Katrina "victims" In Texas

This is exactly what I expected.....

Thought I might inform the few friends I have on my recent traumatic experience.  I am going to tell it straight, blunt, raw, and I don't give a dang.  Long read, I know but please do read!!!

I went to volunteer on Saturday at the George R.  Brown convention for two reasons.

A: I wanted to help people to get a warm fuzzy.

B: Curiosity.

I've been watching the news lately and have seen scenes that have made me want to vomit.  And no it wasn't dead bodies, the city under water, or the sludge everywhere.  It was PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOR.  The people on T.V., (99% being Black) were DEMANDING help.  They were not asking nicely but demanding as if society owed these people something.  Well the honest truth is WE DON'T.  Help should be asked for in a kind manner and then appreciated.  This is not what the press (FOX in particular) was showing, what I was seeing was a group of people who are yelling, demanding, looting, killing, raping, and SHOOTING back at the demanded help!!!!!  So I'm thinking this can't possibly be true can it????  So I decide to submit to the DEMAND for help out of SHOCK.  I couldn't believe this to be true of the majority of the people who are the weakest of society.  So I went to volunteer and help folks out and see the truth.  So I will tell the following story and you decide:

I arrived at the astrodome only to find out that there were too many volunteers and that volunteers were needed at the George R.  Brown Convention Center.  As I was walking up to the Convention Center I noticed a line of cars that wrapped around blocks filled with donations.  These were ordinary Houstonians coming with truckloads and trunks full of water, diapers, clothes, blankets, food, all types of good stuff.  And lots of it was NEW.  I felt that warm fuzzy while helping unload these vehicles of these wonderful human beings.  I then went inside the building and noticed approximately 100,000 sq.  ft.  of clothes, shoes, jackets, toys and all types of goodies all organized and ready for the people in need.  I signed up, received a name badge and was on my merry way excited to be useful.

I toured the place to get familiar with my surroundings; the entire place is probably around 2 million sq.  ft.  I noticed rows as far as the eye can see of mattresses, not cots, BLOW UP MATTRESSES!!!  All of which had nice pillows and plenty of blankets.  2 to 3 bottles of water lay on every bed.  These full size to queen size beds by the way were comfortable, I laid in one to see for myself.  I went to look at the medical area.  I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing!!!  A makeshift hospital created in 24 hours!!!  It was unbelievable, they even had a pharmacy.  I also noticed that they created showers, which would also have hot water.  I went upstairs to the third floor to find a HUGE cafeteria created in under 24 hours!  Rows of tables, chairs and food everywhere - enough to feed an army!  I'm not talking about crap food either.  They had Jason's deli food, apples, oranges, coke, diet coke, lemonade, orange juice, cookies, all types of chips and sandwiches.  All the beverages by the way were put on ice and chilled!!!!  In a matter of about 24 hours or less an entire mini-city was erected by volunteers for the poor evacuees.  This was not your rundown crap shelter, it was BUM HEAVEN.

So that was the layout: great food, comfy beds, clean showers, free medical help, by the way there was a library, and a theatre room that I forgot to mention.  Great stuff right????

Well here is what happened on my journey - I started by handing out COLD water bottles to evacuees as they got off the bus.  Many would take them and only 20% or less said thank you.  Lots of them would shake their heads and ask for sodas!  So this went on for about

20-30 minutes until I was sick of being an unappreciated servant.  I figured certainly these folks would appreciate some food!!!  So I went upstairs to serve these beloved evacuees some GOOD food that I wish I could have at the moment!

***The following statements are graphic, truthful, and discuss UNRATIONAL behavior***

Evacuees come slowly to receive this mountain of food that is worth serving to a king!  I tell them that we have 2 types of great deli sandwiches to choose from - ham and turkey.  Many look at the food in disgust and DEMAND burgers, pizza, and even McDonalds!!!!  Jason's deli is better than McDonalds!!!!  Only 1 out of ten people who took something would say "thank you" the rest took items as if it was their God give right to be served without a shred of appreciation!!!  They would ask for Beer and liquor.  They complained that we didn't have good enough food.  They refused food and laughed at us.  They treated us volunteers as if we where SLAVES.  No not all of them of course, but

70% did!!!!!!  20% were appreciative, 10% took the food without any comment and the other 70% had some disgusting comment to say.  Some had the nerve to laugh at us.  And when I snapped back at them for being mean, they would curse at me!!!  Needless to say I was in utter shock.  They would eat their food and leave their mess on the table.  Some would pick up their stuff, many would leave it for the volunteers to pick up.  I left that real quick to go down and help set up some more beds.  I saw many young ladies carrying mattresses and I helped for a while.  Then I realized something.  There were hundreds of able bodied young men who could help!!  I asked a group of young evacuees in their teens and early twenties to help.  I got cursed at for asking them to help!!!  One said "We just lost our Fricking homes and you want us to work!!" The next said "Ya Cracker, you got a home we don't" I looked at them in disbelief.

Here are women walking by carrying THEIR BEDS and they can't lift a finger and help themselves!!

WHY SHOULD I HELP PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO HELP THEMESELVES!!!!

I waved them off and turned away and was laughed at and more "white boy jokes" were made at me.  I felt no need to waste my breath on a bunch of pitiful losers.  I went to a nearby restroom where I noticed a man shaving.  I used the restroom, washed my hands and saw this man throw his razor towards the trash can...he missed.  he walked out leaving his disgusting razor on the floor for some other "cracker" to pick up.  Even the little kids were demanding.  I saw only ONE white family and only TWO Hispanic families.  The rest where blacks.  Sorry 20% to 30% decent blacks, and 70% LOSERS!!!!!

I would call them N*****S, but the actual definition of a n*****r is one who is ignorant, these people were not ignorant..they were ARROGANT ASSHOLES.  The majority of which are thugs and lifetime lazy ass welfare recipients.

We are inviting the lowest of the low to Houston.  And like idiots we are serving the people who will soon steal our cars, rape, murder, and destroy our city while stealing from our pockets on a daily basis through the welfare checks they take.  We will fund our own destruction.

By "US" I don't mean a specific race, I mean the people who work hard, work smart, have values and morals.  Only people who want to help themselves should be helped, the others should be allowed to destroy themselves.  I do not want to work hard, give the government close to half the money I earn so they can in turn give it to a bunch of losers.

I don't believe in being poor for life.  My family immigrated here, we came here poor, and now thank God, and due to HARD WORK we are doing fine.  If immigrants, who come here, don't know the language can work and become successful...  WHY CAN'T THE MAJORITY OF THE HOMEGROWN DO IT!!!  If we continue to reward these losers then we will soon destroy our great country.  I just witnessed selfish, arrogant, unappreciative behavior by the very people who need help the most.  Now these same people who cursed me, refused my cities generosity, who refuse to help themselves are DEMANDING handouts on their own terms!!!!!!!  They prance around as if they are owed something, and when they do receive a handout, they say it's not good enough!  Well you know what..these types of people can go to hell for all I care!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Richard L.  Johnston, M.D.

Hmmmm! A doctor on the staff at the University of Mississippi Medical Center volunteering in Texas when medical treatment is needed in Mississippi?

Topic: Letter from a volunteer?

Nope a racist 24 year old single male MySpace blogger by the name Maher.

SO I VOLUNTEERED..........

We'll toss in a reply from the real Dr. Johnston to an email.

Originally posted by Sara at home:

Heard back from Dr. Johnston. Seems he copied the rant off a website and sent it to friends. In the process, his name inadvertantly got attached as though he had written it. He says "It was a colossal lapse in judgement on my part and I would do absolutely anything to remove my association from this."

I think I smell something funny. Mostly shit.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

I have heard other stories of this type from volunteer Firefighters from my area that went down there to help. Not quite as dramatic, but on the same level. If what they said and the author of the letter says is even a half truth. (And I have known some of those that were sent down for many years) Then it is a sad affair.

I'm not speaking out of first hand eye witness account, but as one who has heard this from some who were there. And I am sorry, but I do believe those whom I have known.

But I also understand that those spoken off are just a small handful, of all those affected by this terrible disaster.

Sad,sad, sad....Well, no matter who wrote the original article, unfortunately it rings of familarity....My In-Laws are a lot like the folks written about. There are a few members that the only time we hear from them is when "they are in some sort of financial trouble and need bailing out" (and Thanksgiving Dinner at our house!)....Hubby and I have bailed them out and a Sister and Brother in Law have bailed them out....Guess what??? Not only have we never received a "thank you", but have even gotten complaints when our gifts were not up to their expectations (like when Mother in Law had the balls to gripe when she blew the engine on a 5 year old car we GAVE her...in 2 years she never changed the oil!). The tragic thing is that Sister and Brother-In-Law, Hubby and I decided to never bail them out again. A simple "thanks" would have changed our whole attitude.

There are some folks in this world who are "perpetual victims" and just plain selfish.

Let's hope it is just a "state of shock" for these folk's behavior.....

Liz

I friggin knew it!

The numbers are all off, I work with the poor. I see 90% gratitude 10% arogance. Out of that 10% I would say half is a defense mechanisim because asking for help wounds their pride. That last 5% is scum, generally sociopathic and self absorbed. I actually had one of these in my family, so I know the type.

Glad you cleared that up TT75

BH

"How much can you really know about yourself if you have never been a fight?" (Brad Pitt---FightClub...BH's Avatar)

You never know the good in yourself until you do something bad...

These individuals are going to have their turn...they always do..."what goes around comes around," but no matter what happens, where it happens, how it happens, Be yourself...I know all of us here at this forum share the "family" conscience, knowingly involving ourselves, sometimes, in these losing situations, but it makes us feel satisfied knowing we did something that most won't...even without the "thanks."

What's there to say?

Are some people unappeciative? Of course. Is that something you just found out?

Are they the majority? Of course not.

Only racist morons, like the one who wrote this would try to imply that.

(would help if he could do simple math)

The problem is that other "not so brights ones" use this kind of garbage to fuel their own ignorant beliefs.

To the "doctor" that supposedly wrote this hatred:

In the future, when you get the need to help out the "rapists, murderers, and welfare cheats" that just escaped from the worst hurricane in modern history, please don't.

Instead, please use the time to take some remedial adult education courses in math and English.

That way, the next time you decide to post something as rediculous as this, you will at least be able to make a little more sense.

And armed with your new found knowledge, you will make a better impression at the next clan rally that you attend.

It does bring up a good point, however. Why are volunteers needed at ALL?

In the future, when you get the need to help out the "rapists, murderers, and welfare cheats" that just escaped from the worst hurricane in modern history, please don't.

So, just because they lost everything and had to go through the worst hurricane of modern times they should be given everything and baby fed? TO be able to stay at a shelter, you should have to pull your own weight! (if your able)

Oh, but the poor things are mentally stressed right? Awwee....

Oh, now they get what, $2k? I heard news casters and evacs. complaining that wasnt enough. $2k!!! Hmm, they dont pay room and board, no bills, no gas. WHAT do they need all this money for?

1) THey can find a job where they are at and use the money to set up utilities

2) THey can use the money to get back home.

Either way that's plenty of money!

Jeesh, has nobody heard of a personal rainy day savings?

(That's my rant and im stickin to it )

Edited by Bubba Bob

Obviously some people haven't really read the piece by Maher. I for one do not believe the majority of his biased blog. Many of the storm victims were not welfare recipients. They were hard working individuals and business owners. Their jobs or businesses were destroyed. Damn insurance companies are slow to respond or are refusing to pay the full loss. You cannot just place thousands of displaced people into new jobs that are not there. The $2000 debit deal to help these people was retracted. Has anyone seen a similar complaint against the actions of these victims at the relocation sites? Has anyone seen any "air mattresses" and other such "nice" conditions at these sites? I haven't. I have seen the folding cots about which Barbara Bush made the statement "And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them." To believe Maher's written filth is to walk through life blindly obedient to prejudice.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_s...volunteered.htm

Comments:  Among the many good reasons to doubt the veracity of this hateful, racist diatribe is the fact that other folks who volunteered to help Hurricane Katrina evacuees at Reliant Astrodome and the George R. Brown Convention Center have shared their experiences, too — and virtually all of them say the exact opposite. For example:

"We ended up spending the day at the George R Brown Convention Center, setting up the shelter there and helping with the evacuees," wrote one Houstonian in a letter to a friend. "I went to serve food, and I have to say that everyone I met was so gracious and nice, and just thankful for everything that was being done for them. No one really was talking much, for the most part I imagine everyone is just exhausted at this point. But every single person made a point of saying "thank you for helping us." More...

A doctor describes tending to patients in the Astrodome: "They hadn't had their medications for days, along with no food and water. But they were so thankful for the treatment they were getting and were so patient about having to wait so long. They were just so grateful to be in Houston. I had to hold back tears so many times at how horribly these people had been ravaged by this storm and what it had done to their lives." More...

From another volunteer at the Astrodome: "I took in everything for a few moments and then figured I was there to help, and the best way I could do that would be to connect with individual people somehow. So over and over I picked up flats of 24 water bottles and walked around and handed them out; many people were overjoyed by that one small thing.

"It was an amazing cross section of humanity... young, old, big, little, etc. Nearly all were black, and practically everyone appeared like they'd been through a war zone. Most seemed content with their lot at the moment; I saw no arguing or frustration... I think they were just glad to be inside and settled for a bit." More...

Joan Samuelson, another Houston volunteer, writes: "Though sad and horrifying, the experience was also magnificent: this country, and this city, at their best; people who wanted to help; people who had lost everything but were smiling, crying, and hugging us.... The survivors also come from all walks of life and professions with skills to offer their adoptive homes. They are wonderful people: when you volunteer with them, you find out lots of details about who they really are that are not in the TV images." More...

From a volunteer in Reliant Center: "We greeted hundreds of people with a smile and a simple "good morning". The response was moving for me. The vast majority of these people are extremely poor. These faces are very tired. These hearts are broken, and these passing souls are lost thanks to a storm that showed no mercy. And despite what you've falsely been shown by our media, the majority of these displaced former residents of New Orleans are passing me with a polite smile to answer my kindness." More...

You get the picture. In all of the personal accounts I could find, volunteers described evacuees as hungry, tired, distraught, and disoriented, but never "unappreciative," "arrogant," or "selfish."

Indeed, the alleged observations of our anonymous emailer are so much at odds with what other Houstonians have reported that I'm inclined to conclude that most, if not all, of the story was fabricated; worse, it appears to have been fabricated for the express purpose of fostering resentment toward the mostly-black hurricane evacuees and arousing racial tensions in a situation which, for everyone involved, is already about as difficult and heartbreaking as it can be.  For shame.

Update:  Based on message board discussions of the text around the Web, it appears it was originally published on a MySpace blog authored by a Houston resident named Maher. I emailed him to verify this and give him an opportunity to respond.

Update #2:  Maher responded to my email and acknowledged writing the piece on his blog on September 4, 2005. Though he can't account for why his observations differ so much from everyone else's, he stands by their accuracy and denies being a racist, adding that as an immigrant from the Middle East he has been a victim of racism himself. He claims, rather, that the real target of his criticism is people with a "Welfare mentality" who expect the government to take care of them, a description he seems to believe fits the majority of New Orleans evacuees.

Update #3:  A variant has surfaced which appears to have been "signed" by a Richard L. Johnston, M.D. of Jackson, Mississippi. Dr. Johnston is a real person, but he did not write this text; like thousands of other people, he simply forwarded it to friends and family. Unhappily for him, however, his email program automatically appended his name and address to the message, and copies with that signature have been forwarded, forwarded, and forwarded again, to the point where many people now assume he was the author. He was not.

Even more debunking this bullshit.

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/personal/volunteer.asp

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
he $2000 debit deal to help these people was retracted.

Are you sure? Last I heard they were giving it to them by way of mailing out checks or bank wires. (Which makes alot of sence. They dont have a bank or address to recieve mail/money)

Has anyone seen any "air mattresses" and other such "nice" conditions at these sites?

Just to be an ***hole. Yes, ive seen these "nice" conditions at local churches. Used mattreses that have been donated, clean sheets, hot meals. Not bad at all. However, Im sure all shelters arent like that.

FEMA said it would rather use a direct deposit in a bank account than issue debit cards. The only thing is the people need to apply first and get a bank account. Now with all of the sandbagging that FEMA and insurance companies are doing how long will it take for any approvals. :huh:

good grief bozodog..don't you know BS when you see it...how sad for you... <_<

"indeed, the alleged observations of our anonymous emailer are so much at odds with what other Houstonians have reported that I'm inclined to conclude that most, if not all, of the story was fabricated; worse, it appears to have been fabricated for the express purpose of fostering resentment toward the mostly-black hurricane evacuees and arousing racial tensions in a situation which, for everyone involved, is already about as difficult and heartbreaking as it can be. For shame."

sigh....... :wacko:

Edited by screi

i've been reading this thread and waiting for a joke to pop into my head but not yet. i know that some of it is probably true but just how much of what parts is the question. i don't think that most of the conditions are luxurious at considering that all of them would rather be home the way it was before. i'm sure that there were some that rude and just causing trouble but not most. one of the bad parts about the media in my country is that you can never be fully sure about what you see and hear about. so i just don't know what to say.

my father used to always say consider the source and if this person can't even stand up then i can't put much belief in this letter to begin with.

Obviously some people haven't really read the piece by Maher. I for one do not believe the majority of his biased blog. Many of the storm victims were not welfare recipients. They were hard working individuals and business owners. Their jobs or businesses were destroyed. Damn insurance companies are slow to respond or are refusing to pay the full loss.

The insurance companies to not provide flood coverage, usually. I'm not excusing their behavior, but they aren't liable for damages caused by flooding (almost all the damage).

i've been reading this thread and waiting for a joke to pop into my head but not yet. i know that some of it is probably true but just how much of what parts is the question. i don't think that most of the conditions are luxurious at considering that all of them would rather be home the way it was before.

This, I doubt. We're talking about the people who couldn't afford (or were too stupid) to get out. A large portion of these probably ARE welfare recipiants, and undoubtedly some were homeless before the storm hit.

Edited by TheLetterK
FEMA said it would rather use a direct deposit in a bank account than issue debit cards. The only thing is the people need to apply first and get a bank account. Now with all of the sandbagging that FEMA and insurance companies are doing how long will it take for any approvals. :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't buy flood insurance, why should the insurance companies cover flood damage?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't buy flood insurance, why should the insurance companies cover flood damage?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of the people did have flood insurance but stated that the insurance companies are trying to lowball the damage.

And now I see that thanks to Rita, The levee broke again. So now their getting hit by a double dose. And I know for a fact that the insurance companies never tell anyone about the different types of flood insurance.

I just hope our government will step in and do something about the insurance companies. They have, for to long set the rules and changed them to meet their needs. If you don't believe me. Just get into an accident with your car. Most companies will drop your coverage rather then pay. Or get the full cost and then some when the triple your rates.

Now insurance companies really need to be investigated. You can't even drive in most states unless you have insurance. They have us all by the B***s

So it doesn't surprise me that they will try to get out of paying anyone who they can put the screws to.

Now for my previous post....I again talked to a friend who seen the problems for himself and asked a few questions, and showed him the said letter. He said it was nothing like that down there.

BUT.... There were some, not many who would fit the bill. Yes there were those he called "gang bangers" who were probably the worst. (and maybe a couple that might or might not have been on welfare). But for the older people, they showed respect and gratitude. So I think I stand somewhat corrected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of the people did have flood insurance but stated that the insurance companies are trying to lowball the damage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did hear a "blurb" during the "lull" between Katrina and Rita coverage, about a homeowner whose insurance company would only pay for water/mold damage in the lower two feet of her house---only problem, the drywall needed to be replaced to the ceiling.

Liz

Liz

i've been reading this thread and waiting for a joke to pop into my head but not yet. i know that some of it is probably true but just how much of what parts is the question. i don't think that most of the conditions are luxurious at considering that all of them would rather be home the way it was before.

This, I doubt. We're talking about the people who couldn't afford (or were too stupid) to get out. A large portion of these probably ARE welfare recipiants, and undoubtedly some were homeless before the storm hit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing personal, but have you ever considered that such a stupid statement might need to be researched, even a little?

Maybe turn off Fox News for awhile and read a little?

Here's a place to start:

"The welfare recipients"