the button for it to show. There's an option in the My Controls to have it always open if you so desire.

Is it even possible to do what CurlingSteve was talking about with highlighting the text and then quoting it?

One thing I would like to see is a separate button that quotes to the fast reply box instead.

That's just me...

I use Fast Reply in forums more often than the alternatives.

I just wish it would do the "Replying to Snaxe Posted on Aug 26 2004, 09:30 PM" part for me (I'm lazy).

It lets folks know who I'm "talking" to when several posts are made while I'm typing.

A Reply button next to the Quote is what I'm proposing.

It's the same code as Quote, just without copying the body of the post.

Kinda like your "Fast Quote" idea too.

CurlingSteve Posted: Aug 26 2004, 08:44 PM 

I miss that reply style also. You could follow the different people in the thread.

I copied the header from your message the dropped it in a quote tag. Maybe if we get in ahabit of something like that it will start to be standard operatinf procedure.??

M

CurlingSteve Posted: Aug 26 2004, 08:44 PM 

I miss that reply style also. You could follow the different people in the thread.

I copied the header from your message the dropped it in a quote tag. Maybe if we get in ahabit of something like that it will start to be standard operatinf procedure.??

M

When you quote someone, it will state right above the quote who it was who said the quote and when...there's nothing in the header information that you're pasting in that isn't already supplied...just making sure you knew that. I think the quoting system on this board is pretty decent, actually.