ok, so my friend, he has windows ME, that's all i know about his computer so far, he asked me if i could fix it because i refuse to let him call geeksquad, i am going to borrow his PC and try to fix it, along with your help.

his problem is that everything is really slow, his computer has never really been up to par, he himself doesn't know much about computers besides how to use the internet, he calls his computer a modem, lol.

what should i do first, i know i should try to run virus checkers and spyware removers, but i don't know anything about windows ME, any tips on what i should do to revive his computer?

you pretty much have the answer already....delete your temp files...run all you spyware and virus programs....you need at least 128 ram.....I've found with winme you need to reboot a couple of time a day to renew all your rescources...contrary to popular belief winme is a stable os if you know what you're doing...I've used wimme for almost 5 years and reinstalled only once.

Edited by bearskin
ok, so my friend, he has windows ME, that's all i know about his computer so far, he asked me if i could fix it because i refuse to let him call geeksquad, i am going to borrow his PC and try to fix it, along with your help.

his problem is that everything is really slow, his computer has never really been up to par, he himself doesn't know much about computers besides how to use the internet, he calls his computer a modem, lol.

what should i do first, i know i should try to run virus checkers and spyware removers, but i don't know anything about windows ME, any tips on what i should do to revive his computer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Bearskin hit it on the head, most pc users from what I've seen, don't know what they are doing. My father also calls it a modem. ME just seems to have more issues than other Windows operating systems. The professors I had hated it and said it was the worst. I don't know if I would go that far since memory issues really didn't get resolved till XP came out. But anyway, besides doing all the scans for virus and malware problems, do a scandisk and defrag in that order. Adaware, A Squared (A2), Spybot, IE Spyad, and Winpatrol all do a fine job of cleaning up your pc and keeping it that way. If he doesn't want to pay money, AVG and Sygate would be what I would use for virus protection and a soft firewall. The other programs are also free. I would also suggest going online and getting a free scan from Trend Micro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other than what has been mentioned, I would be sure the Hard drive isn't full or close to it. Might want to run a HiJackThis log and Post it on the HJT forum.

Go through the Add/Remove Programs and ask your friend what he needs to keep and what can get tossed.

Why not just back up all critical data and clean install the os...start fresh...install all the previously mentioned utilities..and show your friend how to maintain his machine...

:blink:  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That works too, if you still can, also get the Microsoft updates for that os. I don't know if you still can or not.

Why not just back up all critical data and clean install the os...start fresh...install all the previously mentioned utilities..and show your friend how to maintain his machine...

:blink:  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That works too, if you still can, also get the Microsoft updates for that os. I don't know if you still can or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good point...bearskin might know if it's still supported..but i'm sure the updates are available somewhere..if not on the auto update feature.... :blink::)

how bout this unplug the keyboard,mouse, monitor, and anything else hooked and throw the thing out the window and put a new one in it's place. :rolleyes:

Actually i had extreme issues with ME back when it was on my gateway. i ended downgrading to 98se and had very few probs since only prob i had that i've recently figured out, Call of Duty ran slower but bf1942 ran better. Turns out my AGP drivers were missing so windows thought it was PCI i've since fixed that using my fx5700 ultra's driver disk. Just put 98 or XP on it if you can and trough in some more ram. The previously mentioned gateway originally had 64mb. It's amazing the thing even ran. it now has 512mb (PIII 800MHz 64mb GeForce2MX400) the thing can even hold it's own in swat 4 now.

Honda Boy it seems you have bitter feeling about winme...I've used win 1.01, win3.1, win 3.11, win 95, win 98, winnt 4.0, and win me with very few problems...oh, I did have problems with win 1.01....I could never get the mouse to work...have a nice day.

Honda Boy it seems you have bitter feeling about winme...I've used win 1.01, win3.1, win 3.11, win 95, win 98, winnt 4.0, and win me with very few problems...oh, I did have problems with win 1.01....I could never get the mouse to work...have a nice day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you shake it by its tail? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks Parrotgeek...I needed that.