What is a good place to buy a domain name & have someone host it?  They don't have to be the same place.  Why do some sell them for $19.95 while others sell them for $3.95.  What is the difference?  I thought they were all the same?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

20 Dollars Domains? hahahhaha

Most TRUSTED Companies sell their domains for 5 to 10 dollars a year.

I suggest godaddy.com, and buy me one ok?

Hey,

Yes, most domains are range from around 5 - 10 USD. I bought my domain from godaddy.com, and I have not had a problem with them. As for hosting that can be anywhere from maybe 10 USD to a couple hundred USD (dedicated server(s)), depending on what you get. How much bandwidth, storage space, etc... Bandwidth and storage space are the two main things you are paying for.

B

Someone suggested sightrightnow.com to me & that is where I saw $19.95 for a domain name & $19.95 annual renewal fee. Or you could transfer your existing one for free. Their hosting is $24.95 per month which seems high, but not sure. Can someone take a look & give me your thoughts. Ease in the ability to create a sight is as important as variety of templates & space available to use.

Thanks in advance

Those prices are way to high in my opinion. I'd go with godaddy. They are great and I love their service, they're nice and it's pretty fast too. As for hosting here are few hosts:

http://net-integration.net/ <-- My host he will do custom plans if you need it. The web site is being worked on currently so the hosting page seems to be down temporarily. But I highly recommend them.

http://www.dreamhost.com/ <-- I have heard good things about them.

http://textdrive.com/ <-- I have also heard good things about them.

As for creating the site. Hosting usually has nothing to do with creating the site, but I believe my host does do some work and will make you a site (it costs money though). For programs to help you, I recommend DreamWeaver, nothing else really like it. Some people also like HTML-kit if you know how to do some stuff, also, 1st Page 2000 is good.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

B

Thanks. I don't know what half of this stuff means that I am reading, but sightrightnow.com also offers free ecommerce (which means I could accept credit cards, etc right?) Reading the fine print in the other sites that you listed, it seems that it would cost me more money to add these little things.

I have another related question, what is a sub-domain?

Yes, it means you can accept credit cards. To answer the second question a sub-domain, well the best way to show you would be to give you an example: http://podcast.besttechie.net <-- that is a sub-domain. The podcast part is the sub part of the domain. It's basically a subdivision of the larger domain. If that makes sense. ;)

B

I thought of another one after getting off the phone with them. sightrightnow.com will provide help on making the site & midphase won't. Not a huge deal because midphase will allow me to transfer what I have built from another program over to their place. I have AutoPlay 5.0 & am slowly getting a lot of the basics down like adding links, buttons, pics, text, & videos, etc ... but have never learned how to do really advanced things. For example, I would like to have ecommerce on my site but wouldn't have the faintest clue as to how to do it. When the time comes for me to add that on, will I be able to find the necessary (Code?) that I need to get it done through a help forum maybe even like this one? I got the impression that sightrightnow.com would do it for me. I am still leaning towards midphase.com though.

Thanks in advance

We could probably help you with it, in our web design forum or I'm sure there is software out there you can use to help you. Midphase looks to have ecommerce enabled, so... you may want to talk to them if you do with them and I'm sure they can help you out a bit. Sometimes hosts have software you can use... B)

B