Computer Upsetting Me.

I never went on my laptop throughout the summer because I did not want to get it all fragmented if I continued update ;therefore, I update right before school started.

I have a Celeron Toshiba 1135-S155 with winxpsp2 home,

Ever since I updated programs, security windows updates, spyware updates, and everything needed for my laptop to work fresh in school with every update.

For what ever my laptop began working very slow, I had Norton on my system when it was fast so I do not believe that is the cause. I do have NAV2005 Worm Protection enabled: Should I disable that? My computer is defragmented.

IT NEVER WENT THIS SLOW BEFORE

what I mean is;

it used to take me 1,2,3 seconds to boot in programs like msword, now it is like 15 seconds; what the heck happened :excl:

Microsoft Encarta takes forever like 25 seconds same with Lavasoft :angry2:

Any ideas to help my problem?????????

look in msconfig and see how many programs you have starting up at the same time. also look at the task manager and see how many processes you have running.

it sounds like you have alot of programs trying to run in the back ground.

the more you hvae the slower it will get.

you may be able to cure some of it by adding more ram.

Hi ms1033,

Are you running low on disk space? if so, it would be a good idea to run a disk cleanup first bfore you defrag, did you defrag in safe mode? If some program was running while the defragmenter worked its possible it got interrupted. Also if your drive tends to get fragmented fast ( i agree with you when u say the sheer number of updates and patches we download nowadays can contribute to this) it would be good to defrag more often, or you can set some automatic tool on the job. Insufficient memory can be another reason. If you boot is slow, you cud try deleting pretetch.

http://www.tweakxp.com/article36979.aspx

Also heres a useful link you cud check out

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm