Kde & Gnome

What are the main differences between KDE and GNOME? I've done google searches and asked around but cant get a straight answer. Which is better for certain things and if you have something like Knoppix can you install a GNOME DE on that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the dfferences are just look and feel. The biggest difference is each uses different graphical toolkits, QT for KDE, GTK+ for GNOME. Each DE has it's ups and downs for everyone, it would be best to just try each yourself too see which YOU like most. Knoppix comes with KDE only i believe(as does Kubuntu), but there is Gnoppix which has GNOME (as does Ubuntu). Theres also XFCE4, which is alittle lighter on recources then GNOME and KDE (i've been using XFCE4 lately).

Great reply, Naraku but what about some features like the Virtual desktops is that included in GNOME and XFCE4 as well? and what about changing which DE you have i.e from KDE to GNOME is that possible?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you boot to run level 5 in KDE and Gnome it will allow you to choose the session type (KDE, Gnome, XFce, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, etc.) for many versions of Linux. If you have installed multiple DEs you can switch between them from the GUI log-in prompt. You can also choose the session type at a run level three prompt too.

That is, if you choose one session to be Gnome then log-out you could choose the next session to be KDE, etc.

Great reply, Naraku but what about some features like the Virtual desktops is that included in GNOME and XFCE4 as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Practically every WM or DE you can get working under X11 supports virtual desktops or an equivalent. The only exceptions I can think of are twm and one of the Plan 9-inspired WMs.

Feature comparisons between KDE and GNOME are a bit complicated. GNOME intentionally avoids adding features that would (in their view) unnecessarily complicated the DE. KDE does not, at least not yet. There are single control panels in KDE with almost as many knobs as GNOME as a whole.

(Oddly enough, IMO the situation is reversed when you look at GNOME and KDE from a technical point of view. Both DEs are extremely complex under the hood, but KDE seems to do a much better job managing the complexity. GNOME is a bit scary.)

(Oddly enough, IMO the situation is reversed when you look at GNOME and KDE from a technical point of view.  Both DEs are extremely complex under the hood, but KDE seems to do a much better job managing the complexity.  GNOME is a bit scary.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also am very fond of KDE. I run Gnome on my Ubuntu box with no complaints, but, I like the way KDE is organized. KDE on my Slackware box runs very well indeed. :D

Got it thx :D, Whats that site thought...Where you take some quiz and answer some questions and it finds the best Linux Distro for you? I found it once in here but can't find it anymore :(. Do any of you guys know where it might be hiding?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not familiar with that site. You could try looking in google linux you might be able to find it there.

Maybe if you gave a bit more information here about what you're looking for in a Linux version someone here could suggest a distro that would meet your needs. :D

I found the site its http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Basically I just need to a Distro that will let me play my games and run apps that I think only run on windows like Winamp, ZA, etc... But what about all my files I have about 60 gbs worth of things if I could only get rid of XP but still have all my files. Wait I can duel boot with XP and a Linux Distro, I saw a few sites but it looks like if you make 1 wrong move your screwed and will lose all of your files, I will search again but if you guys have some good tutorials I will be willing to try them out to have a go at Linux.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically I just need to a Distro that will let me play my games and run apps that I think only run on windows like Winamp, ZA, etc... But what about all my files I have about 60 gbs worth of things if I could only get rid of XP but still have all my files. Wait I can duel boot with XP and a Linux Distro, I saw a few sites but it looks like if you make 1 wrong move your screwed and will lose all of your files, I will search again but if you guys have some good tutorials I will be willing to try them out to have a  go at Linux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

one thing you can do to transfer your files is make a bakcup of them all and then just copy them over, if you are serious about going full time on the linux OS.

there is a Linux version of Winamp, albeit a little old in version. ZA won't work on Linux last I knew, however if you install Firestarter you will get just as good if not better protection then ZA. and as for gaming on Linux, not all your games will work on linux even if you used WINE or Cedega (which is non-free). You may want to google to make sure your games and any other programs you want on Linux from Windows will be compatible, as well as fairly easy to install into the Linux OS

Basically I just need to a Distro that will let me play my games and run apps that I think only run on windows like Winamp, ZA, etc... But what about all my files I have about 60 gbs worth of things if I could only get rid of XP but still have all my files. Wait I can duel boot with XP and a Linux Distro, I saw a few sites but it looks like if you make 1 wrong move your screwed and will lose all of your files, I will search again but if you guys have some good tutorials I will be willing to try them out to have a  go at Linux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EFWIS has a great answer.. just wanted to expand..

first all Linux distribution

since Red Hat 5.0 have had IP tables. IP tables will and can do everything Zone alarm did for you (IT still better to have a "REAL" firewall between all your systems and the internet). But most of the things you used ZA for in wondows does not matter in Linux.. no SPyware, no viruses. I use iptables to keep people from tring things like rlogin or telent even if they are turned off. adn I use clamAV for virus protection (or more like check to make sure a windows user did not give me a file with a virus, and have me pass it on), Firestarter is a GUI to let you interact with IP tables with out all the manual editing of tables. It looks good and I may have to add it to my CD.. good find EFWIS

for games.. depending on which games.. well windows is a great "TOY" OS.. so it may be better to keep it on one system ( I build a MAME arcade box that runs my only copy of XP, to play MAME and other video games.. also keeps the kids off my computer.)

xxms will replace winAMP with no problems..