I am not sure if this is a simple question or a very complex question. I am starting to get into so many different things with my computer, saved things are getting lost.

Downloaded music: One program goes to one folder, one goes to another

Created music: Goes to another

Videos: downloaded are saved one place

Created videos: Are saved somewhere else

Web page designs: Stuff is put all over the place because I have the actual program creations, then Flash elements, then the videos & pics are saved into places besides the folders above.

Sometimes things are saved in a download file while other times they are saved into my pics or my vids or my music.

My basic question is, is there a way to default everything to a certain location where I can have all of these files organized for my understanding? It is very tedious remembering what long path I have to go through to retrieve certain things especially when I am using them all for the same ultimate project.

Thanks in advance

It can be complicated. There are some 'default' Windows folders, a program like TweakUI has the option of reselecting them if they have been changed.

But ... the complicated part ... not all programs are designed to "work with" Windows in this regard. Some programmers think they know better than you where you want files stored, some haven't given it much thought and didn't design their program to look for a default folder, and some even change the Windows default to what THEY think it should be.

Each program may, or may not, allow you to select a default folder. That would be in a menu item like Options, Settings, Preferences, something like that. Others allow you to change the location only when you 'save' a file (pay attention to the Save dialog box for drop-down boxes or Browse buttons with which to make a folder selection).

SOME programs are smart enough that once you have made a folder selection all files created/downloaded after that will go to that folder. This can actually be the cause of a 'lost' default folder, if you changed this path once all subsequent files may go there instead of to the default folder.

here is what I would do. make a folder called "links to downloads"(or whatever). then go inside that folder and r-click, then choose, new, then shorcut. The shortcut wizard will let you make a shortcut(link) to each of your places you have downloads. After making a link to all of the spots, you will have easy access to them all from the same place.