is any one having bootup slowdowns to their sys.

my boot up takes at least 2 minutes .and that is quite slow for my xppro.

i read where sp2 will slow the sys down but surely not that slow ive tried al sorts of cleaning my sys.disk cleanup -defrag you name it ive done it.

i installed task lists so i can compare the task manager entrys to the task li9st entrys and it all seems in order.they are all legitimate entrys as far as the task lists goes.

when i press ctrl alt delete

it high lights AVG so that may be the culprit.tho im only guessing

any ideas

marty

hi -win xppro- 256 mgs ram-.10geg hdd.av scanner avg-Adaware-

these are the main items plus- sp2 75mgs- cpu 601mghs

before the win up date.it was reasonably fast.but since the up date it has slowed

but im not sure if this is the reason or not.

thanks

marty

Marty, 10 gig Hard Drive is a bit on the small side... what percentage of your Hard Drive is being used?

hi sys uses 2.19.used space .and 7.35.free space

so i dont think it is hdd space .my sys used to be very fast before i installed sp2

with the same specs.ive disabled my desktop background and the screen saver.

to try and speed up the start uphut down is just as slow.tho read where xppro rewrites the registry at close down so that maybe the reason for the slow close down..if i could determine the reason for the slow start up i would take measures to fix it

marty

Have you also tried using a startup manager to manage what programs should be starting at boot up?

I'm experiencing major slow downs with my laptop, and it doesn't even have SP2 on it yet.....just recently did all the scans like you did, but I'm going to do it again and investigate. If I find or think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Have you also tried using a startup manager to manage what programs should be starting at boot up?

I'm experiencing major slow downs with my laptop, and it doesn't even have SP2 on it yet.....just recently did all the scans like you did, but I'm going to do it again and investigate. If I find or think of anything else, I'll let you know.

hi Nerelda, thanks for trying to help.il_wiccan posted a way to help the start speed up.by deleting the prefetch cache.and it has helped i little bit. but more than minute start is far to slow.so it must be some thing within my sys.and i cant seem to pinpoint it.i have a feeling it is the secutiry issues within sp2 that is causing the slow downs .i may just have ti live with it.if im going to perservere with the sp2 issues.have you tried the prefetch defrag posted by il_wiccan.

i think the code goes like this.

start run-type cmd.at the prompt type. defrag c: -b several posters who tried it said it made some sort of difference to ther start up.

good luck

marty

The something happened to my cousins computer he said that if you have a bootleg copy of Xp the SP2 will slow or even stop your computer altogether. What he did was he formatted his computer downloaded SP1 and his computer is fine now. Just remove SP2 have a good firewall and update your computer all the time I don’t think you have to have SP2 to get new updates.

Hope this

i got 256MB RAM as well,marty but a 20GB.

perhaps what causing the lag are bits of programs trying to launch itself automatically such as AV and firewalls.

do you time it from the moment starts up XP or when you get to see your desktop up to the time it has finished launching everything?

i guess all systems a re bound to slow down a bit after some time...

mine slowed down to a bit but not that slow like yours.

Marty check out this link, especially the part about disabling the service named Workstation. I disabled mine and my desktop especially loads very effeciently.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...id=1590&page=31

hi earnoldo havent heard from you in a while good to see you posting here yes i will try your fix and ile post back with the results

thanks

marty

Marty check out this link, especially the part about disabling the service named Workstation. I disabled mine and my desktop especially loads very effeciently.

hi earnaldo

well already ive save a lot closing down time with a couple o tweeks from that website.

i need to try the reg tweeks to save more time

you havent lost your touch.

im not that good in the reg tweeks but intend to study it and then try it

since i answered your post ive save some time between close down abd boot up.

ile post back with the results marty

Hey Marty, Just remember to make backups of your registry before doing any tweaks to it. :) After all the work you've already put into it, we wouldn't want you to have to reformat and start all over again......then again with the slowdown problems you have, it may be getting near time to do just that.

I hate to be the one to say this as I have never suggested to anyone before, but I too had a bunch of trouble with SP. 2 slowing my comp down. Boot up and shut down was sloooooow, not to mention I am on cable and my surfing was like being on dial up. I tried everything and nothing would work. In the end I did a total reformat and I no longer have any and I mean no problems with SP. 2 or my comp. So if you have tried everything and nothing has worked format is in order :( sorry I had to say the word reinstall windows :unsure: it sucks I know. I had to do mine like 4 times because I never done a reformat. What a disaster for me because after my first time I thought all was well until I booted up and found I had a choice of which OS. I wanted to boot from when it was the same OS. It was all trial an error but that was how I learned how to do it.

My comp was of no use to me the way it was before I did the reinstall, but now after 4 attempts I can do it in my sleep Lol. Hope you get it all worked out without a reinstall. Please post back and let us know how things work out for ya. Shadow. ;)

hey shadow that has been at the back of my mind, a reformat.

like you i was a complete dud at formatting.

but i have the right floppys disk now and ive tried it a coupla times.

theonly thing im wary about i have a few programs in my favourites.whick i need to burn to a cd.previously i didnt have a burner.

but at the moment i need to try a few tweeks to try and speed my sys .

it is all in the learning of how to maintain a compt .

i appreciate all the posts in trying to help.

thanks

marty

Hi Earnoldo, Good to see you again. Very nice link that you posted.

Also it has been noticed that after a few reboots that the system slowdown seems to go away. I had the same prob. also, but is back up to speed now.

So if you restart several times it clears up??

Sounds like SP2 is not blending in very well,restarting several times would be like putting it in a blender and whipping it up some.

Could it be that SP2 is not installing in the XP folder??but in a file of its own,that is melted in after a restart??

I'm not sure I have it right here only a question/guess. :unsure: