Windows Games On Linux

ya now that i have the internet running i've installed firefox and transferred my whole music collection. those are only 2 of 3 things i need on my computer. the 3rd is games. i know theres cedega and stuff but i was wondering if there are any free programs out there that would allow me to play my windows games.

Wine is often pretty much hit or miss, especially when it comes to games. Give wine a try but you may have better luck with cedega (I believe they provide some sort of support). There is also the loki installer (I dont have a link, google should provide) that makes it alittle easier to install a game. They have specific installers for each game so check for your game. As stated your best bet is native games ie: doom3, ut2k4, neverwinter nights, and i'm sure there are others.

Oh and to answer your question

wine /path/to/executable

Edited by naraku9333
Wine is often pretty much hit or miss, especially when it comes to games. Give wine a try but you may have better luck with cedega (I believe they provide some sort of support). There is also the loki installer (I dont have a link, google should provide) that makes it alittle easier to install a game. They have specific installers for each game so check for your game. As stated your best bet is native games ie: doom3,  ut2k4, neverwinter nights, and i'm sure there are others.

wine /path/to/executable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WINE doesn't provide DirectX to OpenGL translation. Cedega does. That's the only difference.

Wine is often pretty much hit or miss, especially when it comes to games. Give wine a try but you may have better luck with cedega (I believe they provide some sort of support). There is also the loki installer (I dont have a link, google should provide) that makes it alittle easier to install a game. They have specific installers for each game so check for your game. As stated your best bet is native games ie: doom3,  ut2k4, neverwinter nights, and i'm sure there are others.

wine /path/to/executable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

path to executable of what? if you guys wouldnt mind, could you explain the whole process to me of how to install and run a game? if its not to much to ask

I had no idea that it was possible to play Windows games on Linux, so I guess that you can get Windows apps to play on Linux i.e Winamp, Trillian etc... But what about driver updates for graphics cards or sound cards etc...

When I tried Knoppix some hardware doesnt work on my PC and if I use Kubuntu I get the same problem but with something else, I used the Live CDs anyway if things work on Linux that worked on Windows I going to switch over for sure.

P.S. Whats that site which helps you choose which Linux Distro is best for you?

I had no idea that it was possible to play Windows games on Linux, so I guess that you can get Windows apps to play on Linux i.e Winamp, Trillian etc... But what about driver updates for graphics cards or sound cards etc...

When I tried Knoppix some hardware doesnt work on my PC and if I use Kubuntu I get the same problem but with something else, I used the Live CDs anyway if things work on Linux that worked on Windows I going to switch over for sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok.....so about that little tutorial i was asking about

nevermind i figured out how to setup the games. if only the setup process would work. i always get a few errors. i guess you cant really work games with regular wine. everyone keeps saying cedgea but are there any free alternatives out there?

i know this doesnt belong here but i was just wondering about another problem i've been having with the kopete instant messaging program. if i try to connect to my screen name it says it has to dissconnect because i have exceeded the rate limit. then it says to try connecting in 10 minutes so i wait and then i get the same error. whats up here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the hardware that doesn't work?

I do not see any reason you could not use one of the rpms that are made for fedora core 3, but I guess I am not sure.

You could always try and build it from source. It may build smoothly. I just looked at the install build directions, they are simple. Just run this command from inside the directory

./tools/wineinstall

these are the required packages you will need to build it from source. You may already have them installed. If not they are probably all on your install cd. They will be called your developmental packages.

below is from the README file

Basic requirements:

You need to have the X11 development include files installed

(called xlib6g-dev in Debian and XFree86-devel in RedHat).

Build tool requirements:

On x86 Systems gcc >= 2.7.2 is required.

Versions earlier than 2.7.2.3 may have problems when certain files

are compiled with optimization, often due to problems with header file

management. pgcc currently doesn't work with Wine. The cause of this problem

is unknown.

Of course you also need "make" (most likely GNU make).

You also need flex version 2.5 or later and bison.  If you are

using RedHat or Debian, install the flex and bison packages.

i think i'll just install a fedora core 3 one. I don't have the time or patients to develop something myself. (I'm new to the linux world myself. only been usin it for a month and it's on my old computer anyway.)

If there was a way to make all windows games to work flawlessly under linux i would drop M$ in a heartbeat but right now XP stays cause of games and my mom. she probably wouldn't like linux.

i think i'll just install a fedora core 3 one. I don't have the time or patients to develop something myself. (I'm new to the linux world myself. only been usin it for a month and it's on my old computer anyway.)

If there was a way to make all windows games to work flawlessly under linux i would drop M$ in a heartbeat but right now XP stays cause of games and my mom. she probably wouldn't like linux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think the FC3 version should be fine, unless they made drastic changes between FC3 and 4. As to a way to make windows games run flawless, no there isn't. Cedega is the best option, but its no magic elixir. Some of your games MAY work, but dont expect all of them to.

so about my problem with kopete IM. anyone wanna try helping me with that one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the exact error your recieving and what service(aim, yahoo,etc..)?

so about my problem with kopete IM. anyone wanna try helping me with that one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the exact error your recieving and what service(aim, yahoo,etc..)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its saying that it has to disconnect because i have exceeded the rate limit. try connecting again in 10 minutes. when i try again i get the same error. and im using AIM

All I could find this KDE-Forum thread, but it's unresolved. I also found this bug report which looks like what your experiencing, but is or an older version of kopete. What version of Kopete do you have?

Edited by naraku9333

Heres an interesting thing i found. you have to pay and suscribe to get cedega but i found this thing on their website where i think you can get it for free. you think you guys can clear this up for me? check out the following pages

cedega 4.4 main info and stuff

some ways to download. i think the cvs tree is the free way. you guys will have to explain that to me later.

more CVS tree info

Heres an interesting thing i found. you have to pay and suscribe to get cedega but i found this thing on their website where i think you can get it for free. you think you guys can clear this up for me? check out the following pages

some ways to download. i think the cvs tree is the free way. you guys will have to explain that to me later.

more CVS tree info

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only one of those links that lead to a free download is the last. And thats not Cedega but WineX, I was under the impression WineX was the predecessor to Cedega but i'm not certain. You wont get any suport from Trans Gaming if you use WineX, or access to Point 2 Play (which seems like the main reason to subscribe).

more CVS tree info

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only one of those links that lead to a free download is the last. And thats not Cedega but WineX, I was under the impression WineX was the predecessor to Cedega but i'm not certain. You wont get any suport from Trans Gaming if you use WineX, or access to Point 2 Play (which seems like the main reason to subscribe).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WineX is the predecessor of Cedega. I've read about it so I'm pretty sure. Should i try this free download? anything to make my games work. :wacko:

some one taught me this trick for the mac that may work in linux. install the game in windows. take that install and write it do disc. then copy it to your linux setup. ( isuggest doing the same with directX). i tried to install a game with Wine( fedora core 3 version worked fine by the way got an emulator to work just fine) but the only game that would tell me the error was Swat4 and it noticed that it wasn't windows. i figured just do this trick this guy taught me for Call of Duty (this was back before the Mac version came out). I'm guessin you have to do this for direct X also. If anyone wants to try this be my guest.

Edited by Honda_Boy
whats CVS? Whats point2play?  how do i do i go about using this free WineX thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CVS is the concurrent versions system.. This is where software developers keep the newest code. the system allows programmers to check in changes to the program and have it update so everyone will work with the newest version..

point2play is a GUI installer for games under codega.. I would recommend buying it .. its cheep, compared to buying a new copy of windows.. and you help support the people who put there time in and take the effort to do the work Gaming studios refuse to do.

here is a link for direct X 9 support for Wine.. http://directxwine.sourceforge.net/

with codega, the developers do all the work for you (its why you pay).. I would suggest you go to the wine site and learn as much about wine as you can.. if you want it free.

and one more thing.. you are taking programs written for a different system.. its like taking a play station II game and putting it in to a X box and expecting it to just work.. what you should also do is ask game makers to make there games for Linux.. buy Doom III and UT2004 for Linux.. (Its on the windows disk.. so you can install it.. and log in so they see the hits and know people are using it..

this is the only way they will make games for Linux.