Recently, starting about 8 days ago, we started seeing quite a few (11 so far) Maxtor external hdd's all with the same problem.

For one reason or another, they all seem to have lost their file allocation tables and partition information. They all show up in the bios and even on Windows disk management on the server platforms, but they can not be mounted or assigned a drive letter.

So far 8 of them have been accessable thru DOS and the contents retrieved, but the other 3 are DOA.

We have tried DOS, 95,98,XP, W2K3 server and Linux and none of the systems can access the drives, partition the drive or even format them.

I wonder if these are suddenly going to become a problem item or is it just gremlins?

Anyone else have any issues with these drives? (they range in size from 40 to 200 Gb's and are all between 1 and 3 years old)

...well i had a 160gb(Maxtor) fail after just over a year(out of warranty by a month)..but it was an internal...from the anecdotal stories i've seen on a number of boards..i seems Maxtor has recently experienced quality issues..as you yourself report....

i've switched to Seagate..mostly because of the 5 year warranty and because they're so quiet.. :blink::unsure:

Recently, starting about 8 days ago, we started seeing quite a few (11 so far) Maxtor external hdd's all with the same problem.

For one reason or another, they all seem to have lost their file allocation tables and partition information. They all show up in the bios and even on Windows disk management on the server platforms, but they can not be mounted or assigned a drive letter.

So far 8 of them have been accessable thru DOS and the contents retrieved, but the other 3 are DOA.

We have tried DOS, 95,98,XP, W2K3 server and Linux and none of the systems can access the drives, partition the drive or even format them.

I wonder if these are suddenly going to become a problem item or is it just gremlins?

Anyone else have any issues with these drives? (they range in size from 40 to 200 Gb's and are all between 1 and 3 years old)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've had a few 200 gigs just plain croak. i stopped using maxtors since.