Symantec Corporate Edition - Lost Password

Hi guys and gals

I am working on a remote computer that has Symantec Corporate edition installed (not sure which version, I think it's 10)

There is a server group in there that we could no longer unlock. It said that the password is incorrect, but I know it isn't

So we just installed a new server group.

This was several months ago.

I was in there today trying to figure out how to delete the old group without the password to no avail.

There is a tool called iforgot.exe that shows the encrypted password, and you are supposed to contact support and have them decrypt it for you. For a huge fee

Upon running this program and Googling to no avail, suddenly the new server group is not accepting the password!

Does anyone know how, short of uninstalling, I can reset the password? I've looked in the registry and can't find any stored passwords.

I've been through google and Symantecs site to no avail. I'm hoping to find someone that had the same problem

EDIT

Just found this

http://blog.thedevins.com/archives/000426.php

That value is in my registry, so the password 'symantec' unlocked my last server group, but not the old one I was trying to delete in the first place.

I'll keep plugging...

Edited by DumbTerminal
Hi guys and gals

I am working on a remote computer that has Symantec Corporate edition installed (not sure which version, I think it's 10)

There is a server group in there that we could no longer unlock. It said that the password is incorrect, but I know it isn't

So we just installed a new server group.

This was several months ago.

I was in there today trying to figure out how to delete the old group without the password to no avail.

There is a tool called iforgot.exe that shows the encrypted password, and you are supposed to contact support and have them decrypt it for you. For a huge fee

Upon running this program and Googling to no avail, suddenly the new server group is not accepting the password!

Does anyone know how, short of uninstalling, I can reset the password? I've looked in the registry and can't find any stored passwords.

I've been through google and Symantecs site to no avail. I'm hoping to find someone that had the same problem

EDIT

Just found this

http://blog.thedevins.com/archives/000426.php

That value is in my registry, so the password 'symantec' unlocked my last server group, but not the old one I was trying to delete in the first place.

I'll keep plugging...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Using that same Registry entry, is there anything else called Password or pssw or psw? Look for something else in that same area with a password abbreviation.