If the sound card goes bad, meaning it doesn't show up in the device manager and reinstalling drivers doesn't work, can it affect the NIC? It is doing that to me at the moment. I take out the sound card I get my NIC back. So basically is the sound card gone for good?

Windows 2000

Creative Soundblaster Live! Valvue

Realtek NIC

-----Update------

I switched sound cards and it found the new one. I switched them back and NOW it sees the old one. I found updated drivers for Creative and just installed them. Hopefully I can have sound and NIC at the same time. *crosses fingers* so far it seems to be working

Edited by Satiate

About a year ago I had a somewhat similar problem with an oldish HP desktop, it too was running Windows 2000. I installed a new NIC, and although Device Manager showed no errors whatsoever, the modem absolutely would not work properly as long as the NIC was enabled during bootup (But for some reason enabling it AFTER bootup didn't cause any problems). Although I did find a temporary workaround (It involved logon/logoff scripts and a command-line version of Device Manager to enable and disable the NIC), I eventually ended up replacing the modem. After that point, the problems went away.

So, more than likely you'll need to replace one of those cards, either the NIC or the sound card. If it's onboard audio, you'll need to disable it in the BIOS, and install a separate sound card.