I figured out how to use Real VNC on my local network - but what if I want to access it from an outside computer how do I set that up?

Please help!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you wanting to set up a network? Or is the network set up and you want to know how to access it?

I figured out how to use Real VNC on my local network - but what if I want to access it from an outside computer how do I set that up?

Please help!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you wanting to set up a network? Or is the network set up and you want to know how to access it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Easiest way is by ip address>

Things you'll have to do to access your network from the outside>

1) Make sure you router has ports 5800-5900 forwarded to a static ip address

(your host machine)

2) Make sure that host machine has VNC server running and has a password on it

3) Make sure your firewalls allow VNC to pass thru

From there, you can start the local VNC viewer and access any other system on your network.

So, say my outside ip address in 31.1.1.1 and my server is 192.168.1.50

My router is set to forward ports 5800-5900, tcp and udp to ip 192.168.1.50

In The vnc viewer I would type in that address (31.1.1.1) and then the server sjould prompt me for the password.

From there I open the VNC viewer and type in my second pcs ip address ( ex 192.168.1.100)

That gave me an ip starting with 68.  That goes to my router. I can't access that from an outside computer (like at someone else's house right?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, your router usually starts with 192.

a quick way to check your ip is log into your router and go to status. under the WAN settings it should give you an ip address, thats your modem/external ip address.

What I did was enter my router's settings and typed inthe following under applicatins gaming (linksys)

Application - i put realvnc

start - 5800

end - 5900

TCp and UDP Protocol

ip address: 192.168.2.1

and I checked the enable box.

Did I do something wrong?

What I did was enter my router's settings and typed inthe following under applicatins gaming (linksys)

Application - i put realvnc

start - 5800

end - 5900

TCp and UDP Protocol

ip address: 192.168.2.1

and I checked the enable box.

Did I do something wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes. .1 is the router. it's not the IP of the machine that u wanna handle vnc thru.

u can't really setup to 'get to any machine' using this method. u CAN setup to get to ONE machine. and that machine's IP is the one should enter here and check.

eg - u wanna reach PC1 at 192.168.1.10, u setup PC1 at static .10 and then setup the checkbox in port forwarding as such.

u SHOULD setup all such machines as 'static' to do this.

and i should add that the only protection u have here is the VNC password. make it a GOOD one since anyone can 'see' the service and they'll know what it is ;)

Edited by skeet6961

Things you'll have to do to access your network from the outside>

1) Make sure you router has ports 5800-5900 forwarded to a static ip address

(your host machine)

2) Make sure that host machine has VNC server running and has a password on it

3) Make sure your firewalls allow VNC to pass thru

The bold part is what you missed.

You really only need to set 1 static ip and then you can use the common name ( familypc, mylaptop,pc2 etc) in the VNC viewer to access the other pcs with dynamic ips (as long as netbios/beui is intsalled so the name can be resolved)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have been playing with this off and on and now I'm really confused.

Let's start from where I am at.

I have a cable modem, from there I have a wired router. A wireless router is plugged into one of the holes in the back of the wired router.

Cable Modem -----> Wired Router ----> Wireless Router

The PC with VNC Server on it is accessing the network through the wireless router. The laptop (while at home) is accessing through the wired router (I plug it directly into the network). When I leave to go on the road, I would like to access it by ip address:portnumber.

I entered setup on both the wired router and wireless router and set the following:

WIRED ROUTER - Advanced, Forwarding

Service Port Range: 5800-5900

Protocol: Both TCP and UDP

Ip Address: (already filled in 192.168.1.___) I filled in 100

WIRELESS ROUTER - Under Applications & Gaming, Port Range:

Application: REAL VNC

Start: 5800

End: 5900

Protocol: both TCP and UDP

IP Address (already filled in as 192.168.2.___) I filled in 100.

Enable Box checked

Am I way off here??? I saw some tabs under my WIRED router that says Dynamic Routing and Static Routing. I assume I should not even be worried about configuring my wireless router considering I will never be connecting to the PC with VNC Server on it wirelessly. I will always be connecting through the wired or away from home and by ip address.

Please help!

Another update. I was playing around on my wired router forwarding tab and figured out how to forward my outside ip address to my wired router.

When I typed in the outside ip address I was prompted for a user name and password (to my wired router)

Am I on the right track? Isn't that not right to through access to my wired router out there for the WWW. I mean all they have to do is crack the password and they are in.

Is this not wise?

Edited by rjmiller15
Another update.  I was playing around on my wired router forwarding tab and figured out how to forward my outside ip address to my wired router.

When I typed in the outside ip address I was prompted for a user name and password (to my wired router)

Am I on the right track?  Isn't that not right to through access to my wired router out there for the WWW.  I mean all they have to do is crack the password and they are in.

Is this not wise?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you mean you can access your router config from outside then no, you shouldnt need to access remotely and its a security risk. In the wired router config foreward the ports to the wireless router, then in wireless router config foreward to the VNC server.

On your wireless router, instead of forwarding 5800-5900, try just forwarding port 80, since your wireless is actin only as a switch and you need to access the internet thru port 80. Just a hunch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Changing to port 80 makes no sense, PG7 - even if she did have nested NAT routers.

It isn't acting as just a switch/AP, but it should be. Notice that she has two subnets - 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24. Unless there's a specific need for it, it's not wise to nest NAT routers.

Connect your wireless router to your wired router using LAN ports - don't use the WAN port on the wireless router. You'll need to also change the address of the wireless router and disable the DHCP server on one router.

When you entered the external IP of your router (the 68.x.x.x address) in your web browser you got the HTTP interface because the traffic was never routed through the external interface - the router knows it came from the internal network so it allowed it. Linksys disables remote administration by default, but just for kicks double check that it's disabled. It is a security risk you don't need.

You still need to use a static address for the machine you are forwarding too. The 192.168.1.100 address you used is in Linksys's default DHCP pool. You need to manually assign an address to the machine outside of the 192.168.1.100-200 range.

Edited by CataclysmCow

If she wants to route the internet traffic to the 2nd router, with a different subnet, then she should point the first router at the default gateway of the 2nd and then forward those ports also. Although, I agree, having 2 subnets makes it more cumbersome. Thie first router should be able to handle all of the dhcp so there really is no need for a 2nd one.

She can set the static ip to something like 192.168.X.50 and the dns server to be the gateway address of the router and it should work.