Dual Boot Xp Pro And Linspire

Hey guys I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop. 2.8 mobile P4 with 256megs of ram and a 24 gig HDD that has 14 gigs free.

I want to try a dual boot with Linspire (5.? I think). I don't have a restore cd if something screws up. I plan to make an image of the drive.

How do I do the dual boot without reformating?

I was thinking of a third party partition software to break the drive up. The try to get Linspire to install on the second partition.

???

M

third party partitioning software is the way to go, but can be risky. I have had partition magic fail on me in the past. If you go that route, choose to leave the space as unallocated. When you goto install linspire, it will ask you if you want to install in unallocated space.

How much space should I leave for Linspire. This will be a secondary OS, XP is primary.

Between 6-8 gigs?

M

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

6 gigabytes is plenty. Especially if you are just playing around. If you were doing stuff like dvd ripping, downloading avi files, then you would need more.

Edited by shanenin

Does Linspire have a free version? Theres nothing wrong with paying for a distribubtion, but Linspire wouldn't be my choice. The price may well be worth it if they provide support, if not I would choose Ubuntu/Kubuntu.