Linux Kernel - Updates

I installed the new kernel last week to test. And aside from some issues with alsa I havn't had any problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am running 2.6.7, any newer versions of the kernel have a newer version of alsa that will not work with me. I suppose I could use a newer kernel then install an older version of alsa seperately, but I find it just easier to run a slighlty older kernel.

I installed the new kernel last week to test. And aside from some issues with alsa I havn't had any problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am running 2.6.7, any newer versions of the kernel have a newer version of alsa that will not work with me. I suppose I could use a newer kernel then install an older version of alsa seperately, but I find it just easier to run a slighlty older kernel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was having similar problems with 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 which kept me on 2.6.7. But havn't had any problems at all with 2.6.10, 11 or 12. Do you use the kernel alsa or alsa-driver?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was having similar problems with 2.6.8 and 2.6.9 which kept me on 2.6.7. But havn't had any problems at all with 2.6.10, 11 or 12. Do you use the kernel alsa or alsa-driver?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am using the ALSA in the kernel tree. I suppose I could use any version of the kernel, but use an older alsa-driver package. I was not sure how to install an older version of alsa with portage, so I just used an older kernel(which also has the needed older version of also) from kernel.org

Thats what I usually have to do. I run amd64, so i need snd-ioctl32 for some app's sond to work (only doom3 comes to mind). I use alsa-driver-1.0.8 in 2.6.12-r9 which works fully, 1.0.9 gives me problems with snd-ioctl32. With this new kernel i need alsa-driver-1.0.10_rc1 to get any sound (but no snd-ioctl32).

If what your using works for you, theres no need to bother. Then again its not that hard to compile a kernel and a veiw modules ;P

• 2 weeks later...

I played with 2.6.14 alittle last week. The kernel compiled and booted fine,but none of my external modules compiled except the nvidia driver which wouldnt load anyway. Portage (Gentoo package system) has a new release candidate (vanilla-sources) so maybe i'll give it a try.

Edited by naraku9333
I played with 2.6.14 alittle last week. The kernel compiled and booted fine,but none of my external modules compiled except the nvidia driver which wouldnt load anyway. Portage (Gentoo package system) has a new release candidate (vanilla-sources) so maybe i'll give it a try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, that seems really extreme. You would not think it would be so buggy on your system.