I don't want to be a test case for sp2, so is there a recommended time to wait for them to get the bugs out.They have issues with two programs I run: system works 2003 and zone alarm pro version 4.5( rolled back from version 5.0 due to bugs)

it figures sp2 has issues with both versions of zap.any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

From all the talk I've seen about SP2, most people are waiting about a month so the other ginnea pigs can have all the "fun" for them. I need to reformat my harddrive anyway, so after I have backed up all my data, I plan to make myself one of those ginnea pigs for PRO's SP2 (which is due out today by the way). I'll test it for a few weeks and see how it goes. This way, if it does anything to my computer, I don't have to worry about it since I already backed up all my data and have been planning to reformat anyway.

Let's hear it for the ginnea pigs! LOL

GO ginnea pigs! LOL

I think I'll wait a while before installing SP2. After all, we are talking about Microsoft (LOL). I'm sure there will be several (more) bugs found, before all is said and done. So I'll just sit back, watch, wait and see.

I had a friend update hers on XP Home to SP2 yesterday without my knowledge. I told her I would have given her some pointers if she felt like she had to do it. But, she didn't back stuff up beforehand, etc. So, after downloading it and restarting it she says it was really, really slow - just like I've read on other boards. And now it's having trouble getting online and all kinds of other things. I've had her go to the firewall and make sure it has access, and she says it does, but I need to see the computer in person to make sure she is doing it right. It's all kinds of screwy. Definitely need to back up and make sure other programs aren't running, etc., before doing it. It's turning into a real nightmare for her.

Hope your transition goes successfully Nerelda...I'm sure it will.

i got sp2 installed on this computer gatewayxp and all sems to be going well but,then again when you don't know anything about something like sp2 you're running blind,only thing is it stops.puts up a block on my little yellow running man,aol/aim? and also has a pop up blocker at top of page /site i visit and 1 on the bottom,,the top 1 is alright but the one at bottom annoys me because i can't pull up the page to see the bottom line,and when i click on the one at bottom it ask me if i want to turn off the pop up blocker,,i dont want to turn it off i want to hide it and just have one at top so i can see the last line,i have tried to raise the page by the little arror with mouse but wont do it,refuses to raise it any more,but then again too much of raise will put red x where you click off at out of sight,,but if anything else is wrong i dont know it yet, will post if i find more,,ha,ha,ha,ha, dont know what im looking for tho

missy51633 :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link tashi - I read a similar posting on the G4TTV boards, though the list was much longer. Are they actually fixing problems, or is this another type of list entirely? hehehe....thx again.

Yeah, the list I first saw had considerably more programs on it (227). It would be nice if this new list is an updated version. I have a copy of the other list if anybody is interested.

I don't want to be a test case for sp2, so is there a recommended time to wait for them to get the bugs out.They have issues with two programs I run: system works 2003 and zone alarm pro version 4.5( rolled back from version 5.0 due to bugs)

it figures sp2 has issues with both versions of zap.any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

I have seen SP-2 on about 15 or so machines running Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.011.000 with no problems with any of them.......(yet)......hahahahahaha......

I asked this on the G4TTV board, but I'll throw it out here too just in case it got lost in the cartoons over there..... :P

If a person doesn't use IE at all (yay Firefox!), doesn't use the Windows Firewall because they have a third party solution that works better and is current and up-to-date on all the other Windows Updates, is there even a NEED to update to SP2? Is there going to be a problem updating using Windows Update further on down the road if you disregard SP2? I just have heard so many problems caused by this that I'm a bit apprehensive about losing my laptop. I would take the proper precautions, of course, and everything would be backed up...but it would still be a pain to have to deal with losing my laptop for several hours while things were restored.

So, I'm just wondering - can SP2 be skipped? Or is there something other than the security control panel (and all that includes), firewall and IE upgrades that makes this worth having?

Ok Im new to this bord! Um...But let me just say im not a newbie! LOL ive posted over 1000 posts on Bleepingcomputer.com. Well About the sp2 you can get the full version of it on cd from microsoft free! Shipped to you! Heres a link get it while they have copies left!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

I oficially made myself one of the ginnea pigs as well today. I installed SP2 on my XP Professional desktop. I have to say that the installation went smoothly and without fault. As most people did, I also noticed some speed difference in my computer's performance, but not like others have. My speed difference was the opposite....that's right, it's running FASTER! (I don't get it.....) There is no speed diffference while I am doing my usual operating of my system, but on shutting down the computer, I noticed it's about 1/3 faster than it was before. Booting up, I've noticed that the process is also about 1/3 faster, and that no other changes were made to my system, so it couldn't have been anything else I did......go figure.

I'll try and keep you all up to date on how my SP2 PRO system is doing. I have the Home edition on my laptop, but I'm not stupid enough to update that one yet.....in a few months, I might be though.

I oficially made myself one of the ginnea pigs as well today. I installed SP2 on my XP Professional desktop. I have to say that the installation went smoothly and without fault. As most people did, I also noticed some speed difference in my computer's performance, but not like others have. My speed difference was the opposite....that's right, it's running FASTER! (I don't get it.....) There is no speed diffference while I am doing my usual operating of my system, but on shutting down the computer, I noticed it's about 1/3 faster than it was before. Booting up, I've noticed that the process is also about 1/3 faster, and that no other changes were made to my system, so it couldn't have been anything else I did......go figure.

I'll try and keep you all up to date on how my SP2 PRO system is doing. I have the Home edition on my laptop, but I'm not stupid enough to update that one yet.....in a few months, I might be though.

I repeat:

"GO, ginnea pigs!" lol

Faster? I'm sure MS will come out with a patch to "fix" that, soon. lol

From reading threads in a bunch of different forums, it appears the Home version has more problems than the Pro version does.

All my machines have Pro, and I haven't had any problems at all.

My informal poll on the G4 Tech Support board is running about 3(no problem) to 1 (had problems) with 46 votes cast.

Most of those votes were cast before Windows Update lit SP2 up for Pro users though.

I'll leave it to you to decide if the odds sound good enough.

You might find this information of interest.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

:)

Thanks for the link. I'm going to print this out and keep it for now.

I ordered the sp2 cd today. Won't get it for 4-6 weeks, but thats ok. Not going to install it for a couple of months. Wait until the experts test drive it first.

Barb :o

I was one of the few in the beginning that was able to order the CD and less then 24 hours later they cut everyone off. I got My CD. this past Wednesday Lol