Bs On Abc Tonight!

20/20 has a specialy report tonight on hurricane Katrina.

One of the topics is the government is wasting time because most of the folks trapped are black.

Im not sure who it was, but they made the comment that other places that are "wealthier and lighter in skin color" would have recieve help sooner.

THATS BS! How the hell can you even compare that? ANy "wealthier" town would not need the large scale evac. like is needed now! Most of these people ARE poor, and black. Oh, i guess the "white christian" party is just screwing them over, right?

Playing the damn race card is BS. What do they expect the government to do, swoop in, point, and **poof** they are safe and dry? Its not like we have unlimited resources and funds.

I dont feel like typing an essay on this. So, any other thoughts?

OH! I cant wait for "Rev." Jackson to put his 2 cents in... Im sure this is something he dreams about... Oh, we cant forget about Martian Luther King, what ever generation he is now....

EDIT:

Also, sorry if it's confusing to read. i dont write the best when im trying to get in all my thoughts before they leave my head.

EDIT 2:

Also, im sure we all know why this hurricane went where it went and was as strong as it was.

THE RUSSIANS DID IT!

:blush: Couldnt Help It.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Check out my recent "book" on this disaster, in the ranting game thread.

I got more than a bit tv news overdosed on all the whining, demanding, mayhem and murder, and other stuff going on down there.

By the way, if news crews can get in and the road was clear for trucks and buses to the Superdome coliseum, why didn't people just start walking out of town? I sure would have rather than endure being stuck waiting for people to rescue me that is if I'd been dumb enough to not leave in first place by whatever means available including walking if need be.

And why did I only see one news bunch helping people with water, and even boat rides? When is it the moral obligation of those milking the human interest story there to actually help even if they are News Reporters? I hope they can face themselves in the mirror for only reporting on tragedy instead of being part of the solution.

As for the NO mayor playing the race card, why didn't he do his job to get people out of harms way before the hurricane hit, to prepare for such emergencies with food and water stored up, to keep the peace afterwords, to call in whatever assistance needed, to push early on for more help when he saw his way of hands off wasn't working? Where was he all this time himself???

Sorry forgot this 'aint' my rant. Back to you.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

The NO's mayor is playing the the race card to? Oh good greif...

Ok, ill read your book ;):)

Oh! Now people are bitching because they dont have elctricity and its 90 degress out side. "Her baby jsut cant hanle it".

So, what did people do before the AC?

Weve had heat indicies (sp?) over 110 nearly all summer. Ive got 2 window ACs for a 4 bedroom house. I dont want to hear about their heat problems, okee dokie? Good greif. Is everyone so spoiled? If you choose to live in the south, dont compalin about the heat! ITS THAT SIMPLE!

Edited by Bubba Bob

Ya he cussed and said the Fkn G'metn would have Fkn helped if it were some fkn rich white ppl. Where the Fk is the Gment and so on...the NO's G'vnor

I think they should stop playing the race card...Its called war taking all our funds... Im offering my house ( possibly) and i dont want someone who is going to complain.

well the hurricane itself didnt do much damage in a sense. It was that darn faulty levee....

Oh! Now people are bitching because they dont have elctricity and its 90 degress out side. "Her baby jsut cant hanle it".

Weve had heat indicies (sp?) over 110 nearly all summer. Ive got 2 window ACs for a 4 bedroom house. I dont want to hear about their heat problems, okee dokie? Good greif. Is everyone so spoiled? If you choose to live in the south, dont compalin about the heat! ITS THAT SIMPLE!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm you still have a house? And you're bitching about people who have lost everything they have and have been without food and water for five days?

I'd just as soon keep this kind of crap out of BT. At best this should have been posted in the rant thread.

Oh, wow, Bubbabob, I honestly never paid attention to the footage I saw on the news channels--I just saw "people", but turning on the television and watching more closely, the footage is mostly of Dark Complected Folks (they keep changing what they want to be called, I can't keep up anymore). Guess I am colorblind with people.

My thoughts on New Orleans was that everyone gave a "sigh of relief" when Katrina originally spared them, only for the levies to break a day after--an unexpected disaster, which caught our government "with their pants down" (although I think they should have prepared better beforehand for the entire area in Katrina's path).

And I agree with Pat, if I were in that situation and had no way to get out of town, I would have started walking. If someone picked me up, great, but if not, at least I would be farther away from the danger. But I've always been too self reliant and stubborn for my own good.

I sure hope this doesn't turn into a race-card issue. :(

*The Mayor was cussing?!?? That's really unprofessional, no matter what the situation.

Liz

Edited by blim

...well anyone who doesn't see the race issues being played out here..or perhaps the class issue..i'm really not sure which it is yet..is looking thru rose colored glasses...

this is a delicate matter at best..and i'll try to respect your point of view bubba bob..but as a 56 year old white male..i am not comfortable with what i'm seeing and hearing..and i'm not willing to dismiss the idea that race/class issues have not been at play somehow..

do a little research on the public Charity hospital evacuation...and ask why the hospital staff of the private Tulane hospital(right next door) were evacuated before the patients at charity...i don't have all the answers..but there are legitimet question being raised in my opinion..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm you still have a house? And you're bitching about people who have lost everything they have and have been without food and water for five days?

I'd just as soon keep this kind of crap out of BT. At best this should have been posted in the rant thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, that comment in reference to some Mississpians who had mearly lost their electricty.

That New Orleans mayor is no Rudy Giuliani when it comes to managing a crisis. It's easy to stand in one spot, point fingers and start assigning blame. Why wasn't he busing the folks out of the city BEFORE the tragedy when he ordered the evacuation? Now all the local school buses are under water and doing no good for anyone. Why didn't he have quantities of emergency food and water staged within the city?

That New Orleans mayor is no Rudy Giuliani when it comes to managing a crisis.  It's easy to stand in one spot, point fingers and start assigning blame.  Why wasn't he busing the folks out of the city BEFORE the tragedy when he ordered the evacuation?  Now all the local school buses are under water and doing no good for anyone.  Why didn't he have quantities of emergency food and water staged within the city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm really not going to engage in this level of "discussion"

but the mayor of n.o. managed to get 80% of his residents out..in a relatively short time..he has 200,000 people stranded with no water/food or basic necessities..he's got thousands dead and dying...he's got a governor who declares a day of prayer..instead of a day of get the help out..and politicians all over the media holding press conferences..thanking each other..while his city dies..i think he's entitled to a bit of cussing..

That New Orleans mayor is no Rudy Giuliani when it comes to managing a crisis.  It's easy to stand in one spot, point fingers and start assigning blame.  Why wasn't he busing the folks out of the city BEFORE the tragedy when he ordered the evacuation?  Now all the local school buses are under water and doing no good for anyone.  Why didn't he have quantities of emergency food and water staged within the city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I somewhat agree, although they were offering free bus rides, by the time they did that, it was pretty much too late. This whole situation has been known about for decades. The levees were built to withstand catagory 3 storms. Nothing has been done to beef up the defenses for this city. The blame can be pretty much spread everywhere. I blame the lack of immediate response directly on the Feds. I'm no expert on disasters, but even I could see this coimg. 4 days to get food and water in there is ridiculous. The airport was fully functional. There should have been aircraft from every state loaded and ready to go abou t 2 days before the storm hit.

Edit: Moving 2 million people at a moments notice is impossible. The highways cannot handle it.

Edited by Makai

"i think he's entitled to a bit of cussing.."

i DONT. The mayor should set the example. The LAST thing the rest of the city needs is there mayor to give a speech that only makes them angry. The place looks like it's mainly choas right now, and anger is the last thing they need.

OH! Jesse Jackson is there now! Yiipie! Their savoir. I knew he'd show up. Now we can all relax...

OK I gotta say something.

As a parent you have a responsability to protect your family. Cat5 hurricane coming your way LEAVE!!

Ok you don't have money, Half the city can't use that excuse. Media is coming in and out, do they have anyone aside from their crew? I don't think so. Why sit in the same place fo 5 days starving, walk, do something for yourself.

Oh the President didn't approve the money to upgrade the levees, damn their are more than one person in the government. It could have been pushed, lobbied. It would have taken alot of money to make New Orleans ready for a direct hit from a Cat5. It is a bowl built in a marsh. A marsh is layers of rotting matter with little foundation.

I hurt for these people. We will all feel the pain from this for a long time. New Orleans is/was a major shipping port. What will happen with that. The Gulf of Mexico move around 25 percent of the oil the US used. This was either from drilling or by import. There are structures in the Gulf that are just gone. The safety valves were in place to keep a major disaster from happening with them.

My head is starting to get a little jumbled, can't type as fast as I think.

M

i DONT. The mayor should set the example. The LAST thing the rest of the city needs is there mayor to give a speech that only makes them angry. The place looks like it's mainly choas right now, and anger is the last thing they need.

OH! Jesse Jackson is there now! Yiipie! Their savoir. I knew he'd show up. Now we can all relax...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..you're trying to oversimplify a much more complex situation...and you're getting uncomfortable close to making overtly racist statements..i can't offer you any respect for that..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm really not going to engage in this level of "discussion"

but the mayor of n.o. managed to get 80% of his residents out..in a relatively short time..he has 200,000 people stranded with no water/food or basic necessities..he's got thousands dead and dying...he's got a governor who declares a day of prayer..instead of a day of get the help out..and politicians all over the media holding press conferences..thanking each other..while his city dies..i think he's entitled to a bit of cussing..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. The response to this has been horrible.

"Ok you don't have money, Half the city can't use that excuse. Media is coming in and out, do they have anyone aside from their crew? I don't think so. Why sit in the same place fo 5 days starving, walk, do something for yourself."

Brilliantly written, Mike, and I totally agree!!!!!

And the looting and shooting and lawlessness is inexcusable (a two year old got trampled to death during a stampede--a two year old--makes me tear up thinking of it!!). I heard 11 cops turned in their badges today :(

*But I do have to agree with Bubbabob that "The LAST thing the rest of the city needs is there mayor to give a speech that only makes them angry"

Liz

Edited by blim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..you're trying to oversimplify a much more complex situation...and you're getting uncomfortable close to making overtly racist statements..i can't offer you any respect for that..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's fine. Im not looking for anyones respect. Im getting close to making racist statements? Good greif! Im making fun of the fact that Jackson has to stick his nose in anything dealing WITH race. HE is the racist one!

ALot of Blacks seem to worship him. News flash, hes not trying to end rascim! He makes money off of rascim! Do people not realize this??

My head is starting to get a little jumbled

DOnt ya hate that? I wish my brain had a pause button so i could type my thoughts out.

Oh! On a lighter note.

You cant tell me LA doesnt have the cash to help themsleves. It's nearly impossible to drive throguh Bossier Parish w/o getting a speeding ticket! I swear they planted the plants in the median so they could put troopers behind them <_<:rolleyes:

Edited by Bubba Bob
You guys are gonna start walking out of town with a catagory 5 hurricane that is 200 miles wide bearing down on you? Yeah, that's a good plan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They had a week's notice that it was coming, if I had no other way than to walk to higher ground and a better place to take shelter rather than drown, I'd get moving towards a better chance to survive, even at 61 with bad back and all. Maybe I could get lucky and get picked up by someone driving out. As for walking out afterwards, that looks like a better bet than staying put. Walk at night when cooler like they do in desert country when stranded. Try to get to safe spot during day to rest. I don't know how many miles it would be there, but it sure sounds better than waiting for someone to get their act together to rescue me.

It wouldn't matter whether I had a relatives or friends to go to, just go and then get to the shelters that were set up wherever it is higher ground and away from ocean. Will that choice be always safe, no, but it beats getting stuck where they are now. I prefer higher ground to a water logged attic or tree top. And since I don't swim, I'd rather be on higher ground further inland.

I think the issue isn't a black issue per se', but I heard that stastically NO had over 65% black people, and many many of them poor people. I am just not buying the whole victim mentality story that all of the poor and black stayed in town because they were to poor before checks came in on 1st to get out of town. I don't like the underlying tone of some news media that seems to think because they are poor and black that they are totally helpless or not smart enough to get out of town somehow. I think that is what the race card underlying inferrence is, and I object to it totally. Being poor of whatever race, does not mean you don't have the ability to think, plan a way, and move out, to do whatever is needed for survival. In fact when you are poor, you have to be smart enough to survive all the struggles. I am not talking about those people who truly were to sick, or handicapped to move out, though still someone in the family should have helped them get out. That is what families are supposed to do, but in this society we have transferred that family responsibility role to the government, which is not a good choice as we can see by the news.

I agree the richer places, such as some hospitals, and some hotels were rescued first, which I don't understand. Better on-site planning perhaps, don't know. I also don't know why those guests in those hotels didn't get their butts out of their before the storm, duh!!!! How dumb can tourists be to stay when a hurricane is coming???

Sethook, that is exactly what I was thinking. Why didn't they use whatever transportation they could to move people? School buses, church buses, public buses, even city vehicles? No planning, or no implentation of any plan whichever.

I am so sorry folks are still stuck there, or dead and dying there.

But another thing that we see after every hurricane including this one, are the people who say they thought they could ride it out, but next time they will leave. Slow learners is all I can say!!!!

I think it is time once they get the people out of harms way, to help them get back on their feet, get them settled somewhere where they can reach up for a better life for themselves and their children. As for returning to 'home', sorry folks it's gone. Make a new life for your family and Praise God you are still alive to do so.

What happened, just out of curiousity, to all the people in jails and prisons there? Were they turned loose to become part of the problem? I haven't heard a word about them.

I'm sorry about steaming off like this here and elsewhere, but some things should be allowed to be discussed without someone saying oh don't talk like that. I am not talking against any race or class, I am talking about taking responsibility for your own family, life, and the choices you make. I agree we should help, and I do help others, and I wrote a large check that will be matched by Intel to go to Red Cross to help in this disaster. But it didn't need to be as big a human disaster as it turned out to be, that is all I am saying. I have also done my crying over it, and am still praying for the people in this terrible disaster.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

"Wow! This isn't a racist tragedy, it's a human tragedyyou people make me sick."

Makai, I think that's exactly what folks are trying to say, and angry about some people making it a race issue. People are people, no matter what color they are, and some folks are upset that the media is playing "the race card".

Gotta post it, if it's read carefully, its a message of inspiration and hope vs. "modern day" messages of accusations and "race cards"

MLK's Dream Speech

Liz

What has happened in New Orleans is a terrible tragedy. It will take time to resolve this awful destruction. However, we won't accomplish anything by beating up on each other.

I can understand why emotions have been stirred up by this event; it is perhaps the worst thing to ever happen in North America.

Please calm down a bit:-)

I've been terribly upset by this tragedy as well. It is a terrible thing to witness when society breaks down. Hopefully order will be restored soon and the victims will receive the help that they need.