Proper Way To Run Fortune

what is the proper way to run fortune. I currently have the fortune command at the bottom of my .bashrc file. It seems to work well, but I read this warning in my .bashrc

# /etc/skel/.bashrc:
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/skel/.bashrc,v 1.8 2003/02/28  15:45:35 azarah Exp $

# This file is sourced by all *interactive* bash shells on startup.  This
# file *should generate no output* or it will break the scp and rcp commands.

so i am guessing since fortune produces output, this could cause problems. I know slackware uses forture, I wonder what method that distro uses.

I am not sure where to put it one my gentoo system. If I use /etc/profile, it does not seemed to get sourced the first time I open a shell, when I first open an xterm fortune does not run. But if I change to user of root using '-' , like su - shane, then fortune runs. I hardly use scp, so maybe I will just leave it in my .bashrc

RTFM :)

oxymoron above :-)

cool, I never used the info command before. I fond this

6.3.2 Is this Shell Interactive?
--------------------------------

To determine within a startup script whether or not Bash is running
interactively, test the value of the `-' special parameter.  It
contains `i' when the shell is interactive.  For example:

case "$-" in
    *i*)       echo This shell is interactive;;
    *) echo This shell is not interactive;;
    esac

it just is

The parameter - contains the option flags that are set in the shell. 'i' corresponds to the option '-i', which starts an interactive shell. A partial list of flags can be found in the documentation for the 'set' builtin in the bash manpage. ('himBH' = history enabled, interactive, monitor mode (nicer interactive job control), brace expansion, '!' history substitution.)

I can't believe you had never used info :) It's the primary documentation for the GNU project; the half-assed manpages are secondary (at best) to the texinfo docs. It's one of the GNU project's more irritating quirks.

Edited by jcl