Linux On Laptop

Went to "linux for Laptop's" and it say's for the A20M "Generic" ? what does that mean ? I was thinking about Ubuntu but don't know which way to go.

Laptop, A20M, 700mhz, 9Gb HDD, presently Win. 2K.

Nothing serious just E-Mail, browsing, experimenting. Any suggestion's ? jimmy

Well couldn't wait for Ubunto 5.1 so went ahead with 5.04. It couldn't mount the CD-ROM and the Live CD wouldn't load.

Switched to a Toshiba Tecra 8100 and after 3 diff. CD-Rom's the install loaded and I'm now running Ubuntu 5.04. It's pretty neat really, although I've just begin exploring so far. Will try to get the wireless going tonight and get it online.

I messed up the partitioning and had to go ahead and use the whole HDD for the install, wanted to dualboot.

Talk to later. jimmy

Edited by jimmyd

You shouldn't have any problems with that laptop, that site says they tried several distros without any problem. Give Ubuntu a try, if you have any problems just ask. And the linux fo laptops page gives alot of specific info that should help IF a device is a problem.

You shouldn't have any problems with that laptop, that site says they tried several distros without any problem. Give Ubuntu a try, if you have any problems just ask.  And the linux fo laptops page gives alot of specific info that should help IF a device is a problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank's for a reply, I left my E-mail add. for the Oct. release. jimmy