Well, this has me scratching my head wondering what now?!?

Everything has been working great til last night. It seems the gremlins have found me and are working overtime.

When I try to close an email in Outlook Express with the red X, it closes down OE completely and puts me back at my desktop. It also takes several tries to highlite and delete email addys before I forward. Then when I try to delete an email, it deletes 2 or 3 at the same time.

When I'm in a website on IE6 and use the back arrow, it takes me out of the website to my start window.

Also clicking the Start button opens the start menu then shuts back down immediately. Takes several tries to keep it on screen

There may be other things it's doing but I can't remember at this time.

These things don't happen every time, maybe 5 or 6 times out of 8. I'm using WinXP Home SP2 and all updates were installed when released. Norton Anti-virus (updated) run, Ad-Aware run, Symantec Security Ck - clean. I've deleted temp files, history, checked defrag (not needed yet), did a disk cleanup.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on? I HOPE it's something easy...I'm not to well acquainted with all this computerese.

Many thanks!

Unfortunately, I have NOOOO clue how to do that kind of stuff.  Especially with the registry...I wouldn't even attempt to touch that.  Oh, well....looks like I call Gateway tomorrow.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might try a system restore if you have a fairly new restore point. It might be worth a try because it should have the settings for IE.......

Unfortunately, I have NOOOO clue how to do that kind of stuff.  Especially with the registry...I wouldn't even attempt to touch that.  Oh, well....looks like I call Gateway tomorrow.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have Norton Win Doctor, that may work instead of messing up the registry, an alternative.

Just had a wierd occurance with the mouse. While playing solitare, when I held the button down for a few extra seconds the cards started jumping around. Could any of the above problems be associated in some way with my mouse? Everything stems from a mouse click.

Or am I being too hopeful...LOL!

Just had a wierd occurance with the mouse.  While playing solitare, when I held the button down for a few extra seconds the cards started jumping around.  Could any of the above problems be associated in some way with my mouse?  Everything stems from a mouse click. 

Or am I being too hopeful...LOL!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe try another mouse if you have one. It might be one of the buttons is sticking sometimes and giving multiple clicks or something. I know my wireless one starts going wacky like that when the batteries are getting low......

Mouse is always cleaned every 2 weeks at least...usually sooner. Have 2 cats...and their hair gets in and on everything. I'm in the process of checking with friends that might have an extra mouse I can borrow. Path of least resistance...in this case, simple and free. If I rule that out then I go to the next level.

Unless I missed it you didn't say what OS you're using. If it's Windows '9x you could be running out of system resource memory. Let us know if that may be the case. <edit> Doh, I should have inferred from your attempt at a System Restore that it's XP. Nevermind (darn, the second time I had to do that today!).

Edited by JDoors