Computer Restarts When I Play Bf2

Ok i have been having this problem with battlefield 2 today. Earlier when i tired to join a server it joined but it froze up and showed only one frame. ten seconds later it would show another frame and so on. The sound would get cut too. I reinstalled bf2 but it hasnt helped. I reinstalled the drivers for my video cards (radeon 9800 pro) still wouldnt work. Infact i think it made it worse. Now when i Join a server it works fine for 3 seconds and then the computer restarts. I dont understand what that means. Sombody help me please. Im running windows XP PRO sp2 and I have the latest directx version as well.

when you re-installed the video card drivers, did you fully un-install the drivers that were previously installed? there was at one time an issue with Radeon cards that all the drivers had to be removed before you can install, and then update drivers. i remember from another forum i frequent this was common among Radeon cards.

it could also mean that if the video card has a fan on it, maybe the fan isn't working right, and the card is heating up..?

and by the way, did you at any time ever "overclock" the card?

or have you ever "overclocked" the cpu..??

what's the full specs including your PSU

make sure you used the latest drivers for your video card and not the ones that came with it. an also since your runnin that card i'd suggest running the game in the lowest settings.

My 6600GT handles it OK in medium but before the game would ever let me play though it made me update drivers (that was back when i had a 5700ultra) it made all nVidia users do that cause it came with the latest nVidia drivers at the time.

Got all the latest drivers and everything. Yes i did uninstall the drivers before reinstalling them. I have a 500 watt PSU so that should be fine. I have never overclocked anything. The fan is spinning fine and the card works fine while playing Counter strike 1.6.

I have a AMD 3400 + 2.41 GHZ.

try this site for many answers

the above link is for a search i did on google. now, i read only a few of the links myself, and it seems right now, as though its an intense game. also, it seems as though the cpu is heating up way too much. so, i would at least read through all the forums regarding Battlefield 2 problems, then i would at least try for a bigger, better heatsink fan combo, or at least a new cpu fan. maybe even a better cooling fan for your video card may be needed as well. this all does seem to be heat related as i first thought, but was hesitant to mention this earlier.

Ok this is weird I tried running it again and suddenly it worked fine. I dont know what happened.... It may be  a heat problem but I have a venus 12 heatsink and i thing my processor hits about 60 or so under load.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is dangerously hot. 5C more or so and you could permantely damage/destroy your CPU. You should dust out your computer (especially the HSF), and get some thermal paste if you don't have any.

it runs a 49 C idle. I have artic silver in there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

49 idle is still pretty high. My AMD Athlon 64 3200+ idles at 30~34 depending on how hot it is in my room.

You wouldn't happen to have an Abit AV8 would you? Becuase before my BIOS update, mine would idle at around 50 and then they re-calibrated the CPU temps.

Ok this is weird I tried running it again and suddenly it worked fine. I dont know what happened.... It may be  a heat problem but I have a venus 12 heatsink and i thing my processor hits about 60 or so under load.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is dangerously hot. 5C more or so and you could permantely damage/destroy your CPU. You should dust out your computer (especially the HSF), and get some thermal paste if you don't have any.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

60 is on the hot side, but I don't think dangerous is the proper term. I would like to see some eveidence(documentation) that cpu damage could happen at 65 C.

Edited by shanenin
http://139.95.253.213/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI....,Case=obj(4271)

It looks like for all version of the 3400 the max is 70C, so he has about 5C more to spare, but frankly I wouldn't be happy with temps like those when he should easily be getting ones 10-20C cooler.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know why im not getting cooler. I mentioned earlier that I was using the Venus 12 Heatsink Its REALLY LOUD but I think its pulling alot of air. (26.5 ~ 72.92CFM depending on the setting I put it at.) I really dont know how to compare heatsinks very well.

That's not really that many fans. How are the fans positioned? If it is in the back/on top it should be exhaust, in the front intake. Is everything dust free? As for the HSF, at the low setting that is pretty weak, and the highest it should be plenty strong enough. Is everything clean? What are your other temps?

The one sucking air has cables nearby but nothing right up in it.

My system temps are:

systemtemp.jpg

This is at idle

I have one fan on the side case wich sucks air and once fan on top wich blows.

Yes i know its pretty weak but its LOUD. Unbeivably loud. I only use it when I browse the web or talk to friends.

Edited by Sir_Siddy

hey at least yours don't idle at 60 with artic silver 5 like mine

actually most AMD's are rated to operate up till like 80 BUT my game performance goes to crap at around 65. oddly enough there is barely any rise to my system temps when a game starts but it is still insanely high.