2.5" Usb 2.0 Hard Drive Enclosure

2.5" USB 2.0 Hard Drive Enclosure (Adaptec) was installed with new hard drive. The hard drive was partioned, and formatted. The unit and it's drivers is recognized in device manager, and listed as working properly. However it's not recognized in My Computer, or Windows explorer.

Windows 98se

Any asssistance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure if I remember how it works in 98se but in XP,right click on My computer,then click on Manage. Then click on disk management. If the drive is there,right click on it,and click on mark partition as active or change drive letter and paths.Honestly its been so long and I've only done it once but thats where I fixed it.

Do you have any other working USB devices? If not I'd get hold of one to see if USB is properly enabled at all.

There may be other drivers required by '9x to see the drive throughout the OS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the response.

Yes, and all other USB devices works properly. Guess what ? I connected the enclosure to another machine with XP, and XP recognized it everywhere, and the enclosure worked perfectly.

Thanks again

To summarize (to see if I got this straight): You have USB devices that work as they should, you installed another, a hard drive, formatted and partioned it (how exactly, if you cannot see the drive in Explorer?), device manager sees it and shows no trouble, yet it does not even show up in My Computer or Explorer -- and it DOES work on another system?

Ok, my brain hurts. I'm gonna hafta think on that one. :blink:

To summarize (to see if I got this straight): You have USB devices that work as they should, you installed another, a hard drive, formatted and partioned it (how exactly, if you cannot see the drive in Explorer?), device manager sees it and shows no trouble, yet it does not even show up in My Computer or Explorer -- and it DOES work on another system?

Ok, my brain hurts. I'm gonna hafta think on that one.        :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the help.

1. I have USB devices that work as they should.

2. I did NOT install another hard drive.

3. I installed "USB hard drive enclosure" with new formatted, and partioned (Fat 32) hard drive.

4. Unlike other USB devices, the "USB hard drive enclosure" is NOT seen in My computer, or Explorer, ONLY in device manager. (Compaq Armada e500, Windows 98se)

5. In device manager both hardware, and driver is listed as working properly.

6. On another machine with Windows Xp, the "USB hard drive enclosure" is seen everywhere, and works perfectly.

Thanks...