Getting On The Internet With Cable.

I've tried with 2 different network cards. It saw both, created a new connection on both, i activated the connections, and when i open any browser (frickin OS came with 4 or 5) it says it can't find any of the sites. WHat do you have to do?

no router (probably will be soon) and i don't know what ifconfig is. I've opened the network settings if that's what you mean. I eventually found something within that that said IP address, gateway etc. but all the lines were blank but i had it set to retrieve my IP automatically when doin it. the weird thing is i try and do this in windows (system is a dual boot of 98se and FC4) it works just fine but i wanna update linux and download somethings directly to it. unfortunately neither OS can access the hard drive that the other is installed on. i wouldn't be able to update but i could at least get the files i wanted without goin through the trouble of usin the cd burner on the sidewinder constantly.

unfortunately neither OS can access the hard drive that the other is installed on.

It's not that FC4 can't access a FAT32 partition. If I'm not mistaken, all linux distros can read a FAT32 partition, I think it's because it doesn't know it should...For that you'd need to edit your /etc/fstab and add the partition or drive.

Often this would be done like:

su
******* (root password)
cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab_backup
kate /etc/fstab

and add:

/dev/hda1       /wherever/you/want/it/mounted  vfat    iocharset=utf8,umask=000   0       0

This would give read and write access to the drive, which I'm not entirely sure you want, given the potential to mess up your windows partition...read access should suffice.

Maybe someone else can say with certainty.

How to understand and edit fstab

Edited by tictoc5150

Ifconfig is the nix equivalent of ipconfig, run it as root and it'll show if your interface is recognized. Might be useful to write down the info from ipconfig /all in windows.

Edited by naraku9333

Wine shouldn't be a problem, you need to run it as root or specify the full path. I just want to know if your network card is recognized and if it is if you have an IP. When you run it see if you see eth0 on the left.

This could be as simple as just a DNS problem, you may need to input them manually. Test your network card, ping 127.0.0.1 if thats shows replies your card should be fine. Then ping 216.239.57.99 which is google, if that works but ping www.google.com doesn't its deffinately DNS.

Edited by naraku9333

if i go to the run box and try and run it i get nothing i even removed wine and nothing happened, but when i open up the terminal and try to run it i at least get to see my ip address. tell why ain't this file running corrextly when either gnome or KDE.

if i go to the run box and try and run it i get nothing i even removed wine and nothing happened, but when i open up the terminal and try to run it i at least get to see my ip address. tell why ain't this file running corrextly when either gnome or KDE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a terminal application, needs to be run in a terminal (if you want to see the output). Are you able to ping any address (URL or IP)?

Edited by naraku9333
  • 3 weeks later...

i've got it all figured out now. i've got a router now and i was able access it but nothing on the internet. well i figured out the DNS and the router's IP and used it as the host and BAM i'm on the internet. In fact i'm typing this on my linux box right now. SWEET. Thanks for the help. guess i couldn't access without the router. i had no idea what to put in as the DNS or host.