Hello .... My first post :blink: ..... heard about this fourm from the old tech tv site .... may it rest in peace. :(

I'm trying to figure out why winamp won't play Real Time with Bill Maher file I downloaded.

I have last week's show it didn't play at first as well, then I went to winamps site and looked at the troubleshooting section and found out about software (ffdshow)that was needed. I downloaded and installed it and the video played.

This week's show won't play ... I downloaded from two different sources and I get the same results. I load the file and nothing happens. The ffshow that opens when I click on last week's show plays fine, but it will not open when I click on the lastest file.

I used the Gspot software listed at the site and found it was a AVI file .... I tried the DIVX player and I get a message : The file contains the following data:" Video data: FOURCC code "XVID". You may need to install a new video code on your computer to watch this video."

I search for and found the software and installed it .... still no playback.

When I used Gspot on the file that playes I get the same information it gives for the one that won't play.

Is there anyone that understands winamp and how to solve this problem ..... if more information is needed I will provided it. I am running winXP. .... I have winamp 5.094.

In the ffshow I made sure all that need to be enable was enable as per instuctions at the winamp site.

.... Is there anyone that understands what is happening ..... please respond. ...... :wacko:

:( Aren't there any winamp techies on the fourm? :unsure::wacko::blink:

Here is some added info ...

I installed a XviD codec and Gspot sees it.

I checked Gspot again and got these messages ....

"The following codecs should both be capable of processing this format.

-->XviD MPEG-4 Codec

-->XviD MPEG-4 Video decoder

Nonetheless, DirectShow is apparently NOT able to play this file (see "DirectShow Render" below.) No further information is available concerning the apparent discrepancy."

"DirectShow was unable to render file. Following is the error it reported: 0x8004011:[unknown]"

Any ideas?

If I didn't mention it. I tried other players too, (WMP, RM, QT, and others) but still no go.

:(

Hi Spirittoo and welcome to Besttechies!!

Someone here is bound to find a solution to your winamp problem--between the hurricane and school starting up, folk's schedules are probably wacko right now. I'm afraid I can't help but I will put this back on the top of the heap for you :)

Liz

Thanks for the bump and the welcome :thumbsup:

Ok ... I took part of the error message about the DirectShow and googled it.

I found a link to a website. It was in Spanish and the translation was rough, but there was a link to some software call VirtualDub.

I installed it then loaded up the file and got this message:

"VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR and audio encoding in the source AVI file (audio stream1)

The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for a better compatibility. This may introduce up to 3302ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the entire audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate:121+/- 14.0 kbps)

Do you still want to rewrite the header?"

I told it yes and it played the file. The picture was great, the only problem was the audio was choppy at time and out of sync (late) with the video by a few seconds.

I looked through the help files of this program for anything on decompression, but found nothing. Does anyone know what they are talking about. It would have to be other software that does this ..... correct? :huh::blink::wacko::unsure:

I used a bit torrent and got it from two different sources. The file can't be courrpted. It played with that VirtualDub software I found. I just would like to know how to do what they suggest so the audio and video are in sync again. The picture was great .... it just the sound was choppy at times and out of sync.

Anyone knows what they are talking about in the instructions I posted? :blink:

Thanks for your post. ^_^

Edited by spirittoo
Doesn't anyone know how to carry out those instructions? :(  :wacko:  :huh:  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would get TMPGenc and in the MPG Tools choose the simple demux. This will separate the video and audio streams. I would then recode to whatever file type you would like, mpg, avi, and etc.This should correct the sync or audio problems. Well not always but it has worked for me before.....

Doesn't anyone know how to carry out those instructions? :(  :wacko:  :huh:  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would get TMPGenc and in the MPG Tools choose the simple demux. This will separate the video and audio streams. I would then recode to whatever file type you would like, mpg, avi, and etc.This should correct the sync or audio problems. Well not always but it has worked for me before.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you provide a link to this program. Will I be able to get good information on how to run it? :unsure: Thanks. :thumbsup: