Linux On Epia Mii 10000

Going to try Ubuntu--hopefully it all works out nicely.

EPIA MII 10000, half a gibi of RAM, 120GiB HDD, Linksys wg511T wireless PCMCIA card

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Link. This was a review I found using google/linux, it seems it is Linux compliant. I saw a few sites that listed problems with wireless cards.

I'd fire up google/linux, see what turns up:-)

EPIA MII 10000, half a gibi of RAM, 120GiB HDD, Linksys wg511T wireless PCMCIA card

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure that's not a Netgear card?

I have a Netgear WG511 (not T) and it was auto-detected and works very well...hopefully you have the same outcome.

Given your advanced *nix experience, I'm pretty sure you'd get it working anyway. :)

VIA has its own kernel modules that will make it run better then stock ubuntu.

I would search via's site for linux stuff.

also you must remember that the EPIA 1 gig is as fast as a 700mhz celeron ( I hava a few of them)

I'm using them as Files servers and firewall's. They work well for this.. they also work well as thin clients.. see http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/ThIndex

they are barly passable as a internet box(running XP or KDE/GNOME).. I have a PIII 500 that seams to be twice as fast with video and audio.. I would stick to a light weight X manager like fluxbox.

I have tried to use one as a mythbox.. but it would lock up after recording a few shows.. I think that may have been a driver issue..

my file server is a 1 TB+ (4 300mb SATA drives). I used an old SUN SCSI drive case and a SUN external CDROM case to hold the Mother board..

they are flexable and do good work... just dont expect a great workstation..

I am waiting on the NANO to create a cluster of systems to RIP dvd's. I don't like my kids to have access to the real DVD's so I store them on the file server.. or else its like th eincredable movie.. I had to buy that 4 times..

good luck..

some links that may help

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux...une/001984.html

the only links I know are Gentoo.. (It takes a long time to do a stage one build on the EPIA.. )

http://www.epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=EpiaHowto

then I found this and It killed me.. I may change my signature..

"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "I can't configure Slackware".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure that's not a Netgear card?

I have a Netgear WG511 (not T) and it was auto-detected and works very well...hopefully you have the same outcome.

Given your advanced *nix experience, I'm pretty sure you'd get it working anyway. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, yes it is the netgear. Not sure why I called it a linksys :blink:

VIA has its own kernel modules that will make it run better then stock ubuntu.

I would search via's site for linux stuff.

also you must remember that the EPIA 1 gig is as fast as a 700mhz celeron ( I hava a few of them)

I'm using them as Files servers and firewall's. They work well for this.. they also work well as thin clients..  see http://thinstation.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/ThIndex

they are barly passable as a internet box(running XP or KDE/GNOME).. I have a PIII 500 that seams to be twice as fast with video and audio.. I would stick to a light weight X manager like fluxbox.

I have tried to use one as a mythbox.. but it would lock up after recording a few shows.. I think that may have been a driver issue..

my file server is a 1 TB+ (4 300mb SATA drives). I used an old SUN SCSI drive case and a SUN external CDROM case to hold the Mother board..

they are flexable and do good work... just dont expect a great workstation..

I am waiting on the NANO to create a cluster of systems to RIP dvd's. I don't like my kids to have access to the real DVD's so I store them on the file server.. or else its like th eincredable movie.. I had to buy that 4 times..

good luck..

some links that may help

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux...une/001984.html

the only links I know are Gentoo.. (It takes a long time to do a stage one build on the EPIA.. )

http://www.epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=EpiaHowto

then I found this and It killed me.. I may change my signature..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hrmm, I wonder if I could use distcc to speed that along?

I prefer Debian to slackware; and prefer Ubuntu to Debian for desktop boxes.

Anyway, regarding the performance problems... that's probably due to the Nehemiah's insanely small L2 cache (64k). Still, there's enough deidcated hardware on this box to handle video playback, assuming I can get the drivers working. I hadn't really considered trying Gentoo on this box because I didn't want to spend a week compiling...

Well, decided to install Gentoo after all. Started at like 4 o'clock yesterday... still compiling... But! Everything is being built with this cache-depleted baby of a processor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Please post a screenshot when you're up and running. :D

Well, decided to install Gentoo after all. Started at like 4 o'clock yesterday... still compiling... But! Everything is being built with this cache-depleted baby of a processor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I have it booting on it's own--built from Stage 1, with the Nehemiah optimizations and kernel patches. Xorg, GTK, and Xfce4 are all built. Working on QT and mythtv right now... Still no unichrome or VIA drm drivers yet.

Next time I decide to do this, I definitely need to setup distcc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I have it booting on it's own--built from Stage 1, with the Nehemiah optimizations and kernel patches. Xorg, GTK, and Xfce4 are all built. Working on QT and mythtv right now... Still no unichrome or VIA drm drivers yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. I've got a good understanding of Slack, but, not Gentoo. I'm also running XFce on my Slackware 10.2 box; I installed 10.2 last night. Sounds like you've just about got it beat:-) Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Below is a shot of my Slackware 10.2 box running XFce4.

snapshot5.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. I've got a good understanding of Slack, but, not Gentoo. I'm also running XFce on my Slackware 10.2 box; I installed 10.2 last night. Sounds like you've just about got it beat:-) Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Below is a shot of my Slackware 10.2 box running XFce4.

snapshot5.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I've been working on it for like... 2 days now. This is definitely no speed demon...

Yeah, I've been working on it for like... 2 days now. This is definitely no speed demon...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what holds me back on installing Gentoo, I've got older hardware and I'd be looking at days of compiling time. Sounds like you'e just about there :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what holds me back on installing Gentoo, I've got older hardware and I'd be looking at days of compiling time. Sounds like you'e just about there :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eh, this thing is about as powerful as a 500mhz Celeron. Only got a 64k L2 cache, but it does run fine as long as you can keep the cache from being flooded. Still, it has hardware MPEG2 decoding, and I'm doing the encoding on another box with a PVR-250 (which provides hardware encoding). So, the actual load on it should be fairly minimal.

The projected Esther core ('C7') should help things out dramatically. Too bad the procs are soldered onto the board...