Zzzzzzzzzzzz

So ya... after some hassel with Linux i did get it up and running, and after playing with the command prompt wich was fun for like... 3 hours. I found that linux is even more boring than windows.

1. its the same as windows with no game support

2. installing programs is 500 times harder than it needs to be

3. some things only work half the time

4. good luck trying to find drivers that lets you use your computer to its fullest

All in all it doesnt seem fun like everyone says. I read up on it, did what people said. I don't see whats so great... right now its just a nuisance that keeps booting up on accident.

Are you sure I wasnt told something that makes Linux really amazing?

It really just depends on what you consider fun. I live and thrive on the challenges that come up on my linux system. Some problems can be far harder to solve than others, but when yur new all problems are extremely hard. Once you get used to the fact Linux does some things drasticaly different than Windows everything will fall into place. Gaming is a big problem for some people (not for me, thats what the Game Cube is for) and that does suck, but there are several games that run natively (which is what I play if I feel the need to play a game on my computer). For some people Windows is just a better choice, but if you stick it out with Linux you will learn more and more daily.

You do mention what I consider the two downfalls for Linux one very limited commercial software available and two the refusal of hardware manufacturers to write linux drivers. There is plenty of linux OSS so that most of us cn live with, but drivers are a necessity. I give alot of respect to people who've reverse engineered wndows drivers (my webcam driver is an example (spca5xx))..

Edited by naraku9333
learn more about what?Ā  there isnt much to learn just how to do stuff faster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sometimes after you first install Linux you can feel a bit of a let down. Is this all there is? Linux is what you make it. Three years ago when I was a rank Linux beginner on the TTV boards jcl was patient with my questions. He helped me to be successful.

When you get through this tough period you'll find something that really interests you in Linux. There is so much to learn; I'm never bored with Linux.

Hang in there, fubz. :D

Gaming isn't a problem for me either. The games may not suck but I do anymore. So I am really enjoying linux as a learning experience. Its all in your perspective

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if faster is not enough.. you really need a project to keep learning.. build a DVR or a web server. create a firewall, learn to build a live CD with all the tools. Then do the saem with windows and see the diffrence..

DVR -

need capture card. nothing else to payfor.. With windows you can have a really poor DVR with just hte software with the card.. but to get a decent one you need microsoft media center... which is $150 at OEM cost plus only runs on spacific hardware..

Firewall.. nevermind tring it on windows.. Windows has no kernel level routing or filtering so its will do a poor job.

Webserver is simple on Windows .. I feel Its a lot more challaging on Linux/UNIX but once runnning on Linux/UNIX I have never had a need to reboot, even after patches.. a /etc/inint.d/apache restart dose it all for me..

you can do the same with apache on Windows.

Its really up to you what you want. do you what stay with a OS that is going down the road of restricting you, or do you want to learn more about your system and do anything you want.. its your choice..

one more note..

after 23 some odd years with computers ..they are all boring unless you have some kind of project or you are tring something new.. once linux is setup it should be boring.. as you should never have to tough it to keep it running.

Sometimes after you first install Linux you can feel a bit of a let down.Ā  Is this all there is?Ā  Linux is what you make it.Ā  Three years ago when I was a rank Linux beginner on the TTV boards jcl was patient with my questions.Ā  He helped me to be successful.

When you get through this tough period you'll find something that really interests you in Linux.Ā  There is so much to learn; I'm never bored with Linux.Ā 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could always use it to test my java programs :)

if faster is not enough.. you really need a project to keep learning.. build a DVR or a web server. create a firewall, learn to build a live CD with all the tools. Then do the saem with windows and see the diffrence..

DVR -

need capture card. nothing else to payfor.. With windows you can have a really poor DVR with just hte software with the card.. but to get a decent one you need microsoft media center... which is $150 at OEM cost plus only runs on spacific hardware..

Firewall.. nevermind tring it on windows.. Windows has no kernel level routing or filtering so its will do a poor job.

Webserver is simple on Windows .. I feel Its a lot more challaging on Linux/UNIX but once runnning on Linux/UNIX I have never had a need to reboot, even after patches.. a /etc/inint.d/apache restart dose it all for me..

Its really up to you what you want. do you what stay with a OS that is going down the road of restricting you, or do you want to learn more about your system and do anything you want.. its your choice..

one more note..

after 23 some odd years with computers ..they are all boring unless you have some kind of project or you are tring something new..Ā  once linux is setup it should be boring.. as you should never have to tough it to keep it running.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DVR sounds fun... but i only have a 80 + 40gb HD :( i can't afford anything more. Im lucky i have what i do.

firewall... uhh ya, like i could do that. i have no idea how the internet works, i just use it. I really do wanna learn, it would be cool to just happen to go into a friends computer and take controll of their mouse or keyboard. But like thats ever gonna happpen....

webserver... well proxy maybe, for my friends to bypass school filter.

anyone have any more projects?

1. GNU/Linux supports games, its many games that don't support it. As for why some people like it, well there are many reasons with different people having different ones. You can even find pairs of people who will give the same reason for liking it and disliking it respectively. GNU/Linux also varies a lot, different distros configured in different ways are, well, different. The desktop Environment alone makes an enormous difference.

2. Installing software on many GNU/Linux systems usually amounts to: giving your password, selecting a package from a list, clicking the install button, and waiting as the package is downloaded and installed. No need to find the web page, find the right download, run the installer, etc. updating is even easier as one command (or button press) can update all the packages on your system.

3. Some things work all the time. And some things on Windows are not exactly reliable. How about being specific?

4. Well I could comment on getting a Gravis Ultrasound or GrIP gamepad to work under XP. Or the fact my parents can't seem to get more than 2 USB devices at a time to work on their Win2k machine thanks to driver conflicts. If you use Linux you have to check compatibility before buying, but you should research hardware before buying it anyways. A little research can result in a system that can do everything with it's hardware that Windows could, and maybe even a few things Windows couldn't.

GNU/Linux wasn't made to be amusing. It was made to get stuff done. That stuff may well be entertaining but in and of itself it's an OS, it's there to provide support for the applications you want to run. Criticizing it for not being fun is like criticizing an FPS for not being a good way to work out your monthly budget.

No.

If you consider selecting a package and clicking 'Apply' to be hard, then you should just go back to a paper and pencil.

Like very other platform--GNU/Linux is just better than most.

4. good luck trying to find drivers that lets you use your computer to its fullest

I didn't need luck, I needed 5 minutes checking an HCL.

DVR -

SageTV and BeyondTV are both comparable to Windows MCE. Haven't yet given MythTV or freevo a shot yet, but am planning to do so tonight.

No.

If you consider selecting a package and clicking 'Apply' to be hard, then you should just go back to a paper and pencil.

Like very other platform--GNU/Linux is just better than most.

I didn't need luck, I needed 5 minutes checking an HCL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2. i so wasnt informed on this easy install of programs... where can i get this info?

4. whats HCL?

Hai-Etlik, i wasn't criticizing it really, i really do like it, its pretty neat. Its just everyone said they were always having new adventures and it never got dull, guess im just missing something...

2. i so wasnt informed on this easy install of programs...Ā  where can i get this info?

RTFM.

4. whats HCL?

Hardware compatibility list.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with jcl, fubz. You've installed Linux, you are up and running. It is time for you to go out on the Internet and read up on some of the information that is available on the Ubuntu websites. When you're starting out in Linux you should read, read, read. :D

The Linux experts will of course help you when you're in a real jam.

Sometimes after you first install Linux you can feel a bit of a let down.Ā  Is this all there is?Ā  Linux is what you make it.Ā  Three years ago when I was a rank Linux beginner on the TTV boards jcl was patient with my questions.Ā  He helped me to be successful.

When you get through this tough period you'll find something that really interests you in Linux.Ā  There is so much to learn; I'm never bored with Linux.Ā 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could always use it to test my java programs :)

DVR -

one more note..

after 23 some odd years with computers ..they are all boring unless you have some kind of project or you are tring something new..Ā  once linux is setup it should be boring.. as you should never have to tough it to keep it running.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DVR sounds fun... but i only have a 80 + 40gb HD :( i can't afford anything more. Im lucky i have what i do.

firewall... uhh ya, like i could do that. i have no idea how the internet works, i just use it. I really do wanna learn, it would be cool to just happen to go into a friends computer and take controll of their mouse or keyboard. But like thats ever gonna happpen....

webserver... well proxy maybe, for my friends to bypass school filter.

anyone have any more projects?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

firewall, look at the devil linux pages http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php

DVR look at FREEVO and MYTHTV (I have myth running on a Xbox right now.. 15 gig harddrive and all. its a testing of my rebuild.. before I move it back to my old mythbox) so you don't need any real HD space to play with building a DVR.

you install ubuntu now try Slackware or Gentoo.. That should keep you busy.

There is so much you can do..

for installing software synaptic is the program that will install most programs with a push of a button.

or command line: apt-get freevo install

for example.

if you what to learn how to do things like take over systems .. try to take yours over. then fix how you got into them and try agian.. it will make you marketable latter.

this is a good project for learning..

here is how to use simple one line commands to burn and rip DVD/CD's

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?s...6&tid=13&tid=47

I agree with jcl, fubz.Ā  You've installed Linux, you are up and running.Ā  It is time for you to go out on the Internet and read up on some of the information that is available on the Ubuntu websites.Ā  When you're starting out in Linux you should read, read, read. :D

The Linux experts will of course help you when you're in a real jam.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reading.... >_< i've got like ADD if its any longer than like 3 pages... lol :P know of any interactive readings? :P

if you what to learn how to do things like take over systems .. try to take yours over. then fix how you got into them and try agian.. it will make you marketable latter.

this is a good project for learning..

here is how to use simple one line commands to burn and rip DVD/CD's

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?s...6&tid=13&tid=47

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

taking over my own computer sounds like fun... if i can chat with myself using AIM for an hour... im sure taking over my computer will give me days of fun :) Now to learn....

Reading.... >_< i've got like ADD if its any longer than like 3 pages... lolĀ  :P know of any interactive readings? :P

My website in my signature below has lots of educational links you might like to try out.

This website has a command line tutorial that you might like; it'll show you how to use a shell prompt. :D

Reading.... >_< i've got like ADD if its any longer than like 3 pages... lolĀ  :P know of any interactive readings? :P

My website in my signature below has lots of educational links you might like to try out.

This website has a command line tutorial that you might like; it'll show you how to use a shell prompt. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think im on like page 9 of that tutorial, i have it bookmarked :) i went crazy for a day deleting things using the *, lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think im on like page 9 of that tutorial, i have it bookmarked :) i went crazy for a day deleting things using the *, lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh-heh, glad you're enjoying it. :D